Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: What's the big deal about Sailor Moon?

Expand Messages
  • EricaF
    Sailor Moon has been in the top five on the manga best seller lists since it premiered and is #1 again this week. Dragonball was just re-released as an anime
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      Sailor Moon has been in the top five on the manga best seller lists since it premiered and is #1 again this week.

      Dragonball was just re-released as an anime and is also doing the same thing - captivating audiences all over again.

      Pokemon was a different formula. It was a not-terribly popular series in Japan initially, that, after export to western countries, moved back to Japan. It was always more popular as a game though. ^-^

      I think it already has had an impact...although not as huge, because the anime is not also relicensed and on TV.

      Cheers,

      Erica

      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Grisznak <grisznakiw@...> wrote:
      >
      > As a 90's moonie, I don't think so. SM was unique, now there are many
      > series in the same spirit, but more modern (like WITCH) and better
      > targeted. Same thing happened to the Dragon Ball. Pokemon was in better
      > situation, because the games of this serie are still in production.
      > cheers
      > Grisznak
      >
      > 2011/11/3 EricaF <anilesbocon01@...>
      >
      > > **
      > >
      > >
      > > Today I posted an article on Hooded Utilitarian about the impact Sailor
      > > Moon had on som many people in the mid-to-late 90s and why, although I'm
      > > not sure the impact can be repeated in full, I have no doubt it will be
      > > influential once again, now that the manga is being published in English
      > > once more.
      > >
      > > http://hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/11/bigdealaboutsailormoon/
      > >
      > > Enjoy!
      > >
      > > Link to Sailor Moon Volume 1 in English on Amazon: http://is.gd/MImzNk
      > >
      > >
      > >
      >
    • shenotski
      I just wish that both series were better(note i am talking about the anime the manga may be a lot better). DBZ draws things out to the point of madness (5
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 3, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        I just wish that both series were better(note i am talking about the anime the manga may be a lot better). DBZ draws things out to the point of madness (5 minutes till Namek blows up for several episodes) and Sailor moon had a formula for monster of the week that they repeated and for the most part never deviated from.

        There are several similarities to DBZand sailor moon, i remember several people calling sailor moon DBZ for girls and vice versa.

        There is a constant escalation in power in both works (Super Saiyan vs Eternal whatever form the sensei get that season)
        Signature attacks that get yelled out.

        Both series for dramatic effect would kill off thier casts then ressurect them.while this is more common in american comics i can't remember as many japanese ones that pulled off killing charecters off nearly as much as sailor moon or DBZ.

        Going back to escalation according to the plot Usagi will become queen of the galaxy and all the main characters were princesses of the planets they are sensei (only pluto isn't because of science) in DBZ The main characters surpass God and then the Gods of the universe.

        Note that i'm not saying they are the exact same just that there's similarities, a good number of them both on the micro (what's in the series) and meta (Merchandising, sales, episode counts, adaptations, adding letters to the later seasons names).

