Re: don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 13, 2011
      -- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Adam Jones <adam@...> wrote:

      > On 13-Sep-2011 09:59 -0000, EricaF wrote:
      > > The plot description sounds kind of creepy to me. Was the story creepy or was it just a poorly worded description?
      >
      > Modulo an entirely avoidable student/teacher romance arc, no, it wasn't
      > creepy. Mostly it was pretty cute (in an endearing rather than cloying
      > sense).
      >
      > It did somewhat suffer from the common (and probably inevitable) VN
      > problem of not being able to avoid doing stupid things at certain points
      > of the story even if you as the player know better, but that's pretty
      > much inherent to the medium.
      > --
      > Adam Jones (adam@...)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)

      I expect VNs to be stupid. (Have I ever mentioned my attempt to play Katahana, and how, after 20 minutes of pushing the forward arrow, slamming through page after page waiting for a character to wake up, I gave up in utter disgust?)

      The idea that the teacher was "watching", I think the description said, was skeevy sounding.

      If this has relevant Yuri, I'd love for someone to do a guest review - Mara, since you brought it up here?

    • mara_papimer
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 13, 2011
        Sorry to sound pompous but Katahana is just a boring VN. What makes a good VN is the same set of things that makes a good regular novel. Everything else (pictures, sound, music) is just dressing to enhance the writing. Without a good piece of writing underneath all of that you are just being forced to endure a bad book while some psychopath plays a mix CD at you.

        On the subject of a guest review I believe I did send in a possible guest review of this. However I employ Erica not to use the final draft I sent in as it is clumsy and dull upon my later re-reading.

        If that entry managed to pass Erica buy without notice then if I could please request permission to send in a guest review of 'don't take it personally' that does not suck?

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 13, 2011
          No worries about sounding pompous, I don't disagree with you - although I have yet to encounter a VN I consider anything other than a boring story, though. They are, IMHO, a mix of the worst qualities of games and books - with the result that 10 pages of poorly contrived fiction takes 45 minutes to drag through. I know many people like them, but nothing I've seen approach anything like the depth of a well-written story. Too many panels of exposition and blinking.

          I haven't received an email on this game from you, so perhaps it just disappeared. ^_^ Feel free to resend your review anytime!

          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mara_papimer" <in_the_name_of_union7@...> wrote:

          > Sorry to sound pompous but Katahana is just a boring VN. What makes a good VN is the same set of things that makes a good regular novel. Everything else (pictures, sound, music) is just dressing to enhance the writing. Without a good piece of writing underneath all of that you are just being forced to endure a bad book while some psychopath plays a mix CD at you.
          >
          > On the subject of a guest review I believe I did send in a possible guest review of this. However I employ Erica not to use the final draft I sent in as it is clumsy and dull upon my later re-reading.
          >
          > If that entry managed to pass Erica buy without notice then if I could please request permission to send in a guest review of 'don't take it personally' that does not suck?

        • shenotski
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 13, 2011
            If your going to play a VN id suggest Snatcher especially if you can play the Sega CD version. It's an actual Detective Story that doesn't have dead ends, you aren't just pushing forwards a bunch of times to wait for some arbitrary decision point that'll screw you over.

            It's also written by Hideo Kojima of Metal Gear Fame. It has a few shooting sequences even.

            No Yuri in it but it's genuinely a fun game.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WchBwgEEZ9s

            > No worries about sounding pompous, I don't disagree with you - although I have yet to encounter a VN I consider anything other than a boring story, though. They are, IMHO, a mix of the worst qualities of games and books - with the result that 10 pages of poorly contrived fiction takes 45 minutes to drag through. I know many people like them, but nothing I've seen approach anything like the depth of a well-written story. Too many panels of exposition and blinking.
            >
            > I haven't received an email on this game from you, so perhaps it just disappeared. ^_^ Feel free to resend your review anytime!

            > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mara_papimer" <in_the_name_of_union7@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Sorry to sound pompous but Katahana is just a boring VN. What makes a good VN is the same set of things that makes a good regular novel. Everything else (pictures, sound, music) is just dressing to enhance the writing. Without a good piece of writing underneath all of that you are just being forced to endure a bad book while some psychopath plays a mix CD at you.
            > >
            > > On the subject of a guest review I believe I did send in a possible guest review of this. However I employ Erica not to use the final draft I sent in as it is clumsy and dull upon my later re-reading.
            > >
            > > If that entry managed to pass Erica buy without notice then if I could please request permission to send in a guest review of 'don't take it personally' that does not suck?

          • Andi, Andi Spring, Spring
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 14, 2011
              I was at the Small Press Expo this past weekend (got myself an awesome copy of Wandering Son-- wonderful translation). Anyway, I asked the people there if they had considered licensing Aoi Hana and they said that it was possible in the future.

              Nothing definite, but it's still nice to know it's possible.
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 14, 2011
                Fantagraphics has been very receptive to the idea, when I've broached it as well. I think the continued sales of Wandering Son will be key to the decision.

                Thanks for asking them - that's a relatively encouraging answer!

                Fantagraphics is on Twitter - feel free to tell them how much you'd like to see Aoi Hana. ^_^ https://twitter.com/#!/fantagraphics

                To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                From: endlessdreamer13@...
                Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 07:04:52 -0700