Re: [Yuricon] Please read: Manga Self-Defense 101

  • Ellen Kuhfeld
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 26, 2011
      I don't plan on crossing any borders at the moment, but who knows how long before the TSA starts examining our laptops for the threat du jour? But I keep all sorts of things on an external drive instead of my computer's hard drive. THAT stays home when I travel. A good forensic examiner could probably find traces on my laptop - but they don't send good forensic examiners to operate Customs stations. There aren't enough of them.

      I'm not very worried. If I travel, I'll make sure to scrub the computer. If the border is scary, I'll take my netbook. The worst they can find will be some Wiccan music, and all kinds of details about murder methods, mostly encapsulated in novels. External drives are cheap enough today that you can leave LOTS safely at home.

      Ellen

      On 6/26/2011 2:17 PM, EricaF wrote:

      Hi all -

      I don't know if you've heard yet, about the guy who was detained coming back to the US from Canada, because of manga/doujinshi that he had on his laptop...but you should.

      I've written an article that discusses why this case is so very important for all of us - and what we can do as intelligent humans to be smart and safe.

      http://okazu.blogspot.com/2011/06/manga-self-defense-101.html

      This not off=topic asYuri and BL are especially prone to these kinds of misunderstandings/prejudices.

      I hope you will all read this, and consider helping the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund in defending this person - it could well be any of us.

    • iatheia
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 26, 2011
        What about written things such as fanfiction? I usually save things I like on my computer. Should the same precaution be applied there?

        Ida

        > Hi all -
        >
        > I don't know if you've heard yet, about the guy who was detained coming back to the US from Canada, because of manga/doujinshi that he had on his laptop...but you should.
        >
        > I've written an article that discusses why this case is so very important for all of us - and what we can do as intelligent humans to be smart and safe.
        >
        > http://okazu.blogspot.com/2011/06/manga-self-defense-101.html
        >
        > This not off=topic asYuri and BL are especially prone to these kinds of misunderstandings/prejudices.
        >
        > I hope you will all read this, and consider helping the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund in defending this person - it could well be any of us.

      • Renèe
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 26, 2011
          Very good article, Erica. I had some friends give me a heads up about this. I have been an advocate of CBLF and The Hero Initiative for sometime. CBLF also has more info and ways you can donate to them or the case on their website.

          You're right, we have to use some common sense in what to and what to no transport because there's no guarantee customs agents will. Even magical girl transformation scenes can be taken out of context. Remember guys, they even consider naked baby photos child porn these days, but when many of us were little, it was considered the norm (and also our parents could embarrass us when we brought dates home as teenagers)...

          Be safe everyone and when in doubt, throw it out. Many of these officials dont care about character age, story cotext, etc. It's all about appearance.

          -Renèe
        • Adam Jones
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 26, 2011
            On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 03:13:24 -0000, "iatheia" <iatheia@...> wrote:

            > What about written things such as fanfiction? I usually save things I
            > like on my computer. Should the same precaution be applied there?

            It depends where you're going, but in general most countries seem far
            more relaxed about written materials than images.
            .oO("Yes I feel like a cheap dirty whore." )