        > Sailor Moon has been in the top five on the manga best seller lists since it premiered and is #1 again this week.
        >
        > Dragonball was just re-released as an anime and is also doing the same thing - captivating audiences all over again.
        >
        > Pokemon was a different formula. It was a not-terribly popular series in Japan initially, that, after export to western countries, moved back to Japan. It was always more popular as a game though. ^-^
        >
        > I think it already has had an impact...although not as huge, because the anime is not also relicensed and on TV.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Erica
        >
        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Grisznak <grisznakiw@> wrote:
        > >
        > > As a 90's moonie, I don't think so. SM was unique, now there are many
        > > series in the same spirit, but more modern (like WITCH) and better
        > > targeted. Same thing happened to the Dragon Ball. Pokemon was in better
        > > situation, because the games of this serie are still in production.
        > > cheers
        > > Grisznak
        > >
        > > 2011/11/3 EricaF <anilesbocon01@>
        > >
        > > > **
        > > >
        > > >
        > > > Today I posted an article on Hooded Utilitarian about the impact Sailor
        > > > Moon had on som many people in the mid-to-late 90s and why, although I'm
        > > > not sure the impact can be repeated in full, I have no doubt it will be
        > > > influential once again, now that the manga is being published in English
        > > > once more.
        > > >
        > > > http://hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/11/bigdealaboutsailormoon/
        > > >
        > > > Enjoy!
        > > >
        > > > Link to Sailor Moon Volume 1 in English on Amazon: http://is.gd/MImzNk
        > > >
        > > >
        > > >
        > >
        >
      • EricaF
        ... Yes, this formula is still pretty popular for series targeted to boys and girls. Typically series targeted to younger readers are prized for forumlas that
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "shenotski" <isaacfrankfischer@...> wrote:
          >
          > I just wish that both series were better(note i am talking about the anime the manga may be a lot better). DBZ draws things out to the point of madness (5 minutes till Namek blows up for several episodes) and Sailor moon had a formula for monster of the week that they repeated and for the most part never deviated from.

          Yes, this formula is still pretty popular for series targeted to boys and girls.

          Typically series targeted to younger readers are prized for forumlas that increase longevity and marketable goods. ^_^

          Cheers,

          Erica
        • Ellen Kuhfeld
          I ve watched all the seasons of Sailor Moon. Got the unedited ADV versions of the first two years, an authorized Asian version of S, the Geneon version of
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            I've watched all the seasons of Sailor Moon. Got the unedited ADV versions of the first two years, an authorized Asian version of S, the Geneon version of Super S, and a decent fansub of the fifth year. Yes, a fansub -- I'm not about to learn Japanese at my current age and deafness, just to watch the fifth season that Toei won't release to us.

            The Monster of the Week, the lengthy transformation sequences, the opening and ending -- they're relatively harmless. Some of the individual episodes are almost pure story (my favorite is still Episode 31, Luna's Worst Day Ever). But the parts I enjoyed the most were the five or ten minutes with the individual characters. If you look at those, you see them growing over the years. Think of it as The Once And Future Queen, done as anime.

            I've met enough of the first season of Dragonball to think it had merit. Dragonball Z is just shouting, snarling, posturing, grimacing, threatening -- you get the idea. Sailor Moon works all the way to the end.

            Ellen


            On 11/4/2011 1:35 PM, EricaF wrote:
             



            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "shenotski" <isaacfrankfischer@...> wrote:
            >
            > I just wish that both series were better(note i am talking about the anime the manga may be a lot better). DBZ draws things out to the point of madness (5 minutes till Namek blows up for several episodes) and Sailor moon had a formula for monster of the week that they repeated and for the most part never deviated from.

            Yes, this formula is still pretty popular for series targeted to boys and girls.

            Typically series targeted to younger readers are prized for forumlas that increase longevity and marketable goods. ^_^

            Cheers,

            Erica

          • Erica Friedman
            ... were the five or ten minutes with the individual characters. If you look at those, you see them growing over the years. Think of it as The Once And Future
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
            • 0 Attachment
              >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              >From: ellen@...
              >Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 14:07:43 -0500
              > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: What's the big deal about Sailor Moon?



              >  But the parts I enjoyed the most
              were the five or ten minutes with the individual characters. If you look at those, you see them growing over the years. Think of it as The Once And Future Queen, > done as anime.

              That's a great summation. ^_^

              For me, the character development is what drives the story. When Usagi begins the series by introducing herself as 14, clumsy and a crybaby, it's worlds apart from the last episode when she says she's 16, clumsy and a crybaby. 

              Cheers, 

              Erica 

              Yuricon - "For real women who like their women...animated." http://www.yuricon.org Hungry for Yuri? 
            • Rei Shaw
              The same power-up dynamic is present in mecha shows, shows about wandering Samurai who don t kill people and just about any show where the protagonists have to
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 5, 2011
              • 0 Attachment
                The same power-up dynamic is present in mecha shows, shows about wandering Samurai who don't kill people and just about any show where the protagonists have to fight.

