Re: [Yuricon] Re: Can anyone give recommendations?

  • Adam Jones
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2011
      On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 08:45:58 -0000, "ccfanboy" <ccfanboy@...>
      wrote:

      > BTW your in the UK right? I highly doubt there is any but do you know
      > any Yuri like that on DVD over here? I could always improve my anime
      > collection too.

      In the UK your best bet is to have a region-free DVD player (pretty
      much any player out there can be unlocked nowadays - google will help
      you check). That way you can just get imported US DVDs instead of
      having to worry about the tiny subset of things which actually make it
      here. (I tend to use www.up1.co.uk as my dealer^H^H^H^H^Hsource, as
      they're friendly and helpful human beings who'll happily set up
      standing orders for you.)

      Definitely get hold of Simoun, because it's beautiful and powerful and
      outstandingly well-written. You may well enjoy Noir (or heck, any of
      Bee Train's girls-with-guns trilogy - Madlax and El Cazador de la
      Bruja being the other two) and possibly Stellvia (although the official
      DVD translation is... well, not great, to put it mildly, it does have
      one of the most adorable coming-out scenes in anime).
      .oO("(DUNDUNDUN!!!)" )
    • Rei Shaw
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2011
        Battle Athletes Victory
        Sailor Moon S and Sailor Moon Stars (for Michiru and Haruka, though of course it's really easy to read subtext into the whole thing)
        and Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl are series I think you might like.

        In the case of Kashimashi there's some transgender overtones the main girl is a boy for the first episode but is turned into a girl... though it's really implied "he" was trans all along.

        On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Grisznak <grisznakiw@...> wrote:

        Kannazuki no Miko will be perfect for you, I'm sure of that. Check for
        Simoun as well.
        cheers
        Grisznak

        2011/10/30, Adam Jones <adam@...>:

        > On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 06:40:16 -0000, "ccfanboy" <ccfanboy@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        >> I am looking for something with any (or a mix of) of the following
        >> themes: Science Fiction, Fighting, Fantasy. I am fine with good
        >> romantic stories and fan service (groping) sorry if that gives the
        >> wrong impression :( I am hoping to find stuff with bishoujo girls in
        >> it. Authors can be male or female.
        >
        > Hmm. It's quite tricky to think of yuri series which are actually
        > legally available in English *and* still in print...
        >
        > Whilst yuri is hardly its primary focus, you might (assuming you're old
        > enough to read it) quite enjoy Gunsmith Cats. It could hardly be
        > accused of skimping on the fanservice front (in several different
        > directions - if guns or cars are your thing, it's the series for you)
        > but also has a number of strong female characters, a non-trivial subset
        > of whom happen to be gay.
        >
        > On a totally different front, one could just about call Aria (and its
        > prequel, Aqua) science fiction, and many of us here like to think
        > there's yuri in there if we squint a bit. It's probably out of print
        > now, sadly, but it's a really beautiful series, so I'd recommend
        > reading it on principle in any case. :)
        >
        > (It's at this point that I wish, yet again, that Yokohama Kaidashi
        > Kikou was available in English.)
        >
        > Stretching even further, if you're fine with goofball romantic comedy,
        > you might enjoy Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl (the plot of which could be
        > summarised as: boy meets girl; boy loses girl; boy has alien spaceship
        > fall on head(!); boy is brought back as a girl; girl gets girl(s). No,
        > it makes no more sense in context, but its heart is in the right place.)
        > --
        > Adam Jones (adam@...)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
        > .oO("Your right, I went out of my way to forget those." )

      • chibirachy
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2011
          Since people also started listing shows...

          I'll second Simoun. That's my all time favorite of anything.
          I'll also second the BeeTrain series of Noir, Madlax, and El Cazador (to me, they got better with each show)
          I'll throw in Murder Princess. It does have a 2 volume manga, though out of print, but still cheap to find. Heavy subtext at parts, though I think it's more pronounced in the anime)
          Kiddy Grade is another subtext one, and Canaan is supposed to be great. I've got this, but haven't seen it. It is, however, pricy for a short series.
          I'm probably one of few, but I really hated Kashimashi, and could not watch more than 6 eps before quitting.

          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "ccfanboy" <ccfanboy@...> wrote:

          > Hi. I'm an Autistic male who just got into Yuri. I asked Erica for help so she recommended here. I am looking to vary my manga collection with some Yuri suited to my tastes. I've looked around but its hard to find stuff published in English. There are only 2 I have found so far. Strawberry Panic and Venus Versus Virus. I am aware of Blue Drop but it isn't published in English.
          >
          > I am looking for something with any (or a mix of) of the following themes: Science Fiction, Fighting, Fantasy. I am fine with good romantic stories and fan service (groping) sorry if that gives the wrong impression :( I am hoping to find stuff with bishoujo girls in it. Authors can be male or female.
          >
          > Are any of you who are fine with giving recommendations and can you help me? I really appreciate it ;)

        • Rei Shaw
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2011
            oops sorry, I missed that he was spefifically asking for manga.

            On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:11 PM, chibirachy <digiexpert@...> wrote:

            Since people also started listing shows...

            I'll second Simoun. That's my all time favorite of anything.
            I'll also second the BeeTrain series of Noir, Madlax, and El Cazador (to me, they got better with each show)
            I'll throw in Murder Princess. It does have a 2 volume manga, though out of print, but still cheap to find. Heavy subtext at parts, though I think it's more pronounced in the anime)
            Kiddy Grade is another subtext one, and Canaan is supposed to be great. I've got this, but haven't seen it. It is, however, pricy for a short series.
            I'm probably one of few, but I really hated Kashimashi, and could not watch more than 6 eps before quitting.

            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "ccfanboy" <ccfanboy@...> wrote:

            > Hi. I'm an Autistic male who just got into Yuri. I asked Erica for help so she recommended here. I am looking to vary my manga collection with some Yuri suited to my tastes. I've looked around but its hard to find stuff published in English. There are only 2 I have found so far. Strawberry Panic and Venus Versus Virus. I am aware of Blue Drop but it isn't published in English.
            >
            > I am looking for something with any (or a mix of) of the following themes: Science Fiction, Fighting, Fantasy. I am fine with good romantic stories and fan service (groping) sorry if that gives the wrong impression :( I am hoping to find stuff with bishoujo girls in it. Authors can be male or female.
            >
            > Are any of you who are fine with giving recommendations and can you help me? I really appreciate it ;)

          • ccfanboy
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
              Thanks for the help everyone. I'll probably find something I really like in all these. I'll get around to them as I find the time.

              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "chibirachy" <digiexpert@...> wrote:

              > Since people also started listing shows...
              >
              > I'll second Simoun. That's my all time favorite of anything.
              > I'll also second the BeeTrain series of Noir, Madlax, and El Cazador (to me, they got better with each show)
              > I'll throw in Murder Princess. It does have a 2 volume manga, though out of print, but still cheap to find. Heavy subtext at parts, though I think it's more pronounced in the anime)
              > Kiddy Grade is another subtext one, and Canaan is supposed to be great. I've got this, but haven't seen it. It is, however, pricy for a short series.
              > I'm probably one of few, but I really hated Kashimashi, and could not watch more than 6 eps before quitting.

            • Joy Bordador
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 6, 2011
                I will definitely second Noir. Haven't had time to watch Madlax or El Cazador unfortunately, but as tomorrow's a holiday I may just might.

                Kiddy Grade is yuri light for me.

                I'm not sure why but I never really got into Simoun for some reason or other...