Re: Yuricon Mailing List Policy - Please Read

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 25, 2011
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Rei Shaw <rei.shaw@...> wrote:

      > I do recognize how they are different situations, I was simply talking about
      > the "artists intent" arguement in and of itself... There are many other
      > situations where things are done against an artists wishes Which are not in
      > the legal grey zone of scanlations and fansubs... that was the point I was
      > trying to make.

      The ethicality of companies making decisions based on exploitative contracts is a whole topic of discussion on many sites. ^_^

      There really isn't a "grey zone" in the case of scanlations. All there is is the lack of creators knowing about it or feeling that they have any power to approach overseas illicit distributors. Most "ethical" scanltors know perfectly well thatmanga artists don't like scans, but waiting until they are actively told to stop by threat from company, lawyers or manga artists is hardly a "grey zone," really

      > But again when it becomes a harassment issue, they loose any moral high ground they might try to claim.

      Yes, there is that.

      I will repeat - I completely, totally sympathize with the frustration fans feel in not being able to get what they want. (I don't sympathize with fans who want it for free. That is simply childish selfishness.)

      I support the companies, the editors, artists, printers and distributors that make manga possible buy buying as much as I can. And so do *many* Yuricon members and Okazu readers. I'm very proud of all of you who do support the industry to the best of your ability. I also am with you all in wanting a system that provides a reasonably priced digital delivery system for translated manga, so we can all read what we want. I'm hoping that MangaReborn and JManga.com will be those solutions so that we can get what we want and still support the creators.