Transformation in Magical Girl Anime

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2012
      Having finished up my presentation at YayCon last weekend, I'm now moving on to a different audience - a high school anime club. ^_^

      A local high school is having me in to do a presentation and I decided to discuss the theme of transformation in magical girl anime, as it provides visual cues and it's easy to discuss some of the other tropes of the genre from the transformation scenes (including commercialization.)

      Just for fun, here are the Youtube clips I hope to be showing for the lecture, although I'm not sure the Nanoha one will be used. Enjoy!

      Sailor Moon - Transformations:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsX0VHMw_Z8

      HeartCatch PreCure! Transformation full complete version:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq72Lj7s1sQ

      Revolutionary Girl Utena "Absolute Destiny: Apocalypse"
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3e2GwpZ7ug

      Adolescence of Utena - Transformation scene:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpBADDqMUs0

      Nanoha's StrikerS - Transformation:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUXNjUIsF78

      Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Group Transformation:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSIKkvbRRRo

      Sayaka transforms to witch ~mahou shoujo madoka:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSUH9-uOH3A (3:32)

      Homura vs Walpurgis Night Witch:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S75J91jx8BA

    • Lorena
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2012
        I think that is a good choise. And this amv are all awesome, I enjoy all of them. I also think that there is no problem with Nanoha's one, it's very asexual, more then that, I think you have to post also Fate transformation:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=9YALdKXXCn8
        and the difference between child Nanoha, teenager Nanoha and woman Nanoha transformation.
        I am so envious of the fact that U.S. high school have manga club because in Italy and Argentina there are not.
        Good luck with the presentation.
        Lorena

        > Having finished up my presentation at YayCon last weekend, I'm now moving on to a different audience - a high school anime club. ^_^
        >
        > A local high school is having me in to do a presentation and I decided to discuss the theme of transformation in magical girl anime, as it provides visual cues and it's easy to discuss some of the other tropes of the genre from the transformation scenes (including commercialization.)
        >
        > Just for fun, here are the Youtube clips I hope to be showing for the lecture, although I'm not sure the Nanoha one will be used. Enjoy!
        >
        > Sailor Moon - Transformations:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsX0VHMw_Z8
        >
        > HeartCatch PreCure! Transformation full complete version:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq72Lj7s1sQ
        >
        > Revolutionary Girl Utena "Absolute Destiny: Apocalypse"
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3e2GwpZ7ug
        >
        > Adolescence of Utena - Transformation scene:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpBADDqMUs0
        >
        > Nanoha's StrikerS - Transformation:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUXNjUIsF78
        >
        > Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Group Transformation:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSIKkvbRRRo
        >
        > Sayaka transforms to witch ~mahou shoujo madoka:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSUH9-uOH3A (3:32)
        >
        > Homura vs Walpurgis Night Witch:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S75J91jx8BA

      • Katherine Hanson
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2012
          That sounds like a fun presentation. Good luck with it! :-)

          Great clips. Even though the Sailor Moon transformations are notorious for how often they've been repeated, the SM vid still made my inner kid jump up and down. The others are neat too.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 9, 2012
            To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            From: smithie_28@...
            Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 20:19:10 -0700
            Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Transformation in Magical Girl Anime

            > That sounds like a fun presentation. Good luck with it! :-)

            > Great clips. Even though the Sailor Moon transformations are notorious for how often they've been repeated, the SM vid still made my inner kid jump up and down. The others are neat too.

            Me too! I was sitting there listening to Zettai Unmei Mokishiroku or the Sailor Moon sequences and singing along, amazed at how much emotion the evoked in me. ^_^