                I don't think DBZ is a good comparison at all except in terms of popularity at that time period. (and that they're both having a resurgance).

                There are some elements that are closer... you know 7 rainbow crystals, 7 dragon balls... but the collection gimmick is really common too.

                Also Sailor Moon is the story of a team... Dragon Ball Z is the story of one bad-ass dude who has some sidekicks.

                Sailor Moon is Cutie Honey meets Super Sentai... for girls.

                Also have you seen the Dragon Ball Kai cut? A much better watch for DBZ.

                On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 1:37 PM, shenotski <isaacfrankfischer@...> wrote:
                 

                I just wish that both series were better(note i am talking about the anime the manga may be a lot better). DBZ draws things out to the point of madness (5 minutes till Namek blows up for several episodes) and Sailor moon had a formula for monster of the week that they repeated and for the most part never deviated from.

                There are several similarities to DBZand sailor moon, i remember several people calling sailor moon DBZ for girls and vice versa.

                There is a constant escalation in power in both works (Super Saiyan vs Eternal whatever form the sensei get that season)
                Signature attacks that get yelled out.

                Both series for dramatic effect would kill off thier casts then ressurect them.while this is more common in american comics i can't remember as many japanese ones that pulled off killing charecters off nearly as much as sailor moon or DBZ.

                Going back to escalation according to the plot Usagi will become queen of the galaxy and all the main characters were princesses of the planets they are sensei (only pluto isn't because of science) in DBZ The main characters surpass God and then the Gods of the universe.

                Note that i'm not saying they are the exact same just that there's similarities, a good number of them both on the micro (what's in the series) and meta (Merchandising, sales, episode counts, adaptations, adding letters to the later seasons names).


                > Sailor Moon has been in the top five on the manga best seller lists since it premiered and is #1 again this week.
                >
                > Dragonball was just re-released as an anime and is also doing the same thing - captivating audiences all over again.
                >
                > Pokemon was a different formula. It was a not-terribly popular series in Japan initially, that, after export to western countries, moved back to Japan. It was always more popular as a game though. ^-^
                >
                > I think it already has had an impact...although not as huge, because the anime is not also relicensed and on TV.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Erica
                >
                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Grisznak <grisznakiw@> wrote:
                > >
                > > As a 90's moonie, I don't think so. SM was unique, now there are many
                > > series in the same spirit, but more modern (like WITCH) and better
                > > targeted. Same thing happened to the Dragon Ball. Pokemon was in better
                > > situation, because the games of this serie are still in production.
                > > cheers
                > > Grisznak
                > >
                > > 2011/11/3 EricaF <anilesbocon01@>
                > >
                > > > **
                > > >
                > > >
                > > > Today I posted an article on Hooded Utilitarian about the impact Sailor
                > > > Moon had on som many people in the mid-to-late 90s and why, although I'm
                > > > not sure the impact can be repeated in full, I have no doubt it will be
                > > > influential once again, now that the manga is being published in English
                > > > once more.
                > > >
                > > > http://hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/11/bigdealaboutsailormoon/
                > > >
                > > > Enjoy!
                > > >
                > > > Link to Sailor Moon Volume 1 in English on Amazon: http://is.gd/MImzNk
                > > >
                > > >
                > > >
                > >
                >


              • Rei Shaw
                Also I know I ve mentioned it before but to me the closest comparsion anything can have to Sailor Moon is Sakura Taisen. -The cast is killed off and revived
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 5, 2011
                • 0 Attachment
                  Also I know I've mentioned it before but to me the closest comparsion anything can have to Sailor Moon is Sakura Taisen.

