Re: Nozomi/RightStuf Announces the 1st Revolutionary Girl Utena Box Set

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 15, 2011
      No announcement for that yet. Why not email them and let them know you'd like one!

      I did ask about a Blu-Ray for the movie when they announced they had licensed it, they apologized and said that was not likely at this time.

      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Rei Shaw <rei.shaw@...> wrote:

      > Very nice, but no Bluray release?

    • Adam Jones
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 15, 2011
        On 14-Mar-2011 23:46 -0600, Rei Shaw wrote:
        > Very nice, but no Bluray release?

        ISTR being told by a friend knowledgeable in such matters that the
        masters for Utena are such (16mm film?) that there wouldn't really be
        any great benefit to a Blu-Ray release (there's no real additional
        resolution available).

        I guess the compression would be somewhat better with the more modern
        codecs available, but since the remastered DVDs have been cleaned up
        and are already at the maximum possible DVD bitrate (and therefore
        video quality), it's unlikely there'd be any perceptible benefit to be
        gained there either.

        So in short: you could fit the show on fewer discs, but you wouldn't get
        an HD version of the TV series. (The movie, on the other hand...)
        .oO("your a major looser, mr grammar puss." )
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 15, 2011
          That seems quite reasonable an explanation.

          I would also like to see the movie at Blu-Ray quality, but I recently re-watched it and found it held up really well. Perhaps the issue is the same.

          In any case, TRSI was pretty convinced at the time that no BD for the movie would be forthcoming.

          > On 14-Mar-2011 23:46 -0600, Rei Shaw wrote:
          > > Very nice, but no Bluray release?
          >
          > ISTR being told by a friend knowledgeable in such matters that the
          > masters for Utena are such (16mm film?) that there wouldn't really be
          > any great benefit to a Blu-Ray release (there's no real additional
          > resolution available).
          >
          > I guess the compression would be somewhat better with the more modern
          > codecs available, but since the remastered DVDs have been cleaned up
          > and are already at the maximum possible DVD bitrate (and therefore
          > video quality), it's unlikely there'd be any perceptible benefit to be
          > gained there either.
          >
          > So in short: you could fit the show on fewer discs, but you wouldn't get
          > an HD version of the TV series. (The movie, on the other hand...)
          > --
          > Adam Jones (adam@...)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
          > .oO("your a major looser, mr grammar puss." )

        • shenotski
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 16, 2011
            Let see if they got anything like the extras on the 10th aniversary disk this should be quite the treat. From my set what i can remember is every disk had links right to the duels. The live action theater, interviews with the creator and voice actors.

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 17, 2011
              > Let see if they got anything like the extras on the 10th aniversary disk this
              > should be quite the treat. From my set what i can remember is every disk had
              > links right to the duels. The live action theater, interviews with the creator
              > and voice actors.

              Looks like we're getting it all. ^_^

              From the press release:

              DVD Features:
              Scene access, remastered video from the recent Japanese DVD re-release, Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo audio for English and Japanese dialogue, new Dolby 5.1 audio for Japanese dialogue, English subtitles and English on-screen translations. PLUS: Clean opening, clean closing, live-action video for opening single, TV spot for opening single, and TV spots for the Japanese remastered DVD release. AND: A book featuring content from the recent, limited-edition Japanese DVD box set, including episode commentary, a discussion of the updated audio and video, discussions about the series' opening and closing sequences, and production notes from the Japanese laser disc release (part 1).
            • Rei Shaw
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 17, 2011
                I've never seen the musicals in full (and I'm a sucker for musicals in general and anime based musicals in particular have tons of the Sailor Moon and Sakura Taisen ones) the only copy I saw was obviously abridged with title cards explaining what happened between the musical numbers.

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 18, 2011
                  http://www.ohtori.nu/anniversary/ a look at the 10 anniversary sets for those interested. Unfortunately I don't think they're in print anymore.

                  > Looks like we're getting it all. ^_^
                  >
                  > From the press release:
                  >
                  > DVD Features:
                  > Scene access, remastered video from the recent Japanese DVD re-release, Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo audio for English and Japanese dialogue, new Dolby 5.1 audio for Japanese dialogue, English subtitles and English on-screen translations. PLUS: Clean opening, clean closing, live-action video for opening single, TV spot for opening single, and TV spots for the Japanese remastered DVD release. AND: A book featuring content from the recent, limited-edition Japanese DVD box set, including episode commentary, a discussion of the updated audio and video, discussions about the series' opening and closing sequences, and production notes from the Japanese laser disc release (part 1).

                • Candy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 19, 2011
                    i preordered it during their nozomi sale and got it for 33 so far. I have a friend who is wondering if their gonna release a non limited edition set later. She's not sure if she wants to preorder it now or try and pick it up later.