Re: [Yuricon] Sentai Filmworks announce the license for Project ICE

  • Delicious Vodka DeBlair
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 15, 2011
      I agree, it made no sense at all, was pretty dull and had a sucky sad ending.

      I'm not too sure you could have made sense of it with a 52 episode season of it.

      That said, I did wonder if somebody could have taken the protagonists of the show and written something meaningful with them... Too late now if one remains true to the plot though, since I think they destroyed the world, did they not...?

      --- On Mon, 8/15/11, EricaF <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
      This news made me giggle. Sentai Filmworks has announced the license for Project ICE, an OVA from 2007 that can only be described as "low-budget."

      I remember three things about ICE. It was hilariously dull, the plot made no sense and the VAs were all relatively untalented. Oh, and the clothes were right from the Rose of Versailles consignment sale. Here's my review from 2007: http://okazu.blogspot.com/2007/11/yuri-anime-project-ice-oav.html Read through the comments where people "explain" to me what I "obviously" missed. ^_^

      I can't, erm, can, wait to sit through this OVA again. ^_^

    • mara_papimer
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 16, 2011
        Ah, something terrible I will feel obligated to buy regardless.

        This gets released and yet I don't see publishers reaching for something entertaining like Alice Quartet or double zeta.

        Will not something with as bad a reputation ace ICE lose money overall?

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 16, 2011
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mara_papimer" <in_the_name_of_union7@...> wrote:

          > Ah, something terrible I will feel obligated to buy regardless.

          I feel your pain. ^_^

          > This gets released and yet I don't see publishers reaching for something entertaining like Alice Quartet or double zeta.

          I entertain a fantasy in which Sentai and Section 23 are trawling the lower scores of Okazu and choosing their licenses based on those. ^_^

          > Will not something with as bad a reputation ace ICE lose money overall?

          That's a really good question. I'd like to know how it does, too!

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 16, 2011
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Delicious Vodka DeBlair <vossua@...> wrote:

            > I agree, it made no sense at all, was pretty dull and had a sucky sad ending.
            >

            > That said, I did wonder if somebody could have taken the protagonists of the show and written something meaningful with them... Too late now if one remains true to the plot though, since I think they destroyed the world, did they not...?

            Yeah, well, as I said in my review - it's easy to come up with a promising premise. But execution is everything and this failed to execute well.

            In *some* sense, Eiki Eiki and Zaou Taishi's Love Gene Duble XX manga (http://okazu.blogspot.com/2011/08/love-gene-double-x-manga-xx.html) is another attempt at a really similar set-up. I'm still on the fence about that one. Again - the premise has potential, but how will the execution hold up?