                  -The cast is killed off and revived
                  -It features the three imperial treasures of Japan in the form of the Majinki (they were the talismans in Sailor Moon)
                  -They have to fight through a group of four/five generals to get at the big bad in each "season". (usually half a video game).
                  -There is tremendous Lesbian subtext
                  -It features a team of women with archetyple personalities and elemental powers.
                  -And there are scenes where the characters pool all their powers into the main guy.
                  -And Tomizawa Michie voices the flame elemental/diva character

                  It's Sailor Moon for guys. It's Sailor Moon where you play as Tuxedo Mask and get to choose who to romance.

                  Oh and thanks to the manga there is actual canon Yuri in the franchise too... cause Tsubaki has fantasies about Maria... oh don't you just love Kagekidan theatre?
                • Grisznak
                  I have to ask about one thing - who is interesting in SM or DB now? I mean, these were shows for teens - and many of us (if not all) were watching them when we
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 8, 2011
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I have to ask about one thing - who is interesting in SM or DB now? I mean, these were shows for teens - and many of us (if not all) were watching them when we were teens. So, if they're kinda popular now, it's because kids are watching them? Or rather old fans like us are? This is key point here, I think.
                    Sailor Moon is an oldschool now - it's rather obvious. Is it still a story that can catch a hearts of today's kids?
                    cheers
                    Grisznak

                    2011/11/5 Rei Shaw <rei.shaw@...>
                     

                    Also I know I've mentioned it before but to me the closest comparsion anything can have to Sailor Moon is Sakura Taisen.

                    -The cast is killed off and revived
                    -It features the three imperial treasures of Japan in the form of the Majinki (they were the talismans in Sailor Moon)
                    -They have to fight through a group of four/five generals to get at the big bad in each "season". (usually half a video game).
                    -There is tremendous Lesbian subtext
                    -It features a team of women with archetyple personalities and elemental powers.
                    -And there are scenes where the characters pool all their powers into the main guy.
                    -And Tomizawa Michie voices the flame elemental/diva character

                    It's Sailor Moon for guys. It's Sailor Moon where you play as Tuxedo Mask and get to choose who to romance.

                    Oh and thanks to the manga there is actual canon Yuri in the franchise too... cause Tsubaki has fantasies about Maria... oh don't you just love Kagekidan theatre?


                  • EricaF
                    Many people still like Sailor Moon. I am one person, my wife is another. All the many people who have bought and enjoyed the new manga are also interested. I
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 8, 2011
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Many people still like Sailor Moon. I am one person, my wife is another. All the many people who have bought and enjoyed the new manga are also interested.

                      I was just looking at the website for a doujinshi circle called Studio Canopus. She has been drawing and writing Haruka and Michiru doujinshi since the show was on Japanese TV in the 1990s...and she is still drawing and writing about them.

                      For many people, the series has some of the most charming characters ever created. I know I will forever consider Haruka and Michiru the Queens of Yuri. I'm not alone in this. Yuricon would not exist if Sailor Moon hadn't existed.

                      It's fine if you left it behind, of course, but there are many people for whom it still holds an important place in our hearts. ^_^

