Eiki & Tsuda, Hitchens and Amis...

  • Wunderlampe
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 26, 2010
      This was prompted by the recent comments on Eiki Eiki and Mikyo Tsuda. Given what I've read, I think that they really aren't lovers, but that they are the kind of friend who just 'clicks' on a profound level may something I've noticed about their manga: their ability to inject a genuine, human warmth into some of the relationships they write (an example par excellence, would be the main one in _Princess princess_). That reminded me rather strongly of the Hitch discussing his relationship with Martin Amis.

      Which reminded me of something that the Hitch wrote about his own experiences at boarding school: that the key point about homosexuality is that it's not just a form of sexuality, it's a form of love. That's seems obvious when it's stated, but I think that's what's missing in a lot of mediocre yuri (and, goodness knows, much yaoi and het stuff out there) - that inability to express the attraction as an expression of something deeper, and being unable to put a genuine human warmth in it (conversely, one of my favorites has to be the Eiki/Tsuda collaboration "First Kiss").

      I think that's probably where I have certain significant differences with some people here, in that, while I value finding a story with true warmth in't, if I can't have that I prefer something with brilliant cruelty and madness over the trite and the tawdry (currently rereading "Ludwig Kakumei" which sets the a new record for dyfunctional relationships, even by Kaori Yuki standards...)

      Anyway, your thoughts?
    • Ellen Kuhfeld

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 26, 2010
          I pretty much agree with you on all counts.

          One of the reasons I adore Gunjo so much is precisely because I think its sublime cruelty is better than almost all the cute, empty girl-meets-girl stuff I read.

          As for Eiki and Zaoh, I think they are much like Rica Takashima and I - just an instantly clicking pair of very good friends whose brains work in eerily similar directions.

          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: thirohk@...
          > Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 19:52:48 +0000
          > Subject: [Yuricon] Eiki & Tsuda, Hitchens and Amis...
          >
          > This was prompted by the recent comments on Eiki Eiki and Mikyo Tsuda. Given what I've read, I think that they really aren't lovers, but that they are the kind of friend who just 'clicks' on a profound level may something I've noticed about their manga: their ability to inject a genuine, human warmth into some of the relationships they write (an example par excellence, would be the main one in _Princess princess_). That reminded me rather strongly of the Hitch discussing his relationship with Martin Amis.
          >
          > Which reminded me of something that the Hitch wrote about his own experiences at boarding school: that the key point about homosexuality is that it's not just a form of sexuality, it's a form of love. That's seems obvious when it's stated, but I think that's what's missing in a lot of mediocre yuri (and, goodness knows, much yaoi and het stuff out there) - that inability to express the attraction as an expression of something deeper, and being unable to put a genuine human warmth in it (conversely, one of my favorites has to be the Eiki/Tsuda collaboration "First Kiss").
          >
          > I think that's probably where I have certain significant differences with some people here, in that, while I value finding a story with true warmth in't, if I can't have that I prefer something with brilliant cruelty and madness over the trite and the tawdry (currently rereading "Ludwig Kakumei" which sets the a new record for dyfunctional relationships, even by Kaori Yuki standards...)
          >
          > Anyway, your thoughts?

          > <*> Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          > Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
          > Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Wunderlampe
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 27, 2010

            > I pretty much agree with you on all counts.
            >

            > One of the reasons I adore Gunjo so much is precisely because I think its sublime cruelty is better than almost all the cute, empty girl-meets-girl stuff I read.

            Mind if I ask if there's been any sign of Gunjo to be translated into English? Haven't seen anything on Amazon.

            And an exit question: You know how one can know something vaguely, but then you encounter the words that pull it into full conceptual existence - in my case, the Hitch's comment from before? Is there any technical term for that?

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 31, 2010
              > Mind if I ask if there's been any sign of Gunjo to be translated into English? Haven't seen anything on Amazon.

              If any company announces a license, I'll be sure to let you know. :-)

              > And an exit question: You know how one can know something vaguely, but then you encounter the words that pull it into full conceptual existence - in my case, the Hitch's comment from before? Is there any technical term for that?

              Probably. :-) We humans always make words for things. But off the top of my head, I don't know it, sorry.