Re: [Yuricon] The seasonal - SO, what are we reading/watching thread?

  • Johann Chua
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 20, 2011
      On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 9:48 PM, EricaF <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
      > So, what are you watching and reading to while away the hours this winter?

      Mostly old stuff. Stockpiled a bunch of manga with Christmas/birthday
      money: Kekkaishi, One-Pound Gospel, Twin Spica, We Were There,
      Monster. Currently watching DVDs of School Rumble S2 and Saint Tail.
      Re-watched Gunbuster.

      Had my annual viewing of Aya Mail 3 on New Year's Eve. The Laser Disc
      version is one thing that has me thinking of getting my aunt's old LD
      player, if she still has it. Vintage anime and seiyuu LDs that
      haven't been released on DVD....
    • Laquandus Marion
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 20, 2011
        Watching anime version of Wolverine

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 20, 2011
          Some of the folks in the Lililicious chat on IRC turned me on to Hourou Musuko.  Just started it today and have only seen one episode so far, but it seems like this may be a series that will go to the top of my list of favorites, though not really a yuri series.

          kat_chan

          On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 8:48 AM, EricaF <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

          I'm finding this season of anime a little uninspiring, at least in part by the fact that my favorite anime of the year, Heartcatch PreCure, is about to end.

          My manga pile seems to just keep getting bigger and bigger, but my best find of 2010 definitely has to be Ohana Holoholo, a story about an alternative family of a woman, her former lover, her son and the former lover of her son's late father.

          So, what are you watching and reading to while away the hours this winter?

        • Pachy
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 21, 2011

            So, what are you watching and reading to while away the hours this winter?

            With manga, among a lot of other things in my pile I just got the entire Gunsmith Cats saga, so I'll be getting to that. That and the Mardock Scramble novel, with what I've been hearing about with the film trilogy.

            With anime, I was watching Fractale before Funimation had to put it on hold. I think I might be watching Beelzebub and I'm still a little uncertain about Level E. I'm just more selective about what I watch than I used to. But I'm definitely watching Wandering Son, which had a wonderful first episode--Pachy
          • puyopop34
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 21, 2011
              Puella Magi Madoka Magica

              A magical girl series from Akiyuki Shinbo and SHAFT featuring character designs by Ume Aoki?!! This sounds cute and wholesome, right? :o

              Ohhh man!!! From the first 3 episodes (ESPECIALLY the 3rd episode), this is going to a direction of deconstructing the magical girl genre in a more grimdark and gruesome matter. Obviously it makes a point how just being a magical girl is not all sparkles and rainbows. It's a rather fascinating watch.

              > I'm finding this season of anime a little uninspiring, at least in part by the fact that my favorite anime of the year, Heartcatch PreCure, is about to end.
              >
              > My manga pile seems to just keep getting bigger and bigger, but my best find of 2010 definitely has to be Ohana Holoholo, a story about an alternative family of a woman, her former lover, her son and the former lover of her son's late father.
              >
              > So, what are you watching and reading to while away the hours this winter?

            • catchperfect
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 21, 2011
                I am watching Hourou Musuko on Crunchyroll and reading the manga by Shimura Takako. I think Fantagraphics has licensed this title so I hope non-Japanese readers will pick it up when it's released.

                Though it's not yuri, I am also reading Vertical's translation of Twin Spica - which is a  great story of a girl who wants to go into space/be an astronaut (but is also about so much more!)

                Cheers,
                G.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 25, 2011
                  > So, what are you watching and reading to while away the hours this winter?

                  Sora no Manimani tankubons when I feel like reading.

                  Of course, I still get Monthly Jump delivered, so I'm keeping up with Hayate x Blade, and some of the other manga in there as well.

                  Watching-wise, I'm still in the "trial" period, so I'm watching more now than I'll probably end up watching.

                  I like Madoka Magica, probably because it's a little disturbing. "Chidamari Sketch" indeed.

                  I also like Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? If only for the idea of the protagonist becoming a Zombie "Masou Shojou," and the awesome ending of episode 1. (No, I did not misspell Masou Shojou.) It's formulaic, but it's also funny. And I'm willing to overlook formula for the funny.

                  I'm also watching Yumekui Merry. I already know where it's going, and I'm okay with that. It's a little bit monster-of-the-week-ish now, but it should get more arc-y soon. I love Merry's "Donut-lust" face. I also like the idea of fighting demons who try to invade your dreams.

                  I want to watch Kimi ni Todoke, but it's going into a long arc that makes my teeth ache. It's like those Heinz Ketchup "Anticipation" commercials from Ye Olden Days that made me want to just shove a wooden spoon handle into the ketchup bottle.

                  I get that same irritated feeling watching this show now. I'll probably just wait until the season is over and watch it all in one sitting, if I watch it.