                      Cheers,

                      Erica



                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Grisznak <grisznakiw@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > I have to ask about one thing - who is interesting in SM or DB now? I mean,
                      > these were shows for teens - and many of us (if not all) were watching them
                      > when we were teens. So, if they're kinda popular now, it's because kids are
                      > watching them? Or rather old fans like us are? This is key point here, I
                      > think.
                      > Sailor Moon is an oldschool now - it's rather obvious. Is it still a story
                      > that can catch a hearts of today's kids?
                      > cheers
                      > Grisznak
                      >
                      > 2011/11/5 Rei Shaw <rei.shaw@...>
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >
                      > >
                      > > Also I know I've mentioned it before but to me the closest comparsion
                      > > anything can have to Sailor Moon is Sakura Taisen.
                      > >
                      > > -The cast is killed off and revived
                      > > -It features the three imperial treasures of Japan in the form of the
                      > > Majinki (they were the talismans in Sailor Moon)
                      > > -They have to fight through a group of four/five generals to get at the
                      > > big bad in each "season". (usually half a video game).
                      > > -There is tremendous Lesbian subtext
                      > > -It features a team of women with archetyple personalities and elemental
                      > > powers.
                      > > -And there are scenes where the characters pool all their powers into the
                      > > main guy.
                      > > -And Tomizawa Michie voices the flame elemental/diva character
                      > >
                      > > It's Sailor Moon for guys. It's Sailor Moon where you play as Tuxedo Mask
                      > > and get to choose who to romance.
                      > >
                      > > Oh and thanks to the manga there is actual canon Yuri in the franchise
                      > > too... cause Tsubaki has fantasies about Maria... oh don't you just love
                      > > Kagekidan theatre?
                      > >
                      > >
                      >
                    • Joy Bordador
                      Delurking because I d like to answer in the affirmative, that yes, kids today still love Sailormoon, and in fact consider it one of the benchmarks of yuri- and
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 8, 2011
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Delurking because I'd like to answer in the affirmative, that yes, kids today still love Sailormoon, and in fact consider it one of the benchmarks of yuri- and yuri-friendly anime. Japanese pop culture fandom is booming like never before in the Philippines, and as an "older sister" among local cosplayers (I began by cosplaying Sailor Uranus even after my Neptune flaked out, and much of my cosplaying has to do with Sailormoon, though I'm currently on an extended hiatus due to work) I meet a lot of cosplayers who are 21 years old and below who continue to surprise me with their extensive knowledge of the anime from season 1 onwards, which is odd because the anime hasn't even been in fan circulation (as far as I recall) ever since the last season aired on free TV in the year 2005, if my memory serves right (and that after a few years skipped in between all the seasons). They've all shared that they have become fans of yuri because of the series' portrayal of the lesbian relationship, and it has enabled me to introduce them to more old-school fare like BeruBara among others.  

                        And FYR, in the Philippines many of us were watching the show during its first airing back in the 1990s when we were kids, not even when we were teens. And, many of these new cosplayers I'm talking about were too young to have seen Sailormoon on local TV. 

                        Okay, back to lurking. Gotta work to pay the bills. X3

                         




                        From: Grisznak <grisznakiw@...>
                        To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                        Sent: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 6:00 PM
                        Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: What's the big deal about Sailor Moon?

                         
                        I have to ask about one thing - who is interesting in SM or DB now? I mean, these were shows for teens - and many of us (if not all) were watching them when we were teens. So, if they're kinda popular now, it's because kids are watching them? Or rather old fans like us are? This is key point here, I think.
                        Sailor Moon is an oldschool now - it's rather obvious. Is it still a story that can catch a hearts of today's kids?
                        cheers
                        Grisznak

                        2011/11/5 Rei Shaw <rei.shaw@...>
                         
                        Also I know I've mentioned it before but to me the closest comparsion anything can have to Sailor Moon is Sakura Taisen.

                        -The cast is killed off and revived
                        -It features the three imperial treasures of Japan in the form of the Majinki (they were the talismans in Sailor Moon)
                        -They have to fight through a group of four/five generals to get at the big bad in each "season". (usually half a video game).
                        -There is tremendous Lesbian subtext
                        -It features a team of women with archetyple personalities and elemental powers.
                        -And there are scenes where the characters pool all their powers into the main guy.
                        -And Tomizawa Michie voices the flame elemental/diva character

                        It's Sailor Moon for guys. It's Sailor Moon where you play as Tuxedo Mask and get to choose who to romance.

                        Oh and thanks to the manga there is actual canon Yuri in the franchise too... cause Tsubaki has fantasies about Maria... oh don't you just love Kagekidan theatre?



