RE: [Yuricon] Re: Slight OT:writing on japanese lesbians and how its still difficult for them

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 20, 2010
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: shrynakesavan@...
      > Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 06:57:02 +0000
      > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Slight OT:writing on japanese lesbians and how its still difficult for them
      >
      > This is not juss the case with Japan.. , this is the case with all the asian countries...

      And, it's not just the case in Asia. There's a lot of pressure by family and society almost everywhere to conform to "normal." That's why I favor stories like "Fu-Fu" over something like "Mai Hime" when the former depicts a couple just being a couple (i.e., "normal") versus lesbian desire driving someone mad.

      "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldshaking.net The Fanfic Revolution - fanficrevolution.blogspot.com

    • nanatsusaya_mitamanotsurugi
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 21, 2010
        Yes, thass true everywhere... its just that as an asian i wish the legal system in countries here would take some sort of initiative to empower such people legally and provide protection... not that the battle in the west has been easy or is over... but we need secular legal system more than ever...

        > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > > From: shrynakesavan@...
        > > Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 06:57:02 +0000
        > > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Slight OT:writing on japanese lesbians and how its still difficult for them
        > >
        > > This is not juss the case with Japan.. , this is the case with all the asian countries...
        > >

        > And, it's not just the case in Asia. There's a lot of pressure by family and society almost everywhere to conform to "normal." That's why I favor stories like "Fu-Fu" over something like "Mai Hime" when the former depicts a couple just being a couple (i.e., "normal") versus lesbian desire driving someone mad.

        > http://www.yuricon.org

      • Ellen Kuhfeld
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 21, 2010
          Message
          There will always and everywhere  be pressure to conform to "normal". We can only push to have the GLBT spectrum accepted as normal.. Asia does have some spots of acceptance: in Thailand, the katoey (transgendered) seem normal.

          Ellen

        • yoni-1@empathosnation.org
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 22, 2010

            Confucianism not withstanding, Japan has one advantage in that homophobia hasn't been as religiously enforced as strongly as in the West.  In the Meiji Reforms, sodomy laws lasted little more than a couple of years before being repealed--and in the mid 1800's.  It's not that homophobia is not there, it's just that the gut reactions aren't as strong, and Japan may surprise us with a smoother transition than our poor unregenerate Westerners.  Recent legislation made gay marriage legal as long as one of the partners comes from a country that has legalized it.  It's a brilliant first step that even the USA is unwilling to take.

            Lesbians in Japan need to become more visible.  From personal experience I can tell you that it's a gut wrenching experience and a very difficult thing to do, especially when you are not raised to put yourself forward.  The loss of friends, the temporary loss of face, the possible loss of family are huge hurdles to leap and time does not heal all wounds, but if change is to be made there is no other choice.

            At least, I'm a little more hopeful for Japan than I am for the West.  The game is still being played, and we can always hope for positive results.

            中町茶流子
            Nakamachi Charuko