[Off-topic] A Drunken Dream and Other Stories by Moto Hagio

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 24, 2010
      Just finished "A Drunken Dream an Other Stories" (http://amzn.to/bAULB2) and I really have to say, this might be the most important manga published to date. Not only does it have some magnificent work by a master of the craft, it's got some pretty candid insights into the mind of that master. And how often can you say you want to HUG a member of the "Magnificent 49ers?" (The nickname for the women who were largely responsible for the creation of shoujo, josei and BL as we know it.)

      I'll probably be posting a review of the book on Manga Curmudgeon, eventually, but before I do, I just wanted to say that if you buy 1 non-Yuri manga in 2010, it really ought to be this one. I'll be buying two copies - one for me, and one for my library. :-)

    • Katherine
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 24, 2010
        I couldn't agree more. "A Drunken Dream" is fantastic, and one of the new gems of my collection. I'm giving a copy to my local library as well. Looking forward to reading your review of it!

        > Just finished "A Drunken Dream an Other Stories" (http://amzn.to/bAULB2) and I really have to say, this might be the most important manga published to date. Not only does it have some magnificent work by a master of the craft, it's got some pretty candid insights into the mind of that master. And how often can you say you want to HUG a member of the "Magnificent 49ers?" (The nickname for the women who were largely responsible for the creation of shoujo, josei and BL as we know it.)
        >
        > I'll probably be posting a review of the book on Manga Curmudgeon, eventually, but before I do, I just wanted to say that if you buy 1 non-Yuri manga in 2010, it really ought to be this one. I'll be buying two copies - one for me, and one for my library. :-)

      • catchperfect
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 24, 2010
          I am so glad Fantagraphics released A Drunken Dream -- and I hope there's more Moto Hagio or other 49'ers work in store in the future. I have a copy of it that includes a signed bookplate and this is the holiday gift I am giving to everyone on my list. And now that you have mentioned a copy for your local library, I will also donate a copy to my local library, too. Thanks for the suggestion!

          Grace

          I couldn't agree more. "A Drunken Dream" is fantastic, and one of the new gems of my collection. I'm giving a copy to my local library as well. Looking forward to reading your review of it!

          > Just finished "A Drunken Dream an Other Stories" (http://amzn.to/bAULB2) and I really have to say, this might be the most important manga published to date. Not only does it have some magnificent work by a master of the craft, it's got some pretty candid insights into the mind of that master. And how often can you say you want to HUG a member of the "Magnificent 49ers?" (The nickname for the women who were largely responsible for the creation of shoujo, josei and BL as we know it.)
          >
          > I'll probably be posting a review of the book on Manga Curmudgeon, eventually, but before I do, I just wanted to say that if you buy 1 non-Yuri manga in 2010, it really ought to be this one. I'll be buying two copies - one for me, and one for my library. :-)

        • Pachy
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 24, 2010
            Ordered my copy the moment I read the review on ANN, and just got it in the mail today. Reading these posts makes me looking forward to reading it more!--Pachy

            > Just finished "A Drunken Dream an Other Stories" (http://amzn.to/bAULB2) and I really have to say, this might be the most important manga published to date. Not only does it have some magnificent work by a master of the craft, it's got some pretty candid insights into the mind of that master. And how often can you say you want to HUG a member of the "Magnificent 49ers?" (The nickname for the women who were largely responsible for the creation of shoujo, josei and BL as we know it.)
            >
            > I'll probably be posting a review of the book on Manga Curmudgeon, eventually, but before I do, I just wanted to say that if you buy 1 non-Yuri manga in 2010, it really ought to be this one. I'll be buying two copies - one for me, and one for my library. :-)

          • Lyn
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 28, 2010
              What's the Magnificent 49'ers? Were there a group of women manga-ka that began doing comics in 1949, or what?

              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, catchperfect <catchperfect@...> wrote:

              > I am so glad Fantagraphics released A Drunken Dream -- and I hope there's more Moto Hagio or other 49'ers work in store in the future. I have a copy of it that includes a signed bookplate and this is the holiday gift I am giving to everyone on my list. And now that you have mentioned a copy for your local library, I will also donate a copy to my local library, too. Thanks for the suggestion!
              >
              > Grace

            • catchperfect
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 28, 2010
                The Magnificent 49'ers are a group of female mangaka in Japan that were more or less born around 1949 - many were close friends and shared living quarters while working on their manga. They contributed heavily to shojou manga and I would say revolutionized manga as we know it. In addition to Hagio-sensei, there are quite a number of 49'ers including Takemiya Keiko, Ikeda Riyoko and more...they also created works that were (are!) cutting edge then and now.

                Matt Thorn has a wonderful essay about shojou manga (he has lots of great stuff) that you might enjoy reading: http://www.matt-thorn.com/shoujo_manga/japan_quarterly/index.php

                As the manga are in Japanese, a lot of the 49'ers work are not translated into English or other languages - though you may find much more selections in Spanish and French, I believe.

                Grace

                What's the Magnificent 49'ers? Were there a group of women manga-ka that began doing comics in 1949, or what?

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 28, 2010
                  Lyn -

                  They were women who were influential in the formational years of "shoujo" (girls') manga. Moto Hagio is one of them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_24_Group