[Yuricon] OT I am confused

  • Nick Perez
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2012
      I saw this article on ANN:

      I am not really sure what Bandai will be doing, I know it says it in the article but I don't understand, someone plz explain!!!

    • miz
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2012
        To my understanding Bandai has announced that they're going to not translate anymore of their current properties that includes unfinished manga works from Feb 2012 onward. Not sure the deal with DVD properties.. but Bandai USA is going to be focusing on its interest for streaming this year. I hear on Twitter, that people currently working for Bandai is going to have to look for new jobs/clients.

        --
        -Linda

        Twitter @animemiz
        http://animemiz.com
        animemiz@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2012
          They will be licensing their Japanese content to other countries and not directly releasing their manga or anime.

          This news is about Bandai USA, which is the US subsidiary to the Japanese company Namco Bandai, which mostly makes it's money on merchandising for kids TV shows and games and a few key massive selling series in Japan.

          The US is a terrible market, since so many "fans" only download free manga and anime, and don't buy. So Lucky Star sells millions of copies in Japan and a few hundred in the US. It cost so much to print books/DVDs and distribute them that it's easier for companies in Japan to sell the rights to a series, rather than try to get it to the incredibly small market here directly.

          Bandai's been having trouble for years with the American market. A few years ago, they announced that they would price the Lucky Star DVDs at Japanese prices ($60/dvd , 2 episodes per disk) and were booed at Anime Expo.

          I hope that helps.

          To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          From: vanezzania@...
          Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 08:43:59 -0800
          Subject: [Yuricon] OT I am confused

          I saw this article on ANN:

          I am not really sure what Bandai will be doing, I know it says it in the article but I don't understand, someone plz explain!!!

        • Gary
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 13, 2012
            The article makes it sounds like they aren't picking up any more new anime or manga series to translate. It's ambiguous if they mean to finish off any series they are currently working on, or stop in mid story and just continue to sell what they've already done.

            Sounds like they just want to concentrate on selling licenses.