"Strawberry Panic" Wanted

  • Lyn
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 25, 2011
      I'm hoping a reader/member of this site is willing to trade or sell me a used copy of "Strawberry Panic." Please contact me off-site for what I have to trade, and other details. Thanks!
    • Ellen Kuhfeld
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 25, 2011
        Are you thinking manga, anime, or light novel? Amazon has them all at a very reasonable price. In English, even. Manga omnibus, $11.24, anime slimpak collection (subtitles) $34.99, light novels complete collection $10.19. The anime is a bit expensive, true, but there are used copies for sale for less.

        Ellen

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 25, 2011
          Ellen's answer is excellent and I can only add that you should talk to your local Library, if the prices are still out of your reach. Your Library may not have manga, anime or Light Novel collection, but they can ILL (Interlibrary Loan) it. If you opt for ILL, you probably have the lowest chance finding the anime, but I know for fact that my library has the Light Novel collection - because I just gave it to them - and they loan. So you can always get it that way. ^_^

          > On 7/25/2011 4:04 PM, Lyn wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm hoping a reader/member of this site is willing to trade or sell me
          > > a used copy of "Strawberry Panic." Please contact me off-site for what
          > > I have to trade, and other details. Thanks!

        • Kumiko Yamazaki
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 25, 2011
            Question...

            I got the complete novel series...but the manga omnibus..is it complete?

            kumi.

            --
            =============================
            Dare Sensei - The Legend of the Doctor - changed.

            http://www.daresensei.net/

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 25, 2011
              It's as complete as possible. The third volume was never completed in Japanese.

              To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 25, 2011
                Never...completed...?????? O_O

                Noooooooo   *runs down the road with a hankie in her mouth ala 1/2 the girls as Astrea Hill*

                Shizuma-saaammmmmmmma......ddddaiiissukki!!!! Waaahhhhh...

                Kumi.

                To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 26, 2011
                    To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                    From: ellen@...
                    Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 21:24:27 -0500

                    > My copy says "The Complete Manga Collection" on the spine and the
                    cover.

                    > Ellen

                    Yep. ^_^ Seven Seas collected all the manga that made it to print in Japan. So you have the complete collection of everything that made it to print.

                    At the end of the second volume of manga in Japan, there was an add for the third volume of manga...which was never released. After (I believe, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong) two more chapters, the manga was suspended in Dengeki G's magazine, where it was running.

                    So Seven Seas has collected all the chapters that exist, but the story itself remained incomplete. You can find a relatively complete history of the series here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Panic!

                    Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!: http://okazu.blogspot.com
                  • Lyn
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 26, 2011
                      My, such a lot of commotion! My intention was to ask for the manga, although I'll consider the anime and novels. (I've tried watching the anime of a particular series to get out of reading the manga. It doesn't work. I still want to read the manga.)

                      I was hoping I might find someone who would be willing to swap the manga (either the omnibus or the single vols.) for some manga magazines or other items I have, but that's something that can be discussed off-site. Even if I ended up paying, I'd prefer my dollars went to someone in the manga community before I gave money to a big corporate company like amazon.com.

                      I agree the library's an option, Erica, but mine charges fees for interlibrary loan. After a while, those add up.

                      And it is sad that "Strawberry Panic" is just one more example of a promising and popular manga (at least on a fan or niche level) that remains unfinished. I'd like to see, over the next decade, the international manga community work together to foster an environment in which manga with a demonstrated fan base can be completed.

                      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: ellen@...
                      > Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 21:24:27 -0500
                      > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] "Strawberry Panic" Wanted

                      > > My copy says "The Complete Manga Collection" on the spine and the
                      > cover.
                      >

                      > > Ellen
                      > Yep. ^_^ Seven Seas collected all the manga that made it to print in Japan. So you have the complete collection of everything that made it to print.
                      > At the end of the second volume of manga in Japan, there was an add for the third volume of manga...which was never released. After (I believe, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong) two more chapters, the manga was suspended in Dengeki G's magazine, where it was running.
                      > So Seven Seas has collected all the chapters that exist, but the story itself remained incomplete. You can find a relatively complete history of the series here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Panic!
                      > Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!: http://okazu.blogspot.com

                    • Candy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 26, 2011
                        I have the two single manga volumes released and the ominbus edition. Wasn't sure If I'd want to sell the singles or not but if you make a decent enough offer I'd probably part with them.

                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Lyn" <lynmarenjensen@...> wrote:

                        > My, such a lot of commotion! My intention was to ask for the manga, although I'll consider the anime and novels. (I've tried watching the anime of a particular series to get out of reading the manga. It doesn't work. I still want to read the manga.)
                        >
                        > I was hoping I might find someone who would be willing to swap the manga (either the omnibus or the single vols.) for some manga magazines or other items I have, but that's something that can be discussed off-site. Even if I ended up paying, I'd prefer my dollars went to someone in the manga community before I gave money to a big corporate company like amazon.com.
                        >
                        > I agree the library's an option, Erica, but mine charges fees for interlibrary loan. After a while, those add up.
                        >
                        > And it is sad that "Strawberry Panic" is just one more example of a promising and popular manga (at least on a fan or niche level) that remains unfinished. I'd like to see, over the next decade, the international manga community work together to foster an environment in which manga with a demonstrated fan base can be completed.