                  Still watching Gosick. Still enjoying it. I like how everything has an explanation. Observation and situational awareness both rock. Victorique is a great character. Kujo is bland, but he's supposed to be, because he's a light novel protagonist.

                  Can't wait for A Channel to come this April.
                • Lyn
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 28, 2011
                    I'm actually watching a little anime along with my manga-reading this season. "Vampire Knight" is what I'm working my way through right now.

                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "sarcastic_weasel" <sarcastic_weasel@...> wrote:

                    > > So, what are you watching and reading to while away the hours this winter?
                    >
                    > Sora no Manimani tankubons when I feel like reading.
                    >
                    > Of course, I still get Monthly Jump delivered, so I'm keeping up with Hayate x Blade, and some of the other manga in there as well.
                    >
                    > Watching-wise, I'm still in the "trial" period, so I'm watching more now than I'll probably end up watching.
                    >
                    > I like Madoka Magica, probably because it's a little disturbing. "Chidamari Sketch" indeed.
                    >
                    > I also like Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? If only for the idea of the protagonist becoming a Zombie "Masou Shojou," and the awesome ending of episode 1. (No, I did not misspell Masou Shojou.) It's formulaic, but it's also funny. And I'm willing to overlook formula for the funny.
                    >
                    > I'm also watching Yumekui Merry. I already know where it's going, and I'm okay with that. It's a little bit monster-of-the-week-ish now, but it should get more arc-y soon. I love Merry's "Donut-lust" face. I also like the idea of fighting demons who try to invade your dreams.
                    >
                    > I want to watch Kimi ni Todoke, but it's going into a long arc that makes my teeth ache. It's like those Heinz Ketchup "Anticipation" commercials from Ye Olden Days that made me want to just shove a wooden spoon handle into the ketchup bottle.
                    >
                    > I get that same irritated feeling watching this show now. I'll probably just wait until the season is over and watch it all in one sitting, if I watch it.
                    >
                    > Still watching Gosick. Still enjoying it. I like how everything has an explanation. Observation and situational awareness both rock. Victorique is a great character. Kujo is bland, but he's supposed to be, because he's a light novel protagonist.
                    >
                    > Can't wait for A Channel to come this April.

                  • Adam Jones
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 29, 2011
                      I'm only really watching Hourou Musuko this season, but so far it's
                      proving to be utterly delightful. (I really wish somebody would see
                      their way clear to licensing Shimura Takako's work in English.)

                      Due to the lack of interesting current shows, I'm also watching
                      Princess Tutu for the first time, which is great fun. Needless to say,
                      watching Black Swan in the cinema whilst halfway through Tutu was a
                      strange experience; I spent an entire evening waiting for Natalie
                      Portman to turn into a duck. :)
                      .oO("i do not mean that malicly but with humor." )
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 29, 2011
                        The problem with licensing Aoi Hana is *still* the lack of a critical mass for audience. If Fantagraphics does well with Wandering Son, there's certainly a better chance that Aoi Hana could get picked up. Fantagraphics, at least, doesn't expect crazy sales, since it is an art-house shop. But for a company that needs to sell about 4000 copies to break even, Aoi Hana is just on the risky side. If Wandering Son gets some traction, then Aoi Hana might have the power to do well.

                        Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu.blogspot.com"

                        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: adam@...
                        > Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:37:46 +0000
                        > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: The seasonal - SO, what are we reading/watching thread?
                        >
                        > I'm only really watching Hourou Musuko this season, but so far it's
                        > proving to be utterly delightful. (I really wish somebody would see
                        > their way clear to licensing Shimura Takako's work in English.)
                        >
                        > Due to the lack of interesting current shows, I'm also watching
                        > Princess Tutu for the first time, which is great fun. Needless to say,
                        > watching Black Swan in the cinema whilst halfway through Tutu was a
                        > strange experience; I spent an entire evening waiting for Natalie
                        > Portman to turn into a duck. :)
                        > --
                        > Adam Jones (adam@...)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
                        > .oO("i do not mean that malicly but with humor." )

                        > <*> Your email settings:
                        > Individual Email | Traditional
                        >
                        > <*> To change settings online go to:
                        > (Yahoo! ID required)
                        >
                        > <*> To change settings via email:
                        > Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        > Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Adam Jones
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 29, 2011
                          On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 10:04:27 -0500, Erica Friedman
                          <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

                          > The problem with licensing Aoi Hana is *still* the lack of a critical
                          > mass for audience. If Fantagraphics does well with Wandering Son,
                          > there's certainly a better chance that Aoi Hana could get picked up.

                          I hadn't realised that someone had picked up the manga. So, that's
                          just gone on my pre-order list - thanks. :)
                          .oO("If I ever grow a penis, I'll keep that in mind." )