Re: New Shimura Takako manga online

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 9 5:27 AM
      Matt Thorn has written an *excellent* article about the new series here: http://matt-thorn.com/wordpress/?p=522 This is a must-read!

    • Katherine
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 9 8:37 AM
        Thanks for pointing it out! :-) It was very interesting.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 9 10:14 AM
          Wasn't it enlightening? I was in contact with that author of a book about the Group that Must not be Named and she had the door slammed in her face after that book was published.

          So, the naming scheme, what it says and what it doesn't is *very* critical.

          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine" <smithie_28@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for pointing it out! :-) It was very interesting.

          > > Matt Thorn has written an *excellent* article about the new series here: http://matt-thorn.com/wordpress/?p=522 This is a must-read!
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > >
          > > Erica

        • Anna Haapaniemi
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 10 6:43 AM
            [Yuricon] Re: New Shimura Takako manga online
            Long time since I wrote onything on the list, but I'm always enjoying just reading it!

            Took some time before I had time to read this, but both the manga and the article was great. A.F.T.T.W.M.N.B.N must be the funniest acronym in some time ^^

            I have also jsut gotten my hands on some japanese lesbian novels (by lesbian, about lesbian, at least partly for lesbians) which I look very mcuh forward to reading, just gotta find the time ><
            Might give you all an update when I've done that ;p

            Cheers,
            Anna

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 10 10:09 AM
              I knew about the Takarasiennes' out(-ish) relationships with their fans way back when (thanks to a Takarazuka mega-fangirl I know), but I didn't know that the corporation behind Takarazuka is so hyper-defensive about Takarazuka being seen as, "Not gay AT ALL. Definitely, definitely, definitely NOT, oh my god NO." Not that surprising, but still makes me feel bad for the Takarasiennes who actually are gay. (Also makes me want to buy Shimura-sensei a drink for for choosing that setting, regardless of how much or little yuri she writes into it.)

              > Wasn't it enlightening? I was in contact with that author of a book about the Group that Must not be Named and she had the door slammed in her face after that book was published.
              >
              > So, the naming scheme, what it says and what it doesn't is *very* critical.

              > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine" <smithie_28@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks for pointing it out! :-) It was very interesting.
              > >
              > > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "EricaF" <anilesbocon01@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Matt Thorn has written an *excellent* article about the new series here: http://matt-thorn.com/wordpress/?p=522 This is a must-read!
              > > >
              > > > Cheers,
              > > >
              > > > Erica

            • mara_papimer
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 12 1:35 PM
                "by lesbian, about lesbian, at least partly for lesbians"

                Now that has set my rare hunter senses off!

                Please post your thoughts as soon as it is convenient for you. Thank you in advance.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 12 2:39 PM
                  Not so much "out" as patron/star, which has roots in oh, every society humans have ever had.

                  Yeah, TK has been vehement about any taint of lesbianism...for many reasons.

                  When the troupe was begun, Freudianpsychology has just hit the shores of Japan, and you know he was pretty emphatic that same-sex relationships were immature and potentially harmful. Upt that point, Japanese culture had no particular taboos against it, but when science said it was a perversion and bad....it suddenly became bad.

                  Then there were some infamous scandals back in the 20s and 30s with some of the Takarisiennes being see in shady places with shady people, behaving shadily.

                  Since Takarazuka was created to develop young women into good wives and wise mothers, that didn't look so good, so they cracked down hard.

                  The whole idea behing TK as a school was a sort of finishing school, where good would go to become poised and accomplished - not to develop personalities, or sexual interests.

                  To this day, according to official records and spokespeople there are no lesbians in Takarazuka, and why would you even ask such a ridiculous thing?