Which series really needs Yuri?

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 8, 2010
      I'm sitting here in front of a pile of about two dozen manga, and there's some really obvious trends. No one who knows me will be surprised at too many of the titles.

      But I can't help but think that Black Lagoon really needs Yuri. I mean, look how much better Gunsmith Cats Burst became when Sonoda put the Yuri in! :-) Balalaika needs a "companion." Someone mute, preferably.

      I was watching Shin Koihime Musou Tairan (on Crunchyroll, for free, legit!) and while it still it crap, once they stuck some Yuri back into it, it's suddenly less intolerable. :-)

      So - today's discussion - what series really need Yuri? Manga, anime, movie, book, whatever. (Let's face it, Charlie's Angels with Yuri would have been *so* much better!)

    • Nick Perez
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 8, 2010

        Aria could use some yuri.  I mean c'mon it's practically a female based cast

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 8, 2010
          Message
          Aria doesn't need yuri - people already see yuri there. That sucks 'em in to watching a really good show.

          Ellen

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 8, 2010
            Really needs Yuri? Hmmm...I don't know about really, but I think that One Piece would be a load funnier if they chucked some Yuri in. But then, there's no romance in there at all, so it might change the atmosphere a tad.

            Eh, Claymore? No. Just no.

            I completely agree that Black Lagoon could use some Yuri though. Revy and Eda, more than just vitriolic buddies...

            > I'm sitting here in front of a pile of about two dozen manga, and there's some really obvious trends. No one who knows me will be surprised at too many of the titles.
            >
            > But I can't help but think that Black Lagoon really needs Yuri. I mean, look how much better Gunsmith Cats Burst became when Sonoda put the Yuri in! :-) Balalaika needs a "companion." Someone mute, preferably.
            >
            > I was watching Shin Koihime Musou Tairan (on Crunchyroll, for free, legit!) and while it still it crap, once they stuck some Yuri back into it, it's suddenly less intolerable. :-)
            >
            > So - today's discussion - what series really need Yuri? Manga, anime, movie, book, whatever. (Let's face it, Charlie's Angels with Yuri would have been *so* much better!)

          • mara_papimer
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 8, 2010
              Kino's Journey

              Considering all the horrible things that happened to Kino to make her decide to travel across her world and often finding really disturbing things she deserves a equally cool love interest to travel with.

              Maybe a really honest type who's hard work is obvious, for example Beatrice Waltrud von Kircheisen from Dies Irae.

              http://www.light.gr.jp/light/products/diesirae2007/morgendammerung/beatrice.htm

              She could ride a cute talking vespa to go with Kino's bike. Then if they travel together we can have both Yuri and mechanical BL!
            • ryogahibiki99
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 8, 2010
                Urusei Yatsura. I have this idea in my head of Ryuunosuke wrestling with reconciling her constant struggle to be "a real woman", and try to be more feminine, and her burning attraction to another girl be it reclusive and naive Asuka, brash and boisterous Benten, or my own favourite for her, the sweet yet short-tempered Shinobu. I'd like it to be played with a bit of a light touch, though...

                Sincerely,

                Robert Kelly
                --
                Vyo wei oh Houm va ray Vyo ei rah Je rhum Brunnen-G

                > I'm sitting here in front of a pile of about two dozen manga, and there's some really obvious trends. No one who knows me will be surprised at too many of the titles.
                >
                > But I can't help but think that Black Lagoon really needs Yuri. I mean, look how much better Gunsmith Cats Burst became when Sonoda put the Yuri in! :-) Balalaika needs a "companion." Someone mute, preferably.
                >
                > I was watching Shin Koihime Musou Tairan (on Crunchyroll, for free, legit!) and while it still it crap, once they stuck some Yuri back into it, it's suddenly less intolerable. :-)
                >
                > So - today's discussion - what series really need Yuri? Manga, anime, movie, book, whatever. (Let's face it, Charlie's Angels with Yuri would have been *so* much better!)

              • Anil Dey
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 8, 2010
                  First, I'll pick Touhou Project which has a huge pretty much entirely female cast. Some of the character pairs have interesting dynamics which would translate well to yuri.

                  I'll also pick Kaleido Star mostly because I'm a Sora/Layla shipper and I think yuri would allow even more of an overtly close connection between the two characters. They'd have to get rid of most of the ship teasing regarding other couples but I didn't like those pairings anyways so it's an improvement for me. ;-)
                • Elwin Coldiron
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 8, 2010
                    I really think Hellsing should have yuri.  If she can get over her hatred of vampires, I'm certain that Integra and Seras would be an excellent couple.

                    (of course, I'm talking about the TV Hellsing.  I think there is some yuri sub-context in the OVA - think of episodes two and four)

                    Blaine

                    "When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my pistol."
                    Stephen W. Hawking

                  • Chalcahuite
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 8, 2010
                      A series on SciFi: Eureka, Deputy Sheriff Jo pings the gaydar hard, but is, for the usual reasons most likely, straight. If she were gay, Erica might like her. She's sarcastic, competent, and looks pretty damn good in her uniform. Downside: no eyepatch and not psychotic.

                      As for anime, Books of Bantorra might have benefited, but it was really good in it's non-sensical way.  As a cop out, Yuri would improve any standard harem series, especially if it subverts the genre. SPLB lead ends the series as it began: alone as all of his harem find meaningful relationship amongst themselves because they can make decisions and express their desires.

                      On Jun 8, 2010, at 9:05 AM, EricaF wrote:

                      I'm sitting here in front of a pile of about two dozen manga, and there's some really obvious trends. No one who knows me will be surprised at too many of the titles.

                      But I can't help but think that Black Lagoon really needs Yuri. I mean, look how much better Gunsmith Cats Burst became when Sonoda put the Yuri in! :-) Balalaika needs a "companion." Someone mute, preferably.

                      Will she call her mute companion "Baby"?

                      -==-

                      Serge

                      "Visually Impressive!" -- Precocious Curmudgeon

                      http://ximatl.blogspot.com

                      http://albikal.blogspot.com

                    • Shane
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 8, 2010
                        I dunno I think Jo could easily be psychotic

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 8, 2010
                          ________________________________
                          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: ximatl@...
                          > Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 20:21:50 -0400
                          > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Which series really needs Yuri?
                          >

                          > A series on SciFi: Eureka, Deputy Sheriff Jo pings the gaydar hard, but is, for the usual reasons most likely, straight. If she were gay, Erica might like her. She's sarcastic, competent, and looks pretty damn good in her uniform. Downside: no eyepatch and not psychotic.
                          Oh well, she was sounding good there for a second. :-)

                          > As for anime, Books of Bantorra might have benefited, but it was really good in it's non-sensical way.

                          Bantorra definitely needed Yuri. I was okay with Hamuts Meseta (...must kill Hamuts Meseta...) being with Matt, but we really needed *someone* gay for her.
                          >  As a cop out, Yuri would improve any standard harem series, especially if it subverts the genre. SPLB lead ends the series as it began: alone as all of his harem find meaningful relationship amongst themselves because they can make decisions and express their desires.
                          Like all of the Sailor Moon fanfic in which the senshi are all paired and Mamoru killed off? lol
                          Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!http://okazu.blogspot.com
                        • Pachy
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 8, 2010
                            >So - today's discussion - what series really need Yuri? Manga, anime, movie, book, whatever. (Let's face it, Charlie's Angels with Yuri would have been *so* much better!)

                            There seemed to be a bit of female intimacy in the second movie, didn't save it from being junky though.

                            Anyway, manga like Life, and anime like Galaxy Angel (even if just for gags), Gunbuster, Princess Nine, Kaleido Star, Tweeny Witches and Pani Poni Dash are the kind of series that don't contain Yuri but one would have assumed otherwise, and it wouldn't have hurt if they did--Pachy
                          • JoSelle Vanderhooft
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 8, 2010
                              My vote is definitely for Tenchi -- in any incarnation. My love for Ryoko/Aeka knows no bounds.

                              (Then again, would we count that Pretty Sammy episode where Ryoko and Aeka kiss as canonical?)

                              - Jo

                              --
                              Author, poet and editor:
                              Latest publication: Sleeping Beauty Indeed: Lesbian Fairy Tales (http://tinyurl.com/sleepingbeautyindeed)

                              For more information visit http://www.joselle-vanderhooft.com, JoSelle's Official Site
                            • Wunderlampe
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 9, 2010
                                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Elwin Coldiron <bigkwell@...> wrote:

                                > I really think Hellsing should have yuri. If she can get over her hatred of vampires, I'm certain that Integra and Seras would be an excellent couple.
                                > (of course, I'm talking about the TV Hellsing. I think there is some yuri sub-context in the OVA - think of episodes two and four)

                                Call that subtext?

                                > Blaine
                                >
                                > "When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my pistol."
                                > Stephen W. Hawking

                                > The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with Hotmail.

                              • Wunderlampe
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 9, 2010
                                  s.

                                  > But I can't help but think that Black Lagoon really needs Yuri. I mean, look how much better Gunsmith Cats Burst became when Sonoda put the Yuri in! :-) Balalaika needs a "companion." Someone mute, preferably.

                                  Well, you know my views on Eda & Revy...

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 9, 2010
                                    > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                                    > From: pachy_boy@...
                                    > Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 00:47:51 +0000
                                    > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Which series really needs Yuri?
                                    >

                                    > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "EricaF" <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                                    > >So - today's discussion - what series really need Yuri? Manga, anime, movie, book, whatever. (Let's face it, Charlie's Angels with Yuri would have been *so* much better!)
                                    >
                                    > There seemed to be a bit of female intimacy in the second movie, didn't save it from being junky though

                                    Age difference - I meant the original TV series. :-) Sabrina was very, very gay.

                                  • Pachy
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 9, 2010

                                      There seemed to be a bit of female intimacy in the second movie, didn't save it from being junky though

                                      > Age difference - I meant the original TV series. :-)

                                      Trust me, I would've figured, but I thought I'd mention it anyway :-)--Pachy
                                    • Elwin Coldiron
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 9, 2010
                                        I'm a good Tenchi fan myself... but you didn't mention the Mihoshi/Kiyone pairing (TV version) or Mihoshi/Noike (OVA).

                                        To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 11, 2010
                                          Bamboo Blade - let's flesh out the Kirino and Saya relationship

                                          Bubble Gum Crisis 2040 - the convenient boyfriends at the end just didn't work

                                          Kanamemo - yeah it was supposed to be yuri, but a show about lolicon and pedophilia isn't. More of Yume and Yuuki
                                        • ElwinC
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 12, 2010
                                            Somehow, 'Ghost Talker's Daydream' comes to mind. I mean, aren't you really surprised that there isn't a yuri vibe between Masaki Saiki and Ai Kunugi?