Re: Recommendations

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2010
      I'd like to remind everyone that Yuricon does not support or condone scanlations. If you want to read manga, please buy manga. There is a manga artist who has put many hours of her life into drawing that - you downloading a scanlation gives nothing at all back.

    • animelovermd@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 6, 2010
        On the subject of recommendations, does anyone know any good yuri mangas that are like strawberry panic, the last uniform and first love sisters. That have been legally dubbed to english and are purchaseable?

        EricaF <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

        >I'd like to remind everyone that Yuricon does not support or condone scanlations. If you want to read manga, please buy manga. There is a manga artist who has put many hours of her life into drawing that - you downloading a scanlation gives nothing at all back.
        >

        >--- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Mike <mparise58@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> If you're one for drama thats drawn out but is fun, funny and does have a happy ending, Girl Friends is a series, its sort of long, 35 chapters, but I like it. My favorite author is the girl who did this, Morinaga Milk. You can get it from www.lililicious.net i think or www.solelo.com/blog

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2010
          Oh I know, I totally agree. However I'm not in Japan, I'm here in Georgia. Theres no mass quantities of yuri manga in english here. I'd gladly buy tons, and theres a lot that are in japanese that I'd also buy if i could, but can't find em.

          I'd like to remind everyone that Yuricon does not support or condone scanlations. If you want to read manga, please buy manga. There is a manga artist who has put many hours of her life into drawing that - you downloading a scanlation gives nothing at all back.

          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Mike <mparise58@...> wrote:

          > If you're one for drama thats drawn out but is fun, funny and does have a happy ending, Girl Friends is a series, its sort of long, 35 chapters, but I like it. My favorite author is the girl who did this, Morinaga Milk. You can get it from www.lililicious.net i think or www.solelo.com/blog

        • Ozan Türkyılmaz
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 8, 2010
            2010/12/7 Mike <mparise58@...>

            > Oh I know, I totally agree. However I'm not in Japan, I'm here in Georgia. Theres no mass quantities of yuri manga in english here. I'd gladly buy tons, and theres a lot that are in japanese that I'd also buy if i could, but can't find em.

            I'm in smae condution. STay away from Amazon (They rip off
            international costumers in all ways possible. But Domestic costumers
            sounlde be okay), and try to talk local bookstores to import manga for
            you. They would but you never know.

            By the way, supporting or condoning criminal acts tent to be criminal
            act itself.

            --
            Ozan, BSc, BEng
          • Brandi Allen
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 8, 2010
              so buying online is not the way to go? if so then i dont know where to get any, the storess in my city dont have any, only strawberry panic. lol

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 8, 2010
                Hi Brandi -

                Opinions will always be different about things, but I know I find buying online to be very convenient. (I can't fly to Japan every other month to get books, as much as I'd love to.)

                Ozan was commenting that shipping overseas is very expensive. I can attest as a seller that it unfortunately is quite expensive to ship things overseas. I no longer have any option to ship by land or boat - only by airmail - to any other country. Sadly, that brings up the price for the consumer.)

                When I buy from any Japanese website, I tend to hold my orders until I am buying a lot of items - 20 or more. Shipping doesn't go down as a total, but it does go down per item. If I buy 10 items from Amazon JP, the shipping per item might be as high as $10, if I buy 20 items, it might be $4/item. It's true that the cost itself goes up, but the per item shipping definitely drops.

                Other websites like BK1 still, I believe, offer a variety of shipping speed/costs. In general, the slower the shipping, the cheaper it is. Because of the time difference between Japan and my home, I have literally bought things one night and they have arrived the next morning! It's pretty funny when that happens.

                If you are buying from a online site within your own country, the shipping is much less likely to be extremely expensive, another thing Ozan mentioned.

                If you live somewhere that you can't get good Yuri, then yes, online shopping is a great way to get good stuff to read. Also going to local conventions - you can often find deals on manga there, too.

                I hope that helps!