Re: Panel at LepreCon this Saturday night

  • toddashi
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2012
      Thanks! The other panelist and I did have a good discussion. He is a long-time anime fan dating back to 1985, as am I. I went through all of my notes about yuri, yaoi, transgender characters, and my list of bisexual characters.

      Sadly, no one came to listen to our panel, but we had fun anyway. It was a maybe 500-person convention with 6+ simultaneous tracks of programming, which was a bit overkill.

      Todd

      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mara_papimer" <in_the_name_of_union7@...> wrote:

      > Best of luck with your panel.
      >
      > If it is recorded I am sure everyone would love to see it!
      >
      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "toddashi" <ashi@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi! I will be on a panel at LepreCon 38 in Tempe, Arizona, Saturday April 7 at 7pm, called "LGBT Characters in Manga & Anime." LepreCon is a science fiction convention that invited me as a panelist.
      > >
      > > I will have one other panelist with me. I have some notes on yuri and yaoi and lists of lesbian, gay, bi, and trans characters I could think of. I also have several manga and anime to recommend.
      > >
      > > Someone on the convention committee voiced concerns that I would be discussing sexual acts in the panel. I waited a bit, then calmly replied that no, I would be discussing characters and how they are portrayed. I went into some detail about yuri, yaoi, and recent transgender characters. After that, the panel was approved.
      > >
      > > I will also bring a few yuri manga to show off, including Yuri Monogatari 5. I know I have 6 around somewhere. I am reading it in the pic by my bio for the con.
      > >
      > > I don't know if they record their panels, but if I notice anyone recording, I'll ask about getting a copy after the panel.
      > >
      > > Todd

    • mara_papimer
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2012
        Geh! I am so sorry to hear that no-one came. It is good to hear that you had a good time regardless, please do not let this put you off doing a panel again.