                      • grant foster
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 26, 2011
                          i have the the complete dvd's if thats what you mean?

                          let me know

                          grant

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 27, 2011
                            Thanks, but I'll decline the offer.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 27, 2011
                              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Lyn" <lynmarenjensen@...> wrote:

                              > I was hoping I might find someone who would be willing to swap the manga (either the omnibus or the single vols.) for some manga magazines or other items I have, but that's something that can be discussed off-site. Even if I ended up paying, I'd prefer my dollars went to someone in the manga community before I gave money to a big corporate company like amazon.com.

                              When you buy a new copy, your money *does* go to the manga community - the authors gets money based on sales. Buying used copies doesn't, in fact, give any money back to any of the people involved in the industry.

                              > I agree the library's an option, Erica, but mine charges fees for interlibrary loan. After a while, those add up.

                              It costs a lot to ship books for you, too.

                              > And it is sad that "Strawberry Panic" is just one more example of a promising and popular manga (at least on a fan or niche level) that remains unfinished. I'd like to see, over the next decade, the international manga community work together to foster an environment in which manga with a demonstrated fan base can be completed.

                              Obviously your opinion is valid and I'm not arguing with you, but from my perspective, this was a pandering and skanky manga, hardly something I would consider a paragon of lesbian love. I know I'm in a minority on this, but the covers are a dead giveaway IMHO.

                              Also I should point out that Yuri fandom has repeated proven that it is *not* a demonstrated fan base. Look at your desire to save a few bucks and not buy a copy of an in-print book. Yuri books simply do not sell all that well, and have not yet really been seen to support further efforts in publishing this genre.

                              If this fandom bought what it wanted to read/watch, there'd be *way* more of it. Publishers aren't avoiding Yuri for philosophical reasons. They aren't publishing Yuri, because they can't *sell* enough of it to make it worth the costs.

                            • Lyn
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 28, 2011
                                Sorry, Erica, if I hit a sensitive spot. I agree with all you say, and believe me, I want to support you and the rest of the manga community. That's why I buy all the manga I do. But for me, the price of being a dedicated fangurl and supporting manga is a sensitive spot, too.

                                This year I've bought perhaps thirty manga, when my budget broke somewhere around the "ten or twelve" mark. I buy from a number of sources--cons, online, and manga bookstores. Some manga I've bought new, some used. I've tried to make my purchases in ways that support both the retailers and the publishers.

                                I won't go into the details of my finances. Let's just say I'm on Social Security and eek out a few extra dollars with my writing.
                                Therefore I've found ways over the years to stretch my fan dollar including trading and borrowing from other fans or buying used manga. My choice isn't between buying used or buying new, it's buying (or trading for) used or doing without.

                                Believe me, I want to support your business and you're on my list to purchase manga from--but right now I'm arguing with myself about five other manga titles from other retailers--my good angel saying, "But you can't afford it" and my other good angel saying, "support manga!"

                                Maybe I'll read "Strawberry Panic" and find it "pandering and skanky," but it won't be the first time I've read a manga I found "pandering and skanky," and it appears "Strawberry Panic" is the most popular of the Seven Seas yuri titles, so I'd like to someday take the opportunity to find out for myself whether I think it's "pandering and skanky" or not.

                                Sorry about any miscommunication but don't you agree the yuri titles available in the USA (yours, Seven Seas, etc.) are selling to a fan base, even if that fan base is very small? I understand the market's profit-driven but you can sell to a niche, you just have to sell to the right people in that niche. I'd like to see the manga community develop so that artists may finish the projects they started, that's all.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 28, 2011
                                  Hi Lyn -

                                  > Sorry about any miscommunication but don't you agree the yuri titles available in the USA (yours, Seven Seas, etc.) are selling to a fan base, even if that fan base is very small? I understand the market's profit-driven but you can sell to a niche, you just have to sell to the right people in that niche. I'd like to see the manga community develop so that artists may finish the projects they started, that's all.

                                  I'm not saying your reasons aren't valid. But that is one less sale. When the majority of a fanbase has more reasons to not buy than sales are made, there are no profits to invest in the next project.

                                  The reality of publishing is that the amount of work it takes to publish a book means a certain number of books have to sell to make those costs back. If the fanbase is so small that the costs are not made up, or barely, no company has more money to pour into a losing battle. Yuri is - at the moment - a losing battle. Maybe there are 10K Yuri fans in the west. When only 20% of them buy a book, it really doesn't matter if they all "want" that book.

                                  I was asked by a company about the likelihood of sales for Aoi Hana. Presuming *really excellent* sales (pre-Wandering Son, so hardly anyone outside the Yuri audience knew the name of the artist,) and based on estimates I had from conversations with other publishers I could predict 4000 copies in sales. And that is only if the book sold incredibly well for a Yuri title. That would just barely cover the costs of a printing. There is no incentive for a publisher to cough up tens of thousands of dollars up front in hopes that, after a few years of working at it, they might make back that money. That's not how business works

                                  The Yuri market is simply too small to be self-supporting right now. Even saturating that niche means not enough sales for any one title to support the costs of bringing that title to print.  Believing anything else is really, honestly, just delusion.

                                  Yuricon - "For real women who like their women...animated." http://www.yuricon.org Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu.blogspot.com"World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldshaking.net The Fanfic Revolution - fanficrevolution.blogspot.com