Can anyone give recommendations?

  • ccfanboy
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 27, 2011
      Hi. I'm an Autistic male who just got into Yuri. I asked Erica for help so she recommended here. I am looking to vary my manga collection with some Yuri suited to my tastes. I've looked around but its hard to find stuff published in English. There are only 2 I have found so far. Strawberry Panic and Venus Versus Virus. I am aware of Blue Drop but it isn't published in English.

      I am looking for something with any (or a mix of) of the following themes: Science Fiction, Fighting, Fantasy. I am fine with good romantic stories and fan service (groping) sorry if that gives the wrong impression :( I am hoping to find stuff with bishoujo girls in it. Authors can be male or female.

      Are any of you who are fine with giving recommendations and can you help me? I really appreciate it ;)
    • Adam Jones
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
        On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 06:40:16 -0000, "ccfanboy" <ccfanboy@...>
        wrote:

        > I am looking for something with any (or a mix of) of the following
        > themes: Science Fiction, Fighting, Fantasy. I am fine with good
        > romantic stories and fan service (groping) sorry if that gives the
        > wrong impression :( I am hoping to find stuff with bishoujo girls in
        > it. Authors can be male or female.

        Hmm. It's quite tricky to think of yuri series which are actually
        legally available in English *and* still in print...

        Whilst yuri is hardly its primary focus, you might (assuming you're old
        enough to read it) quite enjoy Gunsmith Cats. It could hardly be
        accused of skimping on the fanservice front (in several different
        directions - if guns or cars are your thing, it's the series for you)
        but also has a number of strong female characters, a non-trivial subset
        of whom happen to be gay.

        On a totally different front, one could just about call Aria (and its
        prequel, Aqua) science fiction, and many of us here like to think
        there's yuri in there if we squint a bit. It's probably out of print
        now, sadly, but it's a really beautiful series, so I'd recommend
        reading it on principle in any case. :)

        (It's at this point that I wish, yet again, that Yokohama Kaidashi
        Kikou was available in English.)

        Stretching even further, if you're fine with goofball romantic comedy,
        you might enjoy Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl (the plot of which could be
        summarised as: boy meets girl; boy loses girl; boy has alien spaceship
        fall on head(!); boy is brought back as a girl; girl gets girl(s). No,
        it makes no more sense in context, but its heart is in the right place.)
        .oO("Your right, I went out of my way to forget those." )
      • ccfanboy
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2011

          > Hmm. It's quite tricky to think of yuri series which are actually
          > legally available in English
          > you might enjoy Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl (the plot of which could be
          > summarised as: boy meets girl; boy loses girl; boy has alien spaceship
          > fall on head(!); boy is brought back as a girl; girl gets girl(s). No,
          > it makes no more sense in context, but its heart is in the right place.)
          > --
          > Adam Jones (adam@...)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
          > .oO("Your right, I went out of my way to forget those." )

          lol Kashimashi sounds confusing. I'm learning something from you. I thought I was just struggling because I was new to it. I didn't know it was rarely published. Needs more published :)

          BTW your in the UK right? I highly doubt there is any but do you know any Yuri like that on DVD over here? I could always improve my anime collection too.

          Thanks for the help anyway :D Anyone else who has suggestions I'd like to see more.
        • Grisznak
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2011
            Kannazuki no Miko will be perfect for you, I'm sure of that. Check for
            Simoun as well.
            cheers
            Grisznak

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2011
              On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 08:45:58 -0000, "ccfanboy" <ccfanboy@...>
              wrote:

              > BTW your in the UK right? I highly doubt there is any but do you know
              > any Yuri like that on DVD over here? I could always improve my anime
              > collection too.

              In the UK your best bet is to have a region-free DVD player (pretty
              much any player out there can be unlocked nowadays - google will help
              you check). That way you can just get imported US DVDs instead of
              having to worry about the tiny subset of things which actually make it
              here. (I tend to use www.up1.co.uk as my dealer^H^H^H^H^Hsource, as
              they're friendly and helpful human beings who'll happily set up
              standing orders for you.)

