Re: I got my Kashimashi Vocal collection today

  • Candy
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2011
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Candy" <sailor_mars_cf@...> wrote:

      > One of the center dvd holders tab things got destroyed in shipping :/. Debating on contacting amazon and getting a replacement. There wasn't much damage besides that. The dvd in question has light scratches on one side but I don't believe anything that will cause issues with playback. I have another set that I can steal a center from to give enough spots for the dvds in this set that I don't use.
      >
      > Watching it as we speak.

      Most of the english voices I don't have a problem with but Tormari though just bothers me. I don't know quite why yet. It's not bad acting. I guess I just thought of her voice being a little 'cuter'.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2011
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Candy" <sailor_mars_cf@...> wrote:

        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Candy" <sailor_mars_cf@> wrote:

        > Most of the english voices I don't have a problem with but Tormari though just bothers me. I don't know quite why yet. It's not bad acting. I guess I just thought of her voice being a little 'cuter'.

        That's always a risk with dubs. My big bugaboo is when dub actors massacre the characters names.

      • Pachy
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2011
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Candy" <sailor_mars_cf@...> wrote:

          Most of the english voices I don't have a problem with but Tormari though just bothers me. I don't know quite why yet. It's not bad acting. I guess I just thought of her voice being a little 'cuter'.

          I believe it's because there was a lot of 'honking' in her tone. It just didn't match as well as the original seiyuu, in my opinion. But having heard some of her other stuff, the English dub actress is not a bad actress at all, they just went in a poorly-chosen direction with the voice. Media Blasters dubs are normally hit-or-miss, but when one or two of the main characters are the 'misses' it's not easily overlookable and the overall cast doesn't sound as good as it could.

          I really don't think this dub lived up to whatever hype it had, and after having watched just the first two episodes I couldn't watch the rest of the show like this. 'Queen's Blade' unfortunately had a more fitting dub than this. The big drawback to sticking to the subbed version, however, is going back to reading the sloppy translations where the characters refer to Hazumu as a `he' when they clearly think of Hazumu as a `she,' something of which I really wish Media Blasters would take some time just to make that one correction and yet sadly was improved only in the dub. Oh well.--Pachy