                      • Grisznak
                        Erica, I think you don t understand well what I tried to say. I m still a Moonie (just two weeks ago I returned from manga convention with Ami plushie and
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 9, 2011
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Erica, I think you don't understand well what I tried to say. I'm still a Moonie (just two weeks ago I returned from manga convention with Ami plushie and AmixMako artwork), but I'm curious if kids today are interested in Sailor Moon. For us it's a memorable series, right, but I wonder if kids in the same age as we were 15 years ago would be interested in this series today.
                          You said that first volume of the manga was bestseller in USA not so long ago - that's fantastic, but I'd like to know who buys it? Old moonies like us or teens?
                           cheers
                          Grisznak

                          2011/11/9 Joy Bordador <haruka173@...>
                           

                          Delurking because I'd like to answer in the affirmative, that yes, kids today still love Sailormoon, and in fact consider it one of the benchmarks of yuri- and yuri-friendly anime. Japanese pop culture fandom is booming like never before in the Philippines, and as an "older sister" among local cosplayers (I began by cosplaying Sailor Uranus even after my Neptune flaked out, and much of my cosplaying has to do with Sailormoon, though I'm currently on an extended hiatus due to work) I meet a lot of cosplayers who are 21 years old and below who continue to surprise me with their extensive knowledge of the anime from season 1 onwards, which is odd because the anime hasn't even been in fan circulation (as far as I recall) ever since the last season aired on free TV in the year 2005, if my memory serves right (and that after a few years skipped in between all the seasons). They've all shared that they have become fans of yuri because of the series' portrayal of the lesbian relationship, and it has enabled me to introduce them to more old-school fare like BeruBara among others.  

                          And FYR, in the Philippines many of us were watching the show during its first airing back in the 1990s when we were kids, not even when we were teens. And, many of these new cosplayers I'm talking about were too young to have seen Sailormoon on local TV. 

                          Okay, back to lurking. Gotta work to pay the bills. X3

                           




                          From: Grisznak <grisznakiw@...>
                          To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                          Sent: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 6:00 PM

                          Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: What's the big deal about Sailor Moon?

                           
                          I have to ask about one thing - who is interesting in SM or DB now? I mean, these were shows for teens - and many of us (if not all) were watching them when we were teens. So, if they're kinda popular now, it's because kids are watching them? Or rather old fans like us are? This is key point here, I think.
                          Sailor Moon is an oldschool now - it's rather obvious. Is it still a story that can catch a hearts of today's kids?
                          cheers
                          Grisznak

                          2011/11/5 Rei Shaw <rei.shaw@...>
                           
                          Also I know I've mentioned it before but to me the closest comparsion anything can have to Sailor Moon is Sakura Taisen.

                          -The cast is killed off and revived
                          -It features the three imperial treasures of Japan in the form of the Majinki (they were the talismans in Sailor Moon)
                          -They have to fight through a group of four/five generals to get at the big bad in each "season". (usually half a video game).
                          -There is tremendous Lesbian subtext
                          -It features a team of women with archetyple personalities and elemental powers.
                          -And there are scenes where the characters pool all their powers into the main guy.
                          -And Tomizawa Michie voices the flame elemental/diva character

                          It's Sailor Moon for guys. It's Sailor Moon where you play as Tuxedo Mask and get to choose who to romance.

                          Oh and thanks to the manga there is actual canon Yuri in the franchise too... cause Tsubaki has fantasies about Maria... oh don't you just love Kagekidan theatre?




                        • EricaF
                          Well, as I say, Sailor Moon is hitting the top of the sales charts right now. And many of the young people I know are enjoying the manga for the first time.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 9, 2011
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Well, as I say, Sailor Moon is hitting the top of the sales charts right now. And many of the young people I know are enjoying the manga for the first time.

