Re: Live Action "Sailor Moon" With Lady Gaga

  • Lyn
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 11, 2011
      Gee, this April fool didn't foresee what kind of controversy was going to break out. I'm going to take a middle road. When I saw the announcement from TokyoPop, the photo didn't look photoshopped (I didn't look too close), I didn't have my April Fool's radar on, and I didn't see any reason to doubt the story on the surface. Movie deals are frequently announced and then nobody ever hears anything more about them.

      I guess it's stupid and unfunny if you don't like Lady Gaga but then I still think it was pretty stupid and unfunny to cast Tom Cruise as the Vampire Lestat, and that was no April Fool's joke. (I wish it was.)

      However, either TokyoPop photoshopped a photo or there really is a photo of Lady Gaga in a Sailor dress kicking around. If the photo was faked and Lady Gaga's image was used without her consent, she could claim right of publicity, but she'd probably have to show harm and there is a case to be made that "any publicity is good publicity."

      I'm reminded of a fundraising advertizement I received recently that was about how an organization was selling "my" book. I sent them an e-mail to say, I'm a writer, and I resent your implication. They took my complaint seriously and apologized.