              Definitely get hold of Simoun, because it's beautiful and powerful and
              outstandingly well-written. You may well enjoy Noir (or heck, any of
              Bee Train's girls-with-guns trilogy - Madlax and El Cazador de la
              Bruja being the other two) and possibly Stellvia (although the official
              DVD translation is... well, not great, to put it mildly, it does have
              one of the most adorable coming-out scenes in anime).
              .oO("(DUNDUNDUN!!!)" )
            • Rei Shaw
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2011
                Battle Athletes Victory
                Sailor Moon S and Sailor Moon Stars (for Michiru and Haruka, though of course it's really easy to read subtext into the whole thing)
                and Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl are series I think you might like.

                In the case of Kashimashi there's some transgender overtones the main girl is a boy for the first episode but is turned into a girl... though it's really implied "he" was trans all along.

                2011/10/30, Adam Jones <adam@...>:

                > On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 06:40:16 -0000, "ccfanboy" <ccfanboy@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >> I am looking for something with any (or a mix of) of the following
                >> themes: Science Fiction, Fighting, Fantasy. I am fine with good
                >> romantic stories and fan service (groping) sorry if that gives the
                >> wrong impression :( I am hoping to find stuff with bishoujo girls in
                >> it. Authors can be male or female.
                >
                > Hmm. It's quite tricky to think of yuri series which are actually
                > legally available in English *and* still in print...
                >
                > Whilst yuri is hardly its primary focus, you might (assuming you're old
                > enough to read it) quite enjoy Gunsmith Cats. It could hardly be
                > accused of skimping on the fanservice front (in several different
                > directions - if guns or cars are your thing, it's the series for you)
                > but also has a number of strong female characters, a non-trivial subset
                > of whom happen to be gay.
                >
                > On a totally different front, one could just about call Aria (and its
                > prequel, Aqua) science fiction, and many of us here like to think
                > there's yuri in there if we squint a bit. It's probably out of print
                > now, sadly, but it's a really beautiful series, so I'd recommend
                > reading it on principle in any case. :)
                >
                > (It's at this point that I wish, yet again, that Yokohama Kaidashi
                > Kikou was available in English.)
                >
                > Stretching even further, if you're fine with goofball romantic comedy,
                > you might enjoy Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl (the plot of which could be
                > summarised as: boy meets girl; boy loses girl; boy has alien spaceship
                > fall on head(!); boy is brought back as a girl; girl gets girl(s). No,
                > it makes no more sense in context, but its heart is in the right place.)
                > --
                > Adam Jones (adam@...)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
                > .oO("Your right, I went out of my way to forget those." )

              • chibirachy
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2011
                  Since people also started listing shows...

                  I'll second Simoun. That's my all time favorite of anything.
                  I'll also second the BeeTrain series of Noir, Madlax, and El Cazador (to me, they got better with each show)
                  I'll throw in Murder Princess. It does have a 2 volume manga, though out of print, but still cheap to find. Heavy subtext at parts, though I think it's more pronounced in the anime)
                  Kiddy Grade is another subtext one, and Canaan is supposed to be great. I've got this, but haven't seen it. It is, however, pricy for a short series.
                  I'm probably one of few, but I really hated Kashimashi, and could not watch more than 6 eps before quitting.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2011
                    oops sorry, I missed that he was spefifically asking for manga.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
                      Thanks for the help everyone. I'll probably find something I really like in all these. I'll get around to them as I find the time.

                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "chibirachy" <digiexpert@...> wrote:

                      > Since people also started listing shows...
                      >
                      > I'll second Simoun. That's my all time favorite of anything.
                      > I'll also second the BeeTrain series of Noir, Madlax, and El Cazador (to me, they got better with each show)
                      > I'll throw in Murder Princess. It does have a 2 volume manga, though out of print, but still cheap to find. Heavy subtext at parts, though I think it's more pronounced in the anime)
                      > Kiddy Grade is another subtext one, and Canaan is supposed to be great. I've got this, but haven't seen it. It is, however, pricy for a short series.
                      > I'm probably one of few, but I really hated Kashimashi, and could not watch more than 6 eps before quitting.

                    • Joy Bordador
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 6, 2011
                        I will definitely second Noir. Haven't had time to watch Madlax or El Cazador unfortunately, but as tomorrow's a holiday I may just might.

                        Kiddy Grade is yuri light for me.

                        I'm not sure why but I never really got into Simoun for some reason or other...