Re: Utena ahoy!~

  • shenotski
    Message 1 of 12 , May 24, 2011
      One thing to note the artwork is the same as the dvd selves on my Japanese 10th anniversary DVD release.

      Message 2 of 12 , May 24, 2011
        The day the box set design was released, a former CPM employee said on Twitter that he felt shamed by the design, compared to CPM's.

        I don't think CPM did a bad idea, but the box design is really lovely.

        My copy arrived today. I can't wait to be able to watch it!

        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "shenotski" <isaacfrankfischer@...> wrote:

        > One thing to note the artwork is the same as the dvd selves on my Japanese 10th anniversary DVD release.
        > >

        > > Mere days until the release of the first re-mastered Revolutionary Girl Utena box set! RightStuf says that folks who pre-order all three sets get "something really cool" but they can't tell us yet. ^_^
        > >
        > > What are you looking forward to most?

      • Candy
        Message 3 of 12 , May 25, 2011
          It is quite lovely. From a graphic design point I have ONE issue with the box design. The gray for the lettering (and the lettering themselves) on the edge of the box blends in to much. The letters are to thin for the gray they used. You get a few feet away and it's hard to read. You can't even read revolutionary girl and student council saga on the edge unless it's about two feet away from your face and you are actually LOOKING for it. It ends up being seen as UTENA which is fine I guess. I think just upping the white in the gray they chose would help readability if anything. I understand why they chose those fonts but both are so very thin (and do not shrink well). Changing the font now cause complaints on the 'set' feel between sets but they could make it a lighter gray with little threat on it.

          Message 4 of 12 , May 25, 2011
            I totally agree with you, but given how creepy-cool the design is, I'm wondering if they did that on purpose.

            The cover art is also very understated, and the use of white really serves to point out how dark the design is.

            The cover would make a really amazing poster that you'd wake up in the night, see, and scream...every time. :-)

            Message 5 of 12 , May 25, 2011
              If they made all 6 sides of the box sets into wall scrolls I'd pick them all up in a heartbeat. Don't know where they'd end up being placed on my walls but I'd buy them.

              I'm not saying they should put the lettering to white on the edge of the box, I'm just saying choose a lighter gray (and if their worried only that shade for the edge of the box) if they were going to change it at all. The illustrations were very careful in their use of white and it works. Throwing pure white fonts at the bottom could be counterproductive in the feel they were trying for and to keep when bringing to the US market.

              Any guesses for the 'cool' preorder item that they announced? I'm hoping (well moreso dreaming because I doubt they'd do it) a replica of the rose seal ring. More realistic hope is a box to put all the sets in like my Xena has. Maybe a cellphone charm like the maria watches over us sets came with with the rose seal. I've been meaning to replace the My otome charm on my cell for a bit (my maria watches over us charms are either in use are honestly unusable, almost lost one of them quite a few times from it just falling off the chain).

              Message 6 of 12 , May 25, 2011
                I totally agree with the font/color issue. I'm not all that fond of the font they chose either - I would have liked to see something more elaborate. But oh well, they didn't ask us. ^_^

                And yes, I'm REALLY hoping for the rose seal ring. (I don't know any more than anyone, even though I talk with the TRSI folks, they won't tell me! lol) I'm trying to not get too hopeful, because if it isn't the ring, I don't want to be disappointed.

                But....wouldn't it be so cool if it were the ring? That'd be worth pre-ordering the sets, for sure. ^_^