Two amazing articles you really ought to read

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2012
      Hello all -

      I'm starting my week off with two articles that are must-reads:

      Roland Kelts pens his final "Soft Power, Hard Truths" Column for the Daily Yomiuri about women in the anime industry, with a profile of a independent anime creator Yamamoto Soubi: http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/features/arts/T120312003791.htm

      This article illustrates something I say all the time - do it yourself! Don't wait to be discovered. The barriers are lower than ever before, so if you want to create...get out there and create. ^_^

      And Dan Kanemitsu puts his fingers on a few key points about the anime and manga industries. If you want to know what's going on "in the industry" read this. Dan is probably the one guy who can communicate this best as he is involved in the industry at several levels.

      Key point for us is that the overseas market is not nearly as large or important as it thinks it is and therefore the anime/manga industry is still really about Japanese economics. Overseas market is loud - but only speaks to itself. Japan can't hear you on forums or Facebook. The only thing they see is sales numbers. For instance, when the Fate/Zero boxset was priced at $400 USD, fans here basically said, "forget that." In Japan, it sold 43,000 copies. The difference between US and Japanese fans? 17,200,000 yen, over $200,000 in sales ^_^;;

      This is not to say we have no voice, but our voice (sales) are a mere whisper.

      Anyway. Enjoy the articles - these two guys are tops on my must-follow list about anime and manga. They are both incredibly nice people and very interesting to talk to - you can find them both on Twitter, where they are totally approachable: @RolandKelts and @dankanemitsu