Re: [Yuricon] Black Rock Shooter Finale - What did you think?

  • Katherine Hanson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 25, 2012
      Oh, and the subtext levels in BRS, Lagrange, and MP are pretty much the same.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 25, 2012
        Good shows though?
        Sent by DiGi from my BlackBerry desu

        From: Katherine Hanson <smithie_28@...>
        Sender: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 23:21:23 -0700 (PDT)
        To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com<Yuricon@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 25, 2012
          Mouretsu Pirates = Yes.
          Lagrange = Yes.
          Black Rock Shooter = Most of it, yes. Doesn't end that well. So...yes-ish.
          Symphogear = Some people think that it's good.

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 26, 2012
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Katherine Hanson <smithie_28@...> wrote:

            > Wasn't bad, but didn't impress me either. It entertained me for about 25 minutes a week for 8 weeks, but ultimately didn't leave much of an impression for better or worse.

            I felt the same - it took a sharp turn away from the plot as it had developed just towards the end there, and ceased to be about what it was about. Instead, a rather tedious moralistic viewpoint was substituted for the actual plot. The one twist was good, but it sidetracked the story and it ended...ineffectively...I guess is the word I'm looking for.

            So, not bad, but ultimately less creative and bold than it could or should have been. For an anime with a similar background set-up I thought Madoka was superior.

            I have to say I'm really getting tired of anime that uses the victimization of young people as a driver for the plot, without *ever* considering blaming the adults who victimize them in the first place. UGH. Much like "Harry Potter," "Matilda," or "James and Giant Peach," neglect and abuse are portrayed as y'know, the thing that makes the protagonist want to escape, but never as an actual crime.

          • Katherine Hanson
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 26, 2012
              Madoka was definitely better. Like BRS, it didn't waste any time telling its story- but it never lost its way, and ended with a bang.

              >I have to say I'm really getting tired of anime that uses the victimization of young people as a driver for the plot, without *ever* considering blaming the adults who victimize them in the first place. UGH. Much like "Harry Potter," "Matilda," or "James and Giant Peach," neglect and abuse are portrayed as y'know, the thing that makes the protagonist want to escape, but never as an actual crime.

              I hadn't thought about that, but that is a good point. I'm biased by the fact that I liked Matilda and Harry Potter growing up (at least the early HP books, before J.K. Rowling let her pacing become unnecessarily sluggish and bloated, and the later movies, which trimmed some of the books' fat), partly because of its protagonists being able to get away from their horrible guardians and show them up by being unique. While what you're pointing out is problematic, I think most kids who read those stories are getting the message that it's not bad to be smart/talented/unique and horrible circumstances can improve, rather than that child abuse isn't criminal. But I'm just speaking from my own reaction. Since Black Rock Shooter is aimed at adults, it does give Yuu's suffering a whiff of exploitation that isn't present (for me) in something like Harry Potter.