"Voiceful"

  • Lyn
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12 12:31 PM
      Last week I read Voiceful by Nawoko (Seven Seas) and wanted to recommend it. The manga-ka's note says, "It's a yuri magazine [that the story was originally published in] but it's pretty far from yuri, so I have to apologize for that. I kept thinking about relationships that can only "take root between girls" while I was drawing."

      She doesn't have to apologize! We need more stories about relationships that can only take root between girls. Let's put it this way, the stories are about love between young women, and they can be interpreted on different levels (as love or--LOVE). The title story is about an agorophobic girl who meets her favorite singer on the Internet.

      Sometimes this manga is listed as vol. 1 but the main story is a self-contained in four chapters plus a bonus story. Of course the door's left open for a possible sequel someday but that's much what happens with any story in any medium. Then there are two other little unrelated stand-alone stories, plus a "Special Preview" (excerpt) of First Love Sisters, another yuri schoolgirl manga from Seven Seas.

      Too bad Seven Seas manga are so hard to find on bookstore shelves! However, as Voiceful is rated 16-up, at least it should be easy to find on eBay!
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12 5:08 PM
        I agree, Lyn. In both my reviews Of the Japanese volume: http://is.gd/oQHGZK and later, the English translation: http://is.gd/cdcUhA that the move to a collection benefited the stories and gave them, if anything, more of an emotional connection between women than they had been, as one-shot stories in Yuri Shimai magazine.

        I still like Kanae and Hina's story very much and I'm glad to see nawoko drawing again for Tsubomi magazine - where her stories are very much like those in "Voiceful."

        Message 3 of 4 , May 13 11:16 AM
          We could compare this manga to "Silver Diamond" on the yaoi side, which is open to interpretation on whether it's about "love between men" or "LOVE...BETWEEN...MEN!" I also like the way music plays such an important role in the "Voiceful" story/stories. I keep picturing a movie with Chrystal Bowersox in the part as Hina's musical mentor!

          Message 4 of 4 , May 13 4:16 PM
            nawoko's new stories are also filled with the idea of music. (It would be interesting to see them turned into animated shorts, just to see what music would be picked for the soundtrack.)