Re: [Yuricon] Re: Black Rock Shooter Finale - What did you think?

  • Katherine Hanson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 26, 2012
      Madoka was definitely better. Like BRS, it didn't waste any time telling its story- but it never lost its way, and ended with a bang.

      >I have to say I'm really getting tired of anime that uses the victimization of young people as a driver for the plot, without *ever* considering blaming the adults who victimize them in the first place. UGH. Much like "Harry Potter," "Matilda," or "James and Giant Peach," neglect and abuse are portrayed as y'know, the thing that makes the protagonist want to escape, but never as an actual crime.

      I hadn't thought about that, but that is a good point. I'm biased by the fact that I liked Matilda and Harry Potter growing up (at least the early HP books, before J.K. Rowling let her pacing become unnecessarily sluggish and bloated, and the later movies, which trimmed some of the books' fat), partly because of its protagonists being able to get away from their horrible guardians and show them up by being unique. While what you're pointing out is problematic, I think most kids who read those stories are getting the message that it's not bad to be smart/talented/unique and horrible circumstances can improve, rather than that child abuse isn't criminal. But I'm just speaking from my own reaction. Since Black Rock Shooter is aimed at adults, it does give Yuu's suffering a whiff of exploitation that isn't present (for me) in something like Harry Potter.