Re: The seasonal - SO, what are we reading/watching thread?

  • Lyn
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 28, 2011
      I'm actually watching a little anime along with my manga-reading this season. "Vampire Knight" is what I'm working my way through right now.

      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "sarcastic_weasel" <sarcastic_weasel@...> wrote:

      > > So, what are you watching and reading to while away the hours this winter?
      >
      > Sora no Manimani tankubons when I feel like reading.
      >
      > Of course, I still get Monthly Jump delivered, so I'm keeping up with Hayate x Blade, and some of the other manga in there as well.
      >
      > Watching-wise, I'm still in the "trial" period, so I'm watching more now than I'll probably end up watching.
      >
      > I like Madoka Magica, probably because it's a little disturbing. "Chidamari Sketch" indeed.
      >
      > I also like Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? If only for the idea of the protagonist becoming a Zombie "Masou Shojou," and the awesome ending of episode 1. (No, I did not misspell Masou Shojou.) It's formulaic, but it's also funny. And I'm willing to overlook formula for the funny.
      >
      > I'm also watching Yumekui Merry. I already know where it's going, and I'm okay with that. It's a little bit monster-of-the-week-ish now, but it should get more arc-y soon. I love Merry's "Donut-lust" face. I also like the idea of fighting demons who try to invade your dreams.
      >
      > I want to watch Kimi ni Todoke, but it's going into a long arc that makes my teeth ache. It's like those Heinz Ketchup "Anticipation" commercials from Ye Olden Days that made me want to just shove a wooden spoon handle into the ketchup bottle.
      >
      > I get that same irritated feeling watching this show now. I'll probably just wait until the season is over and watch it all in one sitting, if I watch it.
      >
      > Still watching Gosick. Still enjoying it. I like how everything has an explanation. Observation and situational awareness both rock. Victorique is a great character. Kujo is bland, but he's supposed to be, because he's a light novel protagonist.
      >
      > Can't wait for A Channel to come this April.

    • Adam Jones
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 29, 2011
        I'm only really watching Hourou Musuko this season, but so far it's
        proving to be utterly delightful. (I really wish somebody would see
        their way clear to licensing Shimura Takako's work in English.)

        Due to the lack of interesting current shows, I'm also watching
        Princess Tutu for the first time, which is great fun. Needless to say,
        watching Black Swan in the cinema whilst halfway through Tutu was a
        strange experience; I spent an entire evening waiting for Natalie
        Portman to turn into a duck. :)
        .oO("i do not mean that malicly but with humor." )
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 29, 2011
          The problem with licensing Aoi Hana is *still* the lack of a critical mass for audience. If Fantagraphics does well with Wandering Son, there's certainly a better chance that Aoi Hana could get picked up. Fantagraphics, at least, doesn't expect crazy sales, since it is an art-house shop. But for a company that needs to sell about 4000 copies to break even, Aoi Hana is just on the risky side. If Wandering Son gets some traction, then Aoi Hana might have the power to do well.

          Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu.blogspot.com"

          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: adam@...
          > Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:37:46 +0000
          > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: The seasonal - SO, what are we reading/watching thread?
          >
          > I'm only really watching Hourou Musuko this season, but so far it's
          > proving to be utterly delightful. (I really wish somebody would see
          > their way clear to licensing Shimura Takako's work in English.)
          >
          > Due to the lack of interesting current shows, I'm also watching
          > Princess Tutu for the first time, which is great fun. Needless to say,
          > watching Black Swan in the cinema whilst halfway through Tutu was a
          > strange experience; I spent an entire evening waiting for Natalie
          > Portman to turn into a duck. :)
          > --
          > Adam Jones (adam@...)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
          > .oO("i do not mean that malicly but with humor." )

          > <*> Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          > Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
          > Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Adam Jones
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 29, 2011
            On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 10:04:27 -0500, Erica Friedman
            <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

            > The problem with licensing Aoi Hana is *still* the lack of a critical
            > mass for audience. If Fantagraphics does well with Wandering Son,
            > there's certainly a better chance that Aoi Hana could get picked up.

            I hadn't realised that someone had picked up the manga. So, that's
            just gone on my pre-order list - thanks. :)
            .oO("If I ever grow a penis, I'll keep that in mind." )