Re: [Yuricon] Live Action "Sailor Moon" With Lady Gaga

  • grant foster
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 8, 2011
      when?!!

      wounder which character she will play?

      any ideas?

      grant
    • Rei Shaw
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 8, 2011
        Best April Fools movie announcement EVER! While I'd prefer a Japanese cast if they ever did make a movie with Gaga playing Usagi (or Minkao, I think she'd make a better Minako), I'd watch it.
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 8, 2011
          It was a stupid, unfunny and potentially actionable April Fool's joke by idiots at Tokyopop.

          They have no links to Lady Gaga and frankly, I hope she sues them for using her name w/out permission.

          Tokyopop has no links to Sailor Moon anymore, either. The license reverted back to Bandai Visual a few years ago.  They do not have the rights to make *any* Sailor Moon anything.

          On the whole, do not believe any press releases you see dated April 1st. For some reason comics and manga entities really think it's hilarious to create erroneous press releases. I wish they would all grow up.

          Here's an example of a genius prank. We can all learn from this: http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/04/oregon_legislature_rick_roll.php

          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: lynmarenjensen@...
          > Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 18:44:33 +0000
          > Subject: [Yuricon] Live Action "Sailor Moon" With Lady Gaga
          >
          > Have you seen the news from TokyoPop that Lady Gaga has been signed to star in a "Sailor Moon" live-action feature?

          > <*> Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          > Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
          > Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Rei Shaw
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 8, 2011
            Even our local newspapers plants a fake newstory on April 1 it's a tradition, and expected. I doubt there will be any kind of lawsuit to come out of it (yes it could but it really wouldn't be worth the negative press it would attarct for Gaga to do so). And come to think of it, it's not the best April fools joke movie announcement I forgot about the time IGN made a whole trailer for a Zelda movie and released it on April 1.

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8, 2011
              If you check what your local paper does, presuming they have a legal department, I'm pretty sure you'll find that they don't run articles about famous people doing things they aren't doing or talking about IP they don't own. :-)

              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Rei Shaw <rei.shaw@...> wrote:

              > Even our local newspapers plants a fake newstory on April 1 it's a
              > tradition, and expected. I doubt there will be any kind of lawsuit to come
              > out of it (yes it could but it really wouldn't be worth the negative press
              > it would attarct for Gaga to do so). And come to think of it, it's not the
              > best April fools joke movie announcement I forgot about the time IGN made a
              > whole trailer for a Zelda movie and released it on April 1.
              >
              > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...>wrote:
              >

              > > It was a stupid, unfunny and potentially actionable April Fool's joke by
              > > idiots at Tokyopop.
              > >

              > > They have no links to Lady Gaga and frankly, I hope she sues them for using
              > > her name w/out permission.
              > >

              > > Tokyopop has no links to Sailor Moon anymore, either. The license reverted
              > > back to Bandai Visual a few years ago. They do not have the rights to make
              > > *any* Sailor Moon anything.
              > >

              > > On the whole, do not believe any press releases you see dated April 1st.
              > > For some reason comics and manga entities really think it's hilarious to
              > > create erroneous press releases. I wish they would all grow up.
              > >

              > > Here's an example of a genius prank. We can all learn from this:
              > > http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/04/oregon_legislature_rick_roll.php
              > >

              > > Cheers,
              > >

              > > Erica
              > >

              > > Yuricon - "For real women who like their women...animated."
              > > http://www.yuricon.org
              > >
              > > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              > > > From: lynmarenjensen@...
              > > > Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 18:44:33 +0000
              > > > Subject: [Yuricon] Live Action "Sailor Moon" With Lady Gaga
              > >

              > > > Have you seen the news from TokyoPop that Lady Gaga has been signed to
              > > star in a "Sailor Moon" live-action feature?

            • JoSelle Vanderhooft
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 8, 2011
                Aww...I thought it was kind of funny...

                - Jo

                --
                Author, poet, and editor:
                Latest publication: Steam-Powered: Lesbian Steampunk Stories

                For more information visit http://www.joselle-vanderhooft.com, JoSelle's Official Site

              • Rei Shaw
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 8, 2011
                  It's kind of hard to say if this would be considred libel or not, since Gaga is famous enough to be considered a public figure and an April fools joke falls under the realm of parody and satire. It's like Sean Connery on celeberty jeopardy you can use someone's name in a joke.

                  The only potential problems on Gaga's side is the copyright of the image and if she really wanted to make a libel case claiming that this somehow hurt her reputation, in which case she could sue for damages. However Tokyo Pop is probably counting on it not being worth Gaga's effort or the bad PA it would generate.

                  I'm sure she has a sense of humor about these things.

                  I'm by no means a fan of Mixx/Tokyopop in any incarnation but I think it's just a silly little joke that people will forget about a week from now.

                  On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 3:44 PM, EricaF <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

                  If you check what your local paper does, presuming they have a legal department, I'm pretty sure you'll find that they don't run articles about famous people doing things they aren't doing or talking about IP they don't own. :-)

                • Zovistograt

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 11, 2011
                      Gee, this April fool didn't foresee what kind of controversy was going to break out. I'm going to take a middle road. When I saw the announcement from TokyoPop, the photo didn't look photoshopped (I didn't look too close), I didn't have my April Fool's radar on, and I didn't see any reason to doubt the story on the surface. Movie deals are frequently announced and then nobody ever hears anything more about them.

                      I guess it's stupid and unfunny if you don't like Lady Gaga but then I still think it was pretty stupid and unfunny to cast Tom Cruise as the Vampire Lestat, and that was no April Fool's joke. (I wish it was.)

                      However, either TokyoPop photoshopped a photo or there really is a photo of Lady Gaga in a Sailor dress kicking around. If the photo was faked and Lady Gaga's image was used without her consent, she could claim right of publicity, but she'd probably have to show harm and there is a case to be made that "any publicity is good publicity."

                      I'm reminded of a fundraising advertizement I received recently that was about how an organization was selling "my" book. I sent them an e-mail to say, I'm a writer, and I resent your implication. They took my complaint seriously and apologized.