Public Service Announcement about Technical Issues - Please Read

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2012
      Hi all -

      Quick public service announcement. If you are having trouble with ViKi (or JManga or any other platform) please contact the *platform* directly - sending me emails about it is pointless. I'm not working for these companies, I only report the news, so I can't help you with payment or technical issues. You need to contact the company that runs the site. There's almost always a way to contact them on the site itself.

      Secondly, someone wrote me this morning *demanding* an explanation about a point of translation on ViKi. First of all, demanding is a terrible habit and makes no friends. If you have a question, ask politely. I'm only a human and don't really owe anyone anything. ^_^ I provide info because it makes me happy to do so.

      As far as nitpicking translations go, that's just icky behavior. Let's drop that, okay? Translation is hard, language is complex and we all disagree sometimes. It doesn't make us look cooler to show how much we know by nitpicking. ViKi's translations are crowdsourced, so there is likely to be mistakes from time to time. Write them and let them know, politely.

      What made this even more exhausting was that the translation was perfectly fine. In Episode 5 of Dear Brother, Fukiko-sama refers to a "Kanzen", that block with pins used in Ikebana, to hold flowers. It is translated as "frog." Well, yes, that is actually correct in English. It is very often referred to as a "frog." So the person demanding my explanation might be surprised to find that the problem is not in the translation, but in her lack of knowledge about Ikebana.

      My point is to not make fun of the comment, but to point out that *sometimes we don't really know what we're talking about*. ^_^ I include myself in that, of course! We are all human and we can't know everything about everything. So, five seconds of research on a search engine under the word "kanzen" would have turned up the fact that it *is* called a frog in English - and that would have explained that.

      So, hey, let's all stop being so darn angry all the time, so demanding, dissatisfied and suspicious all the time, so neurotic. Fandom has more anime and manga in more forms that ever before. Let's take a moment to be HAPPY, shall we? We can enjoy what we have, hope for more and all work together to make it even better.