RE: [Yuricon] question on the nonexistant youth bill

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2011
      I've talked about this at Okazu a bit and also at ANN - and a lot on Twitter.

      First of all, Bill 156 is not the non-existent youth bill, which was defeated last June. For a complete rundown of what this bill says and what the intent was, the best place to read about it is on Dan Kanemitsu's blog - he has been very active in the manga and doujinshi community and is more intimate with the terms of the Bill than anyone else I know of:
      http://dankanemitsu.wordpress.com/2010/11/24/bill-156s-total-scope/

      Read that, then come back to finish this reply. :-)

      I have had some discussions with Dan and also with Roland Kelts who is a journalist that writes about "Cool Japan" and the use of manga and anime as an export of Japanese culture.

      Here's the very simplified version of our conversations. The current governor of Tokyo, Ishihara Shintarou has recently gone on record making very openly offensive and unpleasant comments about the LGBT community in Japan, Western culture and women who do not have children. Anyone with a brain cell who sees these comments and knows the background of the Bill and how it is planning on being enforced can see that Ishihara is actively waging a war against women, children and LGBTQ people through this bill.

      It *will* be used to target BL and GL manga, manga for girls and manga for women. It will, because the OYAPS office that is supposed to enforce has said that they will look at these things, specifically.

      ***

      I have an unsupported theory that I will share. This is very much *my opinion* and is therefore not being spoken as the head of Yuricon or the owner of this group, it's just a personal opinion. People are free to criticize or disagree with it.

      In the 20th century, as a result of WWII, Japan had a modern society dumped wholly onto it. The new constitution was not gained, it was enforced. Japanese people in the 20th century have never had to *fight* for the right to do anything. This Bill is the first time any group of people is being targeted openly by the government to stop doing something that was 1) legal and 2) not overtly dangerous (like gassing the subways.) That is my theory.

      Here is what has happened.

      The manga and doujinshi communities have begun to fight. The big anime/manga companies have pulled out of the Tokyo Anime Fair and are holding their own, just outside Tokyo (to make it easier for people who made travel plans already) and the doujinshi makers published a number of parody doujinshi during Comiket. Parody is an effective tool everywhere in the world.

      Kodansha's Morning International Comic Contest posted comments on Twitter in English as well as Japanese that they are moving ahead with the contest as if no Bill 156 exists - they exhort submitters to "draw good manga and you will win."

      The companies are fighting, the fans (who are mostly supportive of the TAF boycott and will probably go the Anime Contents Fair in Chiba instead) are fighting, the mangaka are fighting.

      This Bill is so off the wall that the Prime Minister of the country has assigned a group to look at it and see if it can be overturned on a national level.

      I asked Dan what foreigners could do to show their support and he said this - let mangaka know. Write the artists and the companies and let them know that you buy their books and support them. There is strength in the gaze from outside in Japan. If the world says, "we're watching and we support you" that means something.

      To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      From: endlessdreamer13@...
      Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 21:30:59 -0800
      Subject: [Yuricon] question on the nonexistant youth bill

      What do you think the effect of this bill will be on the production of yuri?

    • Ozan Türkyılmaz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2011
        2011/1/8 Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...>

        > I have an unsupported theory that I will share. This is very much *my opinion* and is therefore not being
        > spoken as the head of Yuricon or the owner of this group, it's just a personal opinion. People are free to
        > criticize or disagree with it.

        Correct term should be hypothesis. I find your hypothesis logical. It
        may indeed true. Let's see what databases
        says about it.

        --
        Ozan, BSc, BEng