                            Cheers,

                            Erica

                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Grisznak <grisznakiw@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Erica, I think you don't understand well what I tried to say. I'm still a
                            > Moonie (just two weeks ago I returned from manga convention with Ami
                            > plushie and AmixMako artwork), but I'm curious if kids today are interested
                            > in Sailor Moon. For us it's a memorable series, right, but I wonder if kids
                            > in the same age as we were 15 years ago would be interested in this series
                            > today.
                            > You said that first volume of the manga was bestseller in USA not so long
                            > ago - that's fantastic, but I'd like to know who buys it? Old moonies like
                            > us or teens?
                            > cheers
                            > Grisznak
                            >
                            > 2011/11/9 Joy Bordador <haruka173@...>
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >
                            > >
                            > > Delurking because I'd like to answer in the affirmative, that yes, kids
                            > > today still love Sailormoon, and in fact consider it one of the benchmarks
                            > > of yuri- and yuri-friendly anime. Japanese pop culture fandom is booming
                            > > like never before in the Philippines, and as an "older sister" among local
                            > > cosplayers (I began by cosplaying Sailor Uranus even after my Neptune
                            > > flaked out, and much of my cosplaying has to do with Sailormoon, though I'm
                            > > currently on an extended hiatus due to work) I meet a lot of cosplayers who
                            > > are 21 years old and below who continue to surprise me with their extensive
                            > > knowledge of the anime from season 1 onwards, which is odd because the
                            > > anime hasn't even been in fan circulation (as far as I recall) ever since
                            > > the last season aired on free TV in the year 2005, if my memory serves
                            > > right (and that after a few years skipped in between all the seasons).
                            > > They've all shared that they have become fans of yuri because of the
                            > > series' portrayal of the lesbian relationship, and it has enabled me to
                            > > introduce them to more old-school fare like BeruBara among others.
                            > >
                            > > And FYR, in the Philippines many of us were watching the show during its
                            > > first airing back in the 1990s when we were kids, not even when we were
                            > > teens. And, many of these new cosplayers I'm talking about were too young
                            > > to have seen Sailormoon on local TV.
                            > >
                            > > Okay, back to lurking. Gotta work to pay the bills. X3
                            > >
                            > >
                            > >
                            > >
                            > >
                            > > ------------------------------
                            > > *From:* Grisznak <grisznakiw@...>
                            > > *To:* Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                            > > *Sent:* Tuesday, November 8, 2011 6:00 PM
                            > >
                            > > *Subject:* Re: [Yuricon] Re: What's the big deal about Sailor Moon?
                            > >
                            > >
                            > > I have to ask about one thing - who is interesting in SM or DB now? I
                            > > mean, these were shows for teens - and many of us (if not all) were
                            > > watching them when we were teens. So, if they're kinda popular now, it's
                            > > because kids are watching them? Or rather old fans like us are? This is key
                            > > point here, I think.
                            > > Sailor Moon is an oldschool now - it's rather obvious. Is it still a story
                            > > that can catch a hearts of today's kids?
                            > > cheers
                            > > Grisznak
                            > >
                            > > 2011/11/5 Rei Shaw <rei.shaw@...>
                            > >
                            > > **
                            > >
                            > > Also I know I've mentioned it before but to me the closest comparsion
                            > > anything can have to Sailor Moon is Sakura Taisen.
                            > >
                            > > -The cast is killed off and revived
                            > > -It features the three imperial treasures of Japan in the form of the
                            > > Majinki (they were the talismans in Sailor Moon)
                            > > -They have to fight through a group of four/five generals to get at the
                            > > big bad in each "season". (usually half a video game).
                            > > -There is tremendous Lesbian subtext
                            > > -It features a team of women with archetyple personalities and elemental
                            > > powers.
                            > > -And there are scenes where the characters pool all their powers into the
                            > > main guy.
                            > > -And Tomizawa Michie voices the flame elemental/diva character
                            > >
                            > > It's Sailor Moon for guys. It's Sailor Moon where you play as Tuxedo Mask
                            > > and get to choose who to romance.
                            > >
                            > > Oh and thanks to the manga there is actual canon Yuri in the franchise
                            > > too... cause Tsubaki has fantasies about Maria... oh don't you just love
                            > > Kagekidan theatre?
                            > >
                            > >
                            > >
                            > >
                            > >
                            > >
                            >
                          • EricaF
                            Quick followup - a Japanese friend of mine, (in conversation, unprompted) just sent me this tweet: Many Japanese teens still love Sailor moon so much. So,
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 9, 2011
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Quick followup - a Japanese friend of mine, (in conversation, unprompted) just sent me this tweet: "Many Japanese teens still love Sailor moon so much."

