Yuricon mini-Excursion - January 16, 2010, New York City

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2010
      Hi all -

      It's cold here. Not like Alaska cold, but cold. New York City is a big freaking wind tunnel and only the stupidest people are going to make plans to try to get together for a day traipsing around.

      So - wanna join me for a day of traipsing around? :-)

      On January 16th, 2010, ***weather permitting*** I plan on dragging my suburban ass into to New York City for a day of otaku-ing hardcore. Anyone who wants to join me is welcome to do so.

      12PM - Meet Kinokuniya on 6th Ave/Bryant Park. We'll be shopping *without* squeeing with our outside voices. (Sean, this means you.)

      After that, we'll wander over to Book-off, for our used manga, j-pop and other random media fix.

      Then we're going to ride the subway downtown to 9th street where depending on the size of the crowd, we'll find a nice Japanese restaurant or a dive, if you all embarrass me. (Sean...)

      And for the piece de resistance, we're going to show up at Drom, 85 Avenue A Between 5 & 6th at 4:30PM for a performance of Promise, a home-grown J-pop idol group that is composed of Friend of Yuri Leanne Finnegan and her sisters. (You may know them as the excruciatingly adorable Maