RE: [Yuricon] yuri manga archive?

  • catchperfect
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3, 2010
      Ah, I kinda thought it would be you and/or Erin that would have a substantial collection of Yuri. Between you two, you seem to have everything Yuri (I'm jealous)!

      Wishful thinking on my part to want a Yuri collection in a museum or library...I forgot to consider space issues. Maybe one day there could be a digital archive where people could go online to look at Yuri materials.

      Anyway, it'll be one lucky institution to get your Yuri collection one day, if you ask me. (*-*)

      Thanks for your reply!
      Grace

      From: catchperfect@ yahoo.com
      Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:38:50 -0700
      Subject: [Yuricon] yuri manga archive?

      hello yuri manga fans,

      i thought to pose this question here but maybe i should ask a reference librarian? i am aware there are various manga collections and archives held in japan as well as some in the united states, like oregon state or ohio state's cartoon library. but i am interested to know if there are holdings just for yuri manga -- and if not, why not? i am also interested in cataloging yuri manga in some fashion...it' s a project i'm interested in tackling if no one else is.

      anyway, i would love to know your thoughts and suggestions on any yuri manga archives.
      thanks!

      grace
      http://www.twitter. com/hoodedzippy

    • Lyn
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
        I don't think the academic world has quite caught on to anime and manga yet, let alone yuri/yaoi manga/anime. That's probably why there's not a special collection of it in any library anywhere (at least that anybody knows about).

        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, catchperfect <catchperfect@...> wrote:

        > Ah, I kinda thought it would be you and/or Erin that would have a substantial collection of Yuri. Between you two, you seem to have everything Yuri (I'm jealous)!
        >
        > Wishful thinking on my part to want a Yuri collection in a museum or library...I forgot to consider space issues. Maybe one day there could be a digital archive where people could go online to look at Yuri materials.
        >
        > Anyway, it'll be one lucky institution to get your Yuri collection one day, if you ask me. (*-*)
        >
        > Thanks for your reply!
        > Grace

      • Jo Wagner
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
          I'm one of two graphic novel catalogers at the University of Michigan and I can tell we do indeed purchase a great number of manga, both in English and in Japanese.  In terms of special collections, we don't collect a great deal, but I know I've found a lot of little-known graphic novels, including Yuri Monogatari 1 (totally out of print, actual value unknown) at Michigan State University.  Have you searched for specific titles on World Cat?  I think you'd be surprised at what you'd find.

          ~Rei

          --
          "How much sand will the hand hold?" ~Jessica, mother of Muad'Dib
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
            The Morris County Free Public Library has a very large and varied collection of manga - including BL and GL titles, series for kids and adults.

            I donate almost all the English manga I receive for reviewing to the library and, as a result, their collection grows even when the budgets have been cut. As a result, I'm buying a bit more widely, to ensure that their collection expands.

            Librarians - even academic librarians - have been on the forefront of GN collecting in America.

            No, there is no complete archive" at this point. It would be like asking for a "complete archive" of fiction. The Library of Congress is now well behind in cataloging because despite the fact that everyone knows books are dead, people are publishing more than ever before.

            A catalog of Yuri was done for the Yuricon 2007 event. It wasn't a real catalog, because I am not a cataloger. At the time, there were well over a thousand items. Now, it's probably close to 2000 and I'm still not a cataloger. :-)

            To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            From: senbei@...
            Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:18:31 -0400
            Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: yuri manga archive?

            I'm one of two graphic novel catalogers at the University of Michigan and I can tell we do indeed purchase a great number of manga, both in English and in Japanese.  In terms of special collections, we don't collect a great deal, but I know I've found a lot of little-known graphic novels, including Yuri Monogatari 1 (totally out of print, actual value unknown) at Michigan State University.  Have you searched for specific titles on World Cat?  I think you'd be surprised at what you'd find.

            ~Rei

            On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 16:00, Lyn <lynmarenjensen@...> wrote:

            I don't think the academic world has quite caught on to anime and manga yet, let alone yuri/yaoi manga/anime. That's probably why there's not a special collection of it in any library anywhere (at least that anybody knows about).

            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, catchperfect <catchperfect@...> wrote:

            > Ah, I kinda thought it would be you and/or Erin that would have a substantial collection of Yuri. Between you two, you seem to have everything Yuri (I'm jealous)!
            >
            > Wishful thinking on my part to want a Yuri collection in a museum or library...I forgot to consider space issues. Maybe one day there could be a digital archive where people could go online to look at Yuri materials.
            >
            > Anyway, it'll be one lucky institution to get your Yuri collection one day, if you ask me. (*-*)
            >
            > Thanks for your reply!
            > Grace

          • Nick Perez
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
              My local bookstore has a bunch of manga and by turn a bunch of yaoi/yuri but they're old titles that are probably just good for re-reading or saying that you actually have a book from a certain series

              From: senbei@gmail. com
              Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:18:31 -0400

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7, 2010
                Thanks for the suggestion to check WorldCat. In a very quick search, I'm disappointed though unsurprised at how little yuri titles are collected in a public library system - I did find some in academic libraries but I think Japanese/Asian Studies departments request those? And I the circulation for..say "First Love Sisters" or "Kashimashi" could never compete with One Piece or any number of popular titles out there. I know libraries have limited budget to buy materials so it would make sense to buy what's hot or in demand. In my head, I think yuri is awesome and everyone would want to read it and collect some in a precious archive for later generations to savor. But after reading some responses here, Erica's posts as well as the blogosphere on manga and graphic novels making it onto library shelves, there's still a lot to be done with respect to getting people interested as well as some librarians who may or may not know a lot about comics.

                perhaps it's starting out as Erica has with Morris County Library...like if I were to donate a bunch of yuri titles I no longer read to my library and see if it would take, like one step at a time..

                Grace
                I'm one of two graphic novel catalogers at the University of Michigan and I can tell we do indeed purchase a great number of manga, both in English and in Japanese.  In terms of special collections, we don't collect a great deal, but I know I've found a lot of little-known graphic novels, including Yuri Monogatari 1 (totally out of print, actual value unknown) at Michigan State University.  Have you searched for specific titles on World Cat?  I think you'd be surprised at what you'd find.

                ~Rei

                On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 16:00, Lyn <lynmarenjensen@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                I don't think the academic world has quite caught on to anime and manga yet, let alone yuri/yaoi manga/anime. That's probably why there's not a special collection of it in any library anywhere (at least that anybody knows about).

                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups .com, catchperfect <catchperfect@ ...> wrote:

                > Ah, I kinda thought it would be you and/or Erin that would have a substantial collection of Yuri. Between you two, you seem to have everything Yuri (I'm jealous)!
                >
                > Wishful thinking on my part to want a Yuri collection in a museum or library...I forgot to consider space issues. Maybe one day there could be a digital archive where people could go online to look at Yuri materials.
                >
                > Anyway, it'll be one lucky institution to get your Yuri collection one day, if you ask me. (*-*)
                >
                > Thanks for your reply!
                > Grace

              • Ellen Kuhfeld
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 7, 2010
                  Message
                  Oh, yes. I don't read as much manga as Erica; but when I'm through, I give them to Quatrefoil Library (the MplStpl GLBT library). They don't much care for anime, though - apparently nobody takes it out. It's one way to keep your house from being overrun with wood pulp.

                  Ellen

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 7, 2010
                    There's not that many Yuri titles compared with any other genre, so it's probably good to manage your expectations. :-)

                    One Piece has, by itself, probably more volumes than there are "Yuri" titles in English.

                    Start local, definitely.

                    To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                    From: catchperfect@...
                    Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:31:48 -0700