Lunch with military otaku

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 21, 2010
      Hi all -

      I'm checking from Japan with a quick report. Yuri is very thin on the ground here - looking at the stuff that's hot right now don't expect much in Yuri anime for at least another season.

      One Piece is *the* hot ticket at the moment in goods, followed closely by Haruhi, Hetalia and K-ON!. (Mihawk figurines are smoking hot, I have to say.)

      We spent today at Yokota Air Force Base with some of the folks who worked on Strike Witches and Pixel Maritan, including two of the seiyuu. Akiyama Kaoru is *adorable.*

      I'm flattened. I'll check back with you after Tokyo Anime Fair, but frankly, I think we'll have to wait til 2011 for anything decent again.

    • puyopop34
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 21, 2010
        On another note, is it just me or there seems to be more yaoi anime series (or even yaoi-fodder series) coming soon in 2010? I mean the upcoming Spring season has that Uragi-something series, and there's those OVA series Sex Pistols and Ai no Kusabi. And recently another one is confirmed which is based on Nitro+'s boys'love visual novel label.

        All we have is that upcoming Sono Hanabira OVA series, but that one is strictly hentai.

        > Hi all -
        >

        > I'm checking from Japan with a quick report. Yuri is very thin on the ground here - looking at the stuff that's hot right now don't expect much in Yuri anime for at least another season.

      • Nick Perez
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 21, 2010
          It seems to me that anime's kinda becoming biased when it comes to lesbian and gay themes.  Yuri is considered hentai while yaoi is just considered mature?  Very suspicious -_-

          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups .com, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@ ...> wrote:

          > Hi all -
          >

          > I'm checking from Japan with a quick report. Yuri is very thin on the ground here - looking at the stuff that's hot right now don't expect much in Yuri anime for at least another season.

        • Johann Chua
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 21, 2010
            On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 3:35 AM, Nick Perez <vanezzania@...> wrote:
            > It seems to me that anime's kinda becoming biased when it comes to lesbian and gay
            > themes.  Yuri is considered hentai while yaoi is just considered mature?  Very suspicious -_-

            "There's no such thing as porn for women." The adults-only label
            (seinen comic/seijin manga, a.k.a. "hentai") only kicks in for erotic
            manga aimed at men, in Japan. Mind, there seem to be more _complaints_
            about ecchi shoujo manga, like the stuff in Shoujo Comic (Sho-Comi),
            from the Japanese PTA.

            Explicit yuri aimed at women gets the same pass as yaoi, I think.
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 21, 2010

              From: vanezzania@...
              Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:35:13 -0700
              Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Lunch with military otaku

              > It seems to me that anime's kinda becoming biased when it comes to lesbian and gay themes.  Yuri is considered hentai while yaoi is just considered mature?  Very suspicious -_-
              That's a pretty big assumption. There's no distinction like that over here. Bottom line - Boy's Love outsells Yuri. Boy' Love is ten years older as a genre than Girl's Love. There are dozens of establisheds of BL magazines, and a few Yuri magazines.

              Repeat this to yourself about a zillion times a day - anime and manga are a *business*, not an art form. Companies make what will sell and Yuri is still in infancy as a genre. And, anime is struggling as an industry. Pandering to the basest tastes guarantees more sales.

              The fact that there is not lilely to be much Yuri anime coming this summer is not a political statement - it's a business decision.

              On the other hand Ryuu comics (which already runs Manga no Tsukurikata and several other Yuri and Yuri-ish titles) just started "A Library President's Dignity" about the predatory lesbian president of the Library Club and the new guy who is severly cramping her style.

              Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Learn More.
            • Nick Perez
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 21, 2010
                True, however I do hope that we do good some yuri anime soon... whever the heck soon is... and I hope it isn't moe, bleagh!

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 22, 2010
                  I, for one, would hope that in 2010, the American anime companies start licensing the yuri and yuri-fodder series that was shown in 2009. More yuri manga licensing wouldn't hurt as well.