Re: [Yuricon] Re: What's the big deal about Sailor Moon?

  • Rei Shaw
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 5, 2011
      Also I know I've mentioned it before but to me the closest comparsion anything can have to Sailor Moon is Sakura Taisen.

      -The cast is killed off and revived
      -It features the three imperial treasures of Japan in the form of the Majinki (they were the talismans in Sailor Moon)
      -They have to fight through a group of four/five generals to get at the big bad in each "season". (usually half a video game).
      -There is tremendous Lesbian subtext
      -It features a team of women with archetyple personalities and elemental powers.
      -And there are scenes where the characters pool all their powers into the main guy.
      -And Tomizawa Michie voices the flame elemental/diva character

      It's Sailor Moon for guys. It's Sailor Moon where you play as Tuxedo Mask and get to choose who to romance.

      Oh and thanks to the manga there is actual canon Yuri in the franchise too... cause Tsubaki has fantasies about Maria... oh don't you just love Kagekidan theatre?
    • Grisznak

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 8, 2011
          Many people still like Sailor Moon. I am one person, my wife is another. All the many people who have bought and enjoyed the new manga are also interested.

          I was just looking at the website for a doujinshi circle called Studio Canopus. She has been drawing and writing Haruka and Michiru doujinshi since the show was on Japanese TV in the 1990s...and she is still drawing and writing about them.

          For many people, the series has some of the most charming characters ever created. I know I will forever consider Haruka and Michiru the Queens of Yuri. I'm not alone in this. Yuricon would not exist if Sailor Moon hadn't existed.

          It's fine if you left it behind, of course, but there are many people for whom it still holds an important place in our hearts. ^_^

          > I have to ask about one thing - who is interesting in SM or DB now? I mean,
          > these were shows for teens - and many of us (if not all) were watching them
          > when we were teens. So, if they're kinda popular now, it's because kids are
          > watching them? Or rather old fans like us are? This is key point here, I
          > think.
          > Sailor Moon is an oldschool now - it's rather obvious. Is it still a story
          > that can catch a hearts of today's kids?
          > cheers
          > Grisznak
          >
          > 2011/11/5 Rei Shaw <rei.shaw@...>
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Also I know I've mentioned it before but to me the closest comparsion
          > > anything can have to Sailor Moon is Sakura Taisen.
          > >
          > > -The cast is killed off and revived
          > > -It features the three imperial treasures of Japan in the form of the
          > > Majinki (they were the talismans in Sailor Moon)
          > > -They have to fight through a group of four/five generals to get at the
          > > big bad in each "season". (usually half a video game).
          > > -There is tremendous Lesbian subtext
          > > -It features a team of women with archetyple personalities and elemental
          > > powers.
          > > -And there are scenes where the characters pool all their powers into the
          > > main guy.
          > > -And Tomizawa Michie voices the flame elemental/diva character
          > >
          > > It's Sailor Moon for guys. It's Sailor Moon where you play as Tuxedo Mask
          > > and get to choose who to romance.
          > >
          > > Oh and thanks to the manga there is actual canon Yuri in the franchise
          > > too... cause Tsubaki has fantasies about Maria... oh don't you just love
          > > Kagekidan theatre?

        • Joy Bordador
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 8, 2011
            Delurking because I'd like to answer in the affirmative, that yes, kids today still love Sailormoon, and in fact consider it one of the benchmarks of yuri- and yuri-friendly anime. Japanese pop culture fandom is booming like never before in the Philippines, and as an "older sister" among local cosplayers (I began by cosplaying Sailor Uranus even after my Neptune flaked out, and much of my cosplaying has to do with Sailormoon, though I'm currently on an extended hiatus due to work) I meet a lot of cosplayers who are 21 years old and below who continue to surprise me with their extensive knowledge of the anime from season 1 onwards, which is odd because the anime hasn't even been in fan circulation (as far as I recall) ever since the last season aired on free TV in the year 2005, if my memory serves right (and that after a few years skipped in between all the seasons). They've all shared that they have become fans of yuri because of the series' portrayal of the lesbian relationship, and it has enabled me to introduce them to more old-school fare like BeruBara among others.

            And FYR, in the Philippines many of us were watching the show during its first airing back in the 1990s when we were kids, not even when we were teens. And, many of these new cosplayers I'm talking about were too young to have seen Sailormoon on local TV.

            Okay, back to lurking. Gotta work to pay the bills. X3

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 9, 2011
              Erica, I think you don't understand well what I tried to say. I'm still a Moonie (just two weeks ago I returned from manga convention with Ami plushie and AmixMako artwork), but I'm curious if kids today are interested in Sailor Moon. For us it's a memorable series, right, but I wonder if kids in the same age as we were 15 years ago would be interested in this series today.
              You said that first volume of the manga was bestseller in USA not so long ago - that's fantastic, but I'd like to know who buys it? Old moonies like us or teens?
               cheers
              Grisznak

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 9, 2011
                Well, as I say, Sailor Moon is hitting the top of the sales charts right now. And many of the young people I know are enjoying the manga for the first time.

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 9, 2011
                  Quick followup - a Japanese friend of mine, (in conversation, unprompted) just sent me this tweet: "Many Japanese teens still love Sailor moon so much."

                  So, yes, it's still relevant there, as well. ^_^

                • Grisznak
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 16, 2011
                    OK, I just have to say that Erica was right. Why? Just two days before polish TV channel TV4 announced that they'll airing Sailor Moon since 1st of Decemeber. Yes, ten years passed since Sailor Moon was aired for the last time here. And now we have here it back! We're fourth country in Europe (after Italy, Albania and Portugal) where Sailor Moon will return.
                    I just finished writing bir article about Sailor Moon for polish manga/anime magazine "Otaku" and I'm preparing a questions for an interview with TV4 representetive. Damn, I feel almost ten years younger now!
                    cheers
                    Grisznak

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 16, 2011
                      That's terrific news!

                      I really hope that someone in America will license it, so we get it again (without the weird dub...)

                      > OK, I just have to say that Erica was right. Why? Just two days before
                      > polish TV channel TV4 announced that they'll airing Sailor Moon since 1st
                      > of Decemeber. Yes, ten years passed since Sailor Moon was aired for the
                      > last time here. And now we have here it back! We're fourth country in
                      > Europe (after Italy, Albania and Portugal) where Sailor Moon will return.
                      > I just finished writing bir article about Sailor Moon for polish
                      > manga/anime magazine "Otaku" and I'm preparing a questions for an interview
                      > with TV4 representetive. Damn, I feel almost ten years younger now!
                      > cheers
                      > Grisznak
                      >
                      > 2011/11/10 EricaF <anilesbocon01@...>
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > Quick followup - a Japanese friend of mine, (in conversation, unprompted)
                      > > just sent me this tweet: "Many Japanese teens still love Sailor moon so
                      > > much."
                      > >
                      > > So, yes, it's still relevant there, as well. ^_^
                      > >
                      > > Cheers,
                      > >
                      > > Erica

                    • Resop
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 8, 2011
                        I was kind of surprised to see that there was about 15 seconds of Yuri in Kamen Rider Den-O.

                        In episode 40 due to some plot device involving changing the flow of time the older sister of the main character changes from being kind of spacey and Yamoto Nadeshiko like and suddenly becomes very out going and vivacious.  This causes the coffee shop that the two siblings run change from having an almost all male clientele to all female.  Also, in the story there are two bumbling male comic relief characters who try to catch the eye of the sister.  In the changed time version, there are two girls who are dressed up to look like the male comic relief characters, both of whom have the hots for the sister.