Re: [Yuricon] Is Borders discontinuing manga?

  • Physics Cam
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2011

      From what I heard from a comic shop owner (in Ann Arbor, MI), Toykopop is no longer selling to Border's.  This is supported by this piece....  http://comicsworthreading.com/2008/06/14/how-mighty-publishers-have-fallen-more-on-tokyopop/

      Of course, being in Ann Arbor, there are all sorts of rumours flying about Border's since Jim Cramer gave his views on the chain....<shrug>

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2011
        Tokyopop has once again returned to Diamond for distribution.

        Diamond is no longer sending books to Borders, because the chain has been delaying or defaulting on payment to distributors.

        Therefore companies that use Diamond as a distributor are not sending books to Borders. That includes Tokyopop.

        Companies like Vertical and Yen have other distributors that may or may not be shipping to Borders.

        All of the manga companies have other methods by which you can purchase their books. Comic shops still get Previews and you can place your orders from Diamond that way. Companies have online shops, there's Amazon and RightStuf if you prefer to shop across companies and there are other bookstores that can place orders for you.

        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Physics Cam <physicscam@...> wrote:

        > From what I heard from a comic shop owner (in Ann Arbor, MI), Toykopop is no longer selling to Border's.  This is supported by this piece....  http://comicsworthreading.com/2008/06/14/how-mighty-publishers-have-fallen-more-on-tokyopop/
        > Of course, being in Ann Arbor, there are all sorts of rumours flying about Border's since Jim Cramer gave his views on the chain....<shrug>

      • Natasha's Account
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2011
          Basically what I heard from an employee they are struggling just like a lot of retailers. So they are halting buying on a lot of merchandise to   Prepare for reorganization. Barnes and nobles did a major over hall of layout etc. They are supposedly carrying fewer titles of everything in the store, and offering more selection online to be orderedfrom theirwarehouse cheaper than brick and mortar. They both have been consolidating store locations. This is the time for us as graphic novel, manga, comic etc. Readers to show our support for our favorite books. If we want stores to sell it we have to buy it. I don't know how many times I've went into Borders to by my monthly supply of graphic novels and their is a crowd of 5 or 6 people reading up a storm, and most walk out without making a purchase. It's a store not a library. Sorry so long, it's never good news when book sellers are having a hard time.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jan 28, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Physics Cam <physicscam@...> wrote:

          From what I heard from a comic shop owner (in Ann Arbor, MI), Toykopop is no longer selling to Border's.  This is supported by this piece....  http://comicsworthreading.com/2008/06/14/how-mighty-publishers-have-fallen-more-on-tokyopop/

          Of course, being in Ann Arbor, there are all sorts of rumours flying about Border's since Jim Cramer gave his views on the chain....<shrug>

          I came across something today about how Borders has "halted" purchasing of manga. Does this mean Borders is getting out of the manga business? Or is it just another rumor?

        • seiji_reften
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 29, 2011
            I just heard today that another company is loaning Borders some money to help them along, and DC has already re-started sending shipments. Manga may soon follow.