Re: [Yuricon] Final Fantasy yuri

  • Rikaishi
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 17, 2010
      I havn't been able to play since I don't own any of the consoles it's on, but I've seen enough to know that it is indeed quite cool. Lovely to see in a Final Fantasy game. Especially as XIII or XIV may be the last of the Final Fantasy games.

      As for the game's content... I thought it had a very classic shoujo/yuri feel to it myself.
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 18, 2010
        While in Tokyo, I was watching for any art/goods that paired them, but there was none - so I assumed it was an ambiguously gay relationship. (However, there never really has been official goods or art that paired characters that I can recall - it's mostly single-character stuff.

        If someone wanted to do a review for Okazu, I'd be pleased to talk to them.

        I have people ask me about this all the time and "like Xena and Gabrilelle" is exactly how I've been describing it.

        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > From: firebird1919@...
        > Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 15:01:52 +0000
        > Subject: [Yuricon] Final Fantasy yuri
        >
        > (I am not giving any real spoilers here.)
        >
        > Earlier this morning I slashed and stumbled my way to the end of FFXIII. I wanted to have seen the ending before I mentioned anything here, just in case one of the girls magically acquired a boyfriend- as they sometimes do when producers start to feel you've played too close to the lesbian line.
        >
        > Anyway, there are a pair of characters in the latest FF that certainly do seem to be more than friends, in a not unlike Xena/Gabrielle way. There are no theatrical smooches and if you wanted to ignore any subtext, you probably could- though members of this list would probably roll their eyes and think you weren't too swift.
        >
        > There it is. I don't know how many gamers frequent here, but I thought it was kind of cool.
        >
        > ~Taz

        > <*> Your email settings:
        > Individual Email | Traditional
        >
        > <*> To change settings online go to:
        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > <*> To change settings via email:
        > Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • secondontheleft
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 18, 2010
          I could try my hand at review writing. I'd even promise to leave out the over thinking part where I draw connections to Mai-HiME. (The origin of that toxic thought train being the name of the final boss and the color of Fang's default weapon).

          ~Taz

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 19, 2010
            Overthinking things is not a problem. I encourage it.

            Email me privately and we can talk!

            Hungry for Yuri?
            Have some Okazu!
            http://okazu.blogspot.com

          • thecrazymango@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 19, 2010
              I'm currently playing it right now and so far its amazing! Lightning is definitely my favorite while there are some others who are annoying as hell... cough Hope and Vanille cough. I have a 360 and STILL on disc one (this game is hella long) but I will definitely watch out for it when I do finish

              Hopefully the potential yuri you saw are characters that intrigue me the most... ::crosses fingers::

              I could try my hand at review writing. I'd even promise to leave out the over thinking part where I draw connections to Mai-HiME. (The origin of that toxic thought train being the name of the final boss and the color of Fang's default weapon).

              ~Taz

              > While in Tokyo, I was watching for any art/goods that paired them, but there was none - so I assumed it was an ambiguously gay relationship. (However, there never really has been official goods or art that paired characters that I can recall - it's mostly single-character stuff.
              > If someone wanted to do a review for Okazu, I'd be pleased to talk to them.
              > I have people ask me about this all the time and "like Xena and Gabrilelle" is exactly how I've been describing it.

              > http://www.yuricon.org

            • Richard Beaubien
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 19, 2010
                My thoughts on FF13's story after playing it for 60 hours...

                I think the moment that most sums up my feelings on Final Fantasy 13 is when you get to the first summon fight with Shiva and. At first you're fighting a typical
                JRPG Female boss, the visuals are ridiculous but not more so than usual. Until you see the two of them combine and form a dual female motorcycle  that Snow rides. It's the kind of cinematic fitting of this final fantasy, it's equal parts awesome, overly long, over designed visually and completely silly and stupid all at once. That one cinematic pretty much is the theme of the game, a story that will work in making you feel for the characters in one moment and than one scene later you'll end up laughing at them . It's the most uneven of the Playstation era Final Fantasy's and the one with the most unrealized potential in it's story.

                Perhaps my reaction to Fang and Vanille is explained by the uneven story telling in the game. At first I didn't like Vanille, she was overly cheerful and just felt like an annoying addition to the game. I liked Fang a bit more, but she didn't seem to stand out compared to Lightning who I mostly liked through out the game. That feeling stayed the same until the game got to the second part of Sazh and Vanille being alone. In what was the best part of the story bar none, we learn that Vanille being Cheerful was just an act hiding her own guilt. Sazh confronts her over it and when he forgives her it's the best scene, soon followed up by the rescue of the pair by Fang and company. Those moments are driven by a clear plot, an old friendship binding characters togther and new bonds being formed. It was at this point I was ready to think that the story was ready to move to the next level.

                Sadly it doesn't.

                When we get to Pulse I was hoping for more moments of Fang and Vanille's past and either the party trying to fight it's fate. Sadly we get neither, as we only get two brief dialogue bits on Fang and Vanille that are good, but left me wanting for me. The rest of the party doesn't fair better, as they resolve to fight their destined fate only to end up doing it in the end. It's as if the designers were unsure if they wanted the story to be about rebelling against fate or about meeting fate head on. Instead they decided to have both and the story ends up wishy washy as a result. It's the same with the characters, as we get them developed to a point but it just stops.

                We know Fang and Vanille are friends, we know they bear a dire destiny and I want them to grow because of it. But they don't and the sacrifice they make at the end doesn't seem personal but instead feels like they do it just because they had to. Even if they didn't give their lives at the end I would of felt uninvolved because it just felt a series of events. Which is a shame because some of the events they face were quite moving and well done. It's just that some were also done quite badly.

                But than that is the whole of FF13 in a whole. Equal parts well done and over done, yet badly done and under developed. And the gloves had belt buckles on them, which as a friend of mine put "Felt like Rob Liefield designed them".

              • shenotski
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 19, 2010
                  I can send an outline if you want. And here's a fun little fact Fang was originally supposed to be a man, they changed it to a he but kept most of the story/dialog intact.