Re: How to ruin the great classics of literature - anime style

  • Val
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
      Well, I've always been a lover of mythology, be it Chinese, Greek, Egyptian or Norse and everything in between. Admittedly, the original versions were already full of strange things and relationships...

      But after watching Mnemosyne, well, let's just say the term Goddess of Memory now has a rather special illustration in my mind's dictionary. Oh, and angels eating immortals? The story of Zeus swallowing Athena's mother is so much more...er...fascinating now.

      Not to mention my wondering of the true purpose of Yggdrassil in Norse stories. A bored world tree huh?

      > I'm feel kinda silly this morning and was thinking about how anime has, in some cases, completely altered my reading of great literary classics.
      >
      > A friend recently bought "Red Cliffs" - the epic Chinese movie from last year that depicts the climactic battle from "Romance of the Three Kindgdoms" - and I immediately started things like, "I wonder if Guan Yu (Kan'u) has a think for Liu Bei (Ryuubi)?" And this morning, the disease spread, as I pondered the battle/relationship between Guan Yu and Lu Meng (Ryomou.) So, clearly, too many years of Ikkitousen has forever ruined my ability to take the Romance seriously.
      >
      > I can think of any number of classics of literature - by Agatha Christie, Dumas, Lewis Carroll, that have been portrayed in anime. So this morning's question is: How did anime ruin a classic of literature for you? :-)

    • Grisznak
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
        I just read "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" few months ago... Well, watching "Koihime Musou" after this was something totally bizarre. But, Gundam version of the Three Kingdoms is funny too.
        But, returning to your question.... Seems that I have luck, I saw only good adaptations of the classics. "Emma", "Les Miserables", "Little Princess all this stuff made by World Masterpiece Theatre...
        Oh yes, Alice! "Miyuki chan in Wonderland" was... hmm... pretty wicked.
        cheers
        Grisznak

        2010/6/4 Nick Perez <vanezzania@...>

        Kaishaku, the creators of Kannazuki no Miko and Kyoshiro, created a manga series called Kagihime Monogatari - Eikyuu Alice Rondo, that was based off of Alice in Wonderland.  After watching the anime I couldn't think once about the original Alice without fanservice and bunny girls

        Its a shame XP

        I'm feel kinda silly this morning and was thinking about how anime has, in some cases, completely altered my reading of great literary classics.

        A friend recently bought "Red Cliffs" - the epic Chinese movie from last year that depicts the climactic battle from "Romance of the Three Kindgdoms" - and I immediately started things like, "I wonder if Guan Yu (Kan'u) has a think for Liu Bei (Ryuubi)?" And this morning, the disease spread, as I pondered the battle/relationship between Guan Yu and Lu Meng (Ryomou.) So, clearly, too many years of Ikkitousen has forever ruined my ability to take the Romance seriously.

        I can think of any number of classics of literature - by Agatha Christie, Dumas, Lewis Carroll, that have been portrayed in anime. So this morning's question is: How did anime ruin a classic of literature for you? :-)

      • mara_papimer
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
          I shall raise the stakes here to reading the classic altering my expectations of the anime.

          In my case having read 'The Count of Monte Cristo' made me fair too optimistic about the ending of the anime 'Gankutsuou'. So I was not at all prepared for the very different final resolve of Edmond.

          (and also the very different fate of Eugénie Danglars, but that was less shocking.)

          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Val" <szeweii@...> wrote:

          > But after watching Mnemosyne, well, let's just say the term Goddess of Memory now has a rather special illustration in my mind's dictionary. Oh, and angels eating immortals? The story of Zeus swallowing Athena's mother is so much more...er...fascinating now.
          > >
          > > I'm feel kinda silly this morning and was thinking about how anime has, in some cases, completely altered my reading of great literary classics.
          > >

          > > I can think of any number of classics of literature - by Agatha Christie, Dumas, Lewis Carroll, that have been portrayed in anime. So this morning's question is: How did anime ruin a classic of literature for you? :-)
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > >
          > > Erica

        • Zovistograt
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
            Miyuki-chan in Wonderland.

            I think it's self-explanatory for anybody who has had the misfortune of viewing this.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Zovistograt <zovistograt@...> wrote:

              > Miyuki-chan in Wonderland.
              >
              > I think it's self-explanatory for anybody who has had the misfortune of
              > viewing this.

              You know what scarred me most about that? The music. Ow-owowowowowow.

            • Ellen Kuhfeld
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                Message
                It may be perverse, but I rather liked the music to Miyuki-chan.

                Ellen

                > I think it's self-explanatory for anybody who has had the misfortune of
                > viewing this.

                You know what scarred me most about that? The music. Ow-owowowowowow.

              • Andromeda
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                  I saw a terrifically bad OEL adaptation of Hamlet once... Not only was it quite poorly drawn, they cut gobs of the original text out. I understand editing down for time/length but cutting so much out... it just makes me sad.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Andromeda" <shinjucommittingseppuku@...> wrote:

                    > I saw a terrifically bad OEL adaptation of Hamlet once... Not only was it quite poorly drawn, they cut gobs of the original text out. I understand editing down for time/length but cutting so much out... it just makes me sad.

                    The Skinhead Hamlet completely changed that play for me forever. Best adaptation I've ever read - or performed.

                    ...only adaptation I've ever performed, now that I think about it.

                  • Kumiko Yamazaki
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                      I know this seems a bit ..off course...but the best Hamlet for me is now David Tennant vs Patrick Stewart.  The version was sooo good.  And Tennant's reading of the famous "To be.." monologue was the MOST believable version I've ever seen captured on film.

                      Kumi.

                      On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 1:49 AM, EricaF <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Andromeda" <shinjucommittingseppuku@...> wrote:

                      > I saw a terrifically bad OEL adaptation of Hamlet once... Not only was it quite poorly drawn, they cut gobs of the original text out. I understand editing down for time/length but cutting so much out... it just makes me sad.

                      The Skinhead Hamlet completely changed that play for me forever. Best adaptation I've ever read - or performed.

                      ...only adaptation I've ever performed, now that I think about it.

                      <*> Your email settings:
                         Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                         (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                         Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
                         Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      --
                      =============================
                      Dare Sensei - The Legend of the Doctor - changed.

                      http://www.daresensei.net/

                    • Elwin Coldiron
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                        Like to see an anime version (classic) of 'Moby Dick' - with Sir Patrick Steward as the voice of Ahab!  I would also like to hear who would be voiced for Ishmael, Queequeg and Starbuck.

                        Blaine

                        "When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my pistol."
                        Stephen W. Hawking

                        To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                        From: pretty.cure@...
                        Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 11:33:35 +0800