Light novels (Marimite first!) and knowledge of Japanese

  • tregingigan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2010
      Just read the review of the latest Maria-sama ga miteiru on okazu. Apart other things, Yuri as Rosa Chinensis! Ah, I was just waiting for this!
      But, said this, how good has to be my Japanese in order to be able to read a light novel? I mean, I live in a small town and chances of finding stuff like this here, not Marimite only, light novels in general, are close to nil. Obviously, I could order it trough internet but what if, horrors, I receive my books only to discover that I'm not good enough yet to read it?
      I'm planning to take the JLPT 2 this year ( ok, I know its next December...). Enough to read a LN without spittig blood or what?
      Oh, I know my English too, need some improvements. No comments, ok? :D
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2010
        Light Novels are generally written for a teen audience so, with a good dictionary and some patience you probably will get by well enough.

        I fake it pretty good. :-)

        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > From: coronet@...
        > Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 15:09:19 +0000
        > Subject: [Yuricon] Light novels (Marimite first!) and knowledge of Japanese
        >
        > Just read the review of the latest Maria-sama ga miteiru on okazu. Apart other things, Yuri as Rosa Chinensis! Ah, I was just waiting for this!
        > But, said this, how good has to be my Japanese in order to be able to read a light novel? I mean, I live in a small town and chances of finding stuff like this here, not Marimite only, light novels in general, are close to nil. Obviously, I could order it trough internet but what if, horrors, I receive my books only to discover that I'm not good enough yet to read it?
        > I'm planning to take the JLPT 2 this year ( ok, I know its next December...). Enough to read a LN without spittig blood or what?
        > Oh, I know my English too, need some improvements. No comments, ok? :D

        http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390707/direct/01/
      • sarcastic_weasel
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010
          Agreed. You can get through most light novels with a good dictionary. It's a little faster if you have an electronic dictionary, or you can just use your computer and the Internet. (yahoo.co.jp has a good dictionary, alc.co.jp also helps with phrases in books, too. If you have FireFox, add both to your search bar with Mycroft.)

          If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, you can buy and download Kenkyuusha's Japanese->English dictionary and use the Chinese Traditional input method to draw unknown kanji with your finger. (Very handy, and portable.)

          There are quite a few good software dictionaries you can buy on the iTunes store for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I like the Daijirin, but that's JP->JP.

          The biggest problem I have with light novels is with grammar-- sometimes they use grammar I'm not familiar with.

          I find that the more I read, the better I can fake it. :D

          > Light Novels are generally written for a teen audience so, with a good dictionary and some patience you probably will get by well enough.
          >
          > I fake it pretty good. :-)

        • Joseph Wagner
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010
            I want to beat my head in...

            I spent $250 for a denshi jishou with Kenkyuusha's 5th Japanese-English last year.  This is like an utter slap in the face.

            On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 7:27 PM, sarcastic_weasel <sarcastic_weasel@...> wrote:

            Agreed. You can get through most light novels with a good dictionary. It's a little faster if you have an electronic dictionary, or you can just use your computer and the Internet. (yahoo.co.jp has a good dictionary, alc.co.jp also helps with phrases in books, too. If you have FireFox, add both to your search bar with Mycroft.)

            If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, you can buy and download Kenkyuusha's Japanese->English dictionary and use the Chinese Traditional input method to draw unknown kanji with your finger. (Very handy, and portable.)

            There are quite a few good software dictionaries you can buy on the iTunes store for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I like the Daijirin, but that's JP->JP.

            The biggest problem I have with light novels is with grammar-- sometimes they use grammar I'm not familiar with.

            I find that the more I read, the better I can fake it. :D

            > Light Novels are generally written for a teen audience so, with a good dictionary and some patience you probably will get by well enough.
            >
            > I fake it pretty good. :-)

            "How much sand will the hand hold?" ~Jessica, mother of Muad'Dib
          • sarcastic_weasel
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010
              I've been there too. I dropped 26,000 yen on one two years back. Tech moves fast these days. I still use it over my iPhone when I read books, because it's faster/easier to use.

              Using your finger to draw kanji on the Chinese traditional pad is slightly annoying. (Not as good as using the kanji tablets on a good electronic dictionary.) I prefer to use my electronic dictionary, or use the JP keyboard to enter in text on the iPhone. The CHN trad pad on the iPhone is slow and awkward.

              But if you don't have an electronic dictionary, the iPhone/iPod option is there.