8.9 Earthquake in Japan

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 11 8:52 AM
      By now, most of you have heard that there was an extremely powerful earthquake in Japan. It measured 8.9 and is considered to be the worst ever recorded. This has been followed by strong aftershocks. Tsunamis measuring 10 meters high are hitting the coast of Sendai and Fukushima. And unfortunately, but not surprisingly, fires are breaking out in some areas.

      I have spent the morning contacting our friends, colleagues and acquaintances in Japan. So far, we're receiving positive responses from everyone. Even our friends in Hokkaido seem to be safe at the moment.

      Of course, we all are sending good thoughts and prayers to everyone in Japan.

      If you are not philosophically opposed to supporting the Red Cross, you can Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to the international relief fund for Japan. I am not endorsing the Red Cross and there are other reputable rescue and relief organizations. Please follow your conscience and do what you think is right and best in regards to offering relief.

    • Ozan Türkyılmaz
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 11 9:48 AM
        2011/3/11 EricaF <anilesbocon01@...>

        By now, most of you have heard that there was an extremely powerful earthquake in Japan. It measured 8.9 and is considered to be the worst ever recorded. This has been followed by strong aftershocks. Tsunamis measuring 10 meters high are hitting the coast of Sendai and Fukushima. And unfortunately, but not surprisingly, fires are breaking out in some areas.

        It is too earily to declare it worst ever recored. However it is 5th highest recored[1] earthquake.

        --
        Ozan, BSc, BEng

        [1] Historic earthquakes can be computed. My advisor did several.
      • Pachy
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 11 10:54 AM

          > I have spent the morning contacting our friends, colleagues and acquaintances in Japan. So far, we're receiving positive responses from everyone. Even our friends in Hokkaido seem to be safe at the moment.

          A relief to hear, as nightmare-ish as this sounds for Japan. I also wish them the best--Eric
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 11 10:58 AM

            > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            > From: pachy_boy@...
            > Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:54:48 +0000
            > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: 8.9 Earthquake in Japan

            > > I have spent the morning contacting our friends, colleagues and acquaintances in Japan. So far, we're receiving positive responses from everyone. Even our friends in Hokkaido seem to be safe at the moment.
            >
            > A relief to hear, as nightmare-ish as this sounds for Japan. I also wish them the best--Eric

            I am still waiting to hear back from a few people, but I can see that many of them have been active on Twitter recently, so I am less worried about them than otherwise.

          • XTNa
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 11 11:05 AM
              Thanks for this.

              I'm still awaiting word from my aunt, but it's good to know all your folks are safe and accounted for.

              Christina
              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 11 11:22 AM
                Christina -

                We'll keep our fingers crossed that you hear from your aunt soon!

                > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                > From: indigo_veil@...
                > Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:05:49 -0500
                > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] 8.9 Earthquake in Japan
                >
                > Thanks for this.
                >
                > I'm still awaiting word from my aunt, but it's good to know all your folks are safe and accounted for.
                >
                > Christina
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On Mar 11, 2011, at 11:52 AM, "EricaF" <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                >
                > > By now, most of you have heard that there was an extremely powerful earthquake in Japan. It measured 8.9 and is considered to be the worst ever recorded. This has been followed by strong aftershocks. Tsunamis measuring 10 meters high are hitting the coast of Sendai and Fukushima. And unfortunately, but not surprisingly, fires are breaking out in some areas.
                > >
                > > I have spent the morning contacting our friends, colleagues and acquaintances in Japan. So far, we're receiving positive responses from everyone. Even our friends in Hokkaido seem to be safe at the moment.
                > >
                > > Of course, we all are sending good thoughts and prayers to everyone in Japan.
                > >
                > > If you are not philosophically opposed to supporting the Red Cross, you can Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to the international relief fund for Japan. I am not endorsing the Red Cross and there are other reputable rescue and relief organizations. Please follow your conscience and do what you think is right and best in regards to offering relief.
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > >
                > > Erica

                > <*> Your email settings:
                > Individual Email | Traditional
                >
                > <*> To change settings online go to:
                > (Yahoo! ID required)
                >
                > <*> To change settings via email:
                > Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
                > Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Kumiko Yamazaki
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 11 6:14 PM
                  My Grannnie and Auntie contacted us yesterday and told us they were fine.Love to all

                  Kumi.

                  On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 3:22 AM, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

                  Christina -

                  We'll keep our fingers crossed that you hear from your aunt soon!

                  > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: indigo_veil@...
                  > Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:05:49 -0500
                  > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] 8.9 Earthquake in Japan

                  > Thanks for this.
                  >
                  > I'm still awaiting word from my aunt, but it's good to know all your folks are safe and accounted for.
                  >
                  > Christina
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Mar 11, 2011, at 11:52 AM, "EricaF" <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > By now, most of you have heard that there was an extremely powerful earthquake in Japan. It measured 8.9 and is considered to be the worst ever recorded. This has been followed by strong aftershocks. Tsunamis measuring 10 meters high are hitting the coast of Sendai and Fukushima. And unfortunately, but not surprisingly, fires are breaking out in some areas.
                  > >
                  > > I have spent the morning contacting our friends, colleagues and acquaintances in Japan. So far, we're receiving positive responses from everyone. Even our friends in Hokkaido seem to be safe at the moment.
                  > >
                  > > Of course, we all are sending good thoughts and prayers to everyone in Japan.
                  > >
                  > > If you are not philosophically opposed to supporting the Red Cross, you can Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to the international relief fund for Japan. I am not endorsing the Red Cross and there are other reputable rescue and relief organizations. Please follow your conscience and do what you think is right and best in regards to offering relief.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers,
                  > >
                  > > Erica

                  > <*> Your email settings:
                  > Individual Email | Traditional
                  >
                  > <*> To change settings online go to:
                  > (Yahoo! ID required)
                  >
                  > <*> To change settings via email:
                  > Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  > Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  --
                  =============================
                  Dare Sensei - The Legend of the Doctor - changed.

                  http://www.daresensei.net/

                • Nick Perez
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 12 5:49 AM
                    My online contact in Japan lives in Sendai, one the areas hit, but I do know that her father is a traveling businessman and usually takes his family with him so I hope they're alright.  Her older sister lives in Osaka and they hold a joint e-mail so I fired one off last night, I am praying for their safety. Unfortunatefly, I know that her uncle worked at a power plant I just hope it wasn't the one that exploded.
                    I am praying with all my might.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 12 7:15 AM
                      I am so glad to hear it Kumiko!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 12 7:16 AM
                        We'll join you in your prayers, Nick.

                        If they live in the area around the Fukushima plant, they will have been evacuated by now.

                        Erica