                              So, yes, it's still relevant there, as well. ^_^

                              Cheers,

                              Erica
                            • Grisznak
                              OK, I just have to say that Erica was right. Why? Just two days before polish TV channel TV4 announced that they ll airing Sailor Moon since 1st of Decemeber.
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 16, 2011
                              • 0 Attachment
                                OK, I just have to say that Erica was right. Why? Just two days before polish TV channel TV4 announced that they'll airing Sailor Moon since 1st of Decemeber. Yes, ten years passed since Sailor Moon was aired for the last time here. And now we have here it back! We're fourth country in Europe (after Italy, Albania and Portugal) where Sailor Moon will return.
                                I just finished writing bir article about Sailor Moon for polish manga/anime magazine "Otaku" and I'm preparing a questions for an interview with TV4 representetive. Damn, I feel almost ten years younger now!
                                cheers
                                Grisznak

                                2011/11/10 EricaF <anilesbocon01@...>
                                 

                                Quick followup - a Japanese friend of mine, (in conversation, unprompted) just sent me this tweet: "Many Japanese teens still love Sailor moon so much."

                                So, yes, it's still relevant there, as well. ^_^

                                Cheers,

                                Erica


                              • EricaF
                                That s terrific news! I really hope that someone in America will license it, so we get it again (without the weird dub...) Cheers, Erica
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 16, 2011
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  That's terrific news!

                                  I really hope that someone in America will license it, so we get it again (without the weird dub...)

                                  Cheers,

                                  Erica

                                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Grisznak <grisznakiw@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > OK, I just have to say that Erica was right. Why? Just two days before
                                  > polish TV channel TV4 announced that they'll airing Sailor Moon since 1st
                                  > of Decemeber. Yes, ten years passed since Sailor Moon was aired for the
                                  > last time here. And now we have here it back! We're fourth country in
                                  > Europe (after Italy, Albania and Portugal) where Sailor Moon will return.
                                  > I just finished writing bir article about Sailor Moon for polish
                                  > manga/anime magazine "Otaku" and I'm preparing a questions for an interview
                                  > with TV4 representetive. Damn, I feel almost ten years younger now!
                                  > cheers
                                  > Grisznak
                                  >
                                  > 2011/11/10 EricaF <anilesbocon01@...>
                                  >
                                  > > **
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  > > Quick followup - a Japanese friend of mine, (in conversation, unprompted)
                                  > > just sent me this tweet: "Many Japanese teens still love Sailor moon so
                                  > > much."
                                  > >
                                  > > So, yes, it's still relevant there, as well. ^_^
                                  > >
                                  > > Cheers,
                                  > >
                                  > > Erica
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  >
                                • Resop
                                  I was kind of surprised to see that there was about 15 seconds of Yuri in Kamen Rider Den-O. In episode 40 due to some plot device involving changing the flow
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 8, 2011
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    I was kind of surprised to see that there was about 15 seconds of Yuri in Kamen Rider Den-O.

                                    In episode 40 due to some plot device involving changing the flow of time the older sister of the main character changes from being kind of spacey and Yamoto Nadeshiko like and suddenly becomes very out going and vivacious.  This causes the coffee shop that the two siblings run change from having an almost all male clientele to all female.  Also, in the story there are two bumbling male comic relief characters who try to catch the eye of the sister.  In the changed time version, there are two girls who are dressed up to look like the male comic relief characters, both of whom have the hots for the sister.
                                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.