Re: [Yuricon] Re: yuri manga archive?

  • catchperfect
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2010
      Thanks for the suggestion to check WorldCat. In a very quick search, I'm disappointed though unsurprised at how little yuri titles are collected in a public library system - I did find some in academic libraries but I think Japanese/Asian Studies departments request those? And I the circulation for..say "First Love Sisters" or "Kashimashi" could never compete with One Piece or any number of popular titles out there. I know libraries have limited budget to buy materials so it would make sense to buy what's hot or in demand. In my head, I think yuri is awesome and everyone would want to read it and collect some in a precious archive for later generations to savor. But after reading some responses here, Erica's posts as well as the blogosphere on manga and graphic novels making it onto library shelves, there's still a lot to be done with respect to getting people interested as well as some librarians who may or may not know a lot about comics.

      perhaps it's starting out as Erica has with Morris County Library...like if I were to donate a bunch of yuri titles I no longer read to my library and see if it would take, like one step at a time..

      Grace
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2010
        Message
        Oh, yes. I don't read as much manga as Erica; but when I'm through, I give them to Quatrefoil Library (the MplStpl GLBT library). They don't much care for anime, though - apparently nobody takes it out. It's one way to keep your house from being overrun with wood pulp.

        Ellen

        --
        "How much sand will the hand hold?" ~Jessica, mother of Muad'Dib

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 7, 2010
          There's not that many Yuri titles compared with any other genre, so it's probably good to manage your expectations. :-)

          One Piece has, by itself, probably more volumes than there are "Yuri" titles in English.

          Start local, definitely.

          To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          From: catchperfect@...
          Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:31:48 -0700