Language of Flowers moment

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14, 2011
      I am watching "Imagine Me and You" ( http://amzn.to/g556xc) a romantic comedy about a newly-married woman who falls in love with a local florist who is a lesbian. It's not original and much of the humor is wrapped around hi-larious moments like the "hiding of the newly purchased lesbian porn with much fumbling." But, I guess it's cute if you like romantic comedy.

      There was a moment as the florist, Luce, and Rachel the married woman are walking back home and Luce is discussing the Language of Flowers. Some of you may be familiar with that, but some might not, so: Language of Flowers is something that just about every culture has some version of - using flowers to indicate a message to the recipient. If you look up a flower name and "language of flowers" you'll find any number of variations on the theme. You all know some version of it - giving someone red roses is almost always seen as an indication of romantic interest. ^_^

      The moment that made me think to write this was, Rachel asks, "what about lilies?" (I bet you saw that coming, eh?) and Luce replies, "the lily means 'I Dare You to Love Me.'"

      I've seen about a dozen meanings for the many different kinds of lily, but for some reason...I like that one best. ^_^

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 14, 2011
        /snerk/....and we've now established that Luce likes lilies best.

        At least for this one reason, I have to like this movie!

        To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 14, 2011
          One of my favorite movies. Yes I also grinned at the lilies references.

          I've been wondering how lilies became a modern international symbol for lesbianism but couldn't turn up anything with some quick googling. The earliest reference I saw was from 1994: a pink lily depicted in the stained glass windows of a gay and lesbian church in Dallas.

          Is it cross-cultural contamination after the coining of Yurizoku? Or are there some pre-existing influences which led to that usage of lily/yuri. E.g:
          >"In ancient Greece, people regarded lily flower as a symbol of sexuality. The lily flower also had an important role to play in the old folktales. As per the tradition, it is said one always approached an expectant mother with a lily and a rose flower. (The lily would symbolize a boy and the rose would represent a girl.) Thus, if the mother picks the rose, it would be a baby girl or if she would pick the lily, it would be a baby boy!"
          > - http://www.buzzle.com/articles/symbolism-of-the-lily.html

          Perhaps girls that were born after their mother chose a lily were sometimes assumed to be lesbians.

        • yadez105@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 14, 2011
            That's one of my favorite lily references, too. ;)

            I think that particular meaning is very Yuri because it seems very similar to all the story type A's that are out there.

            Although, many of the main characters usually mope about unrequited loves more than actually dare their object of affection to love them back LOL.

            Regards,

            Yadez

            From: Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...>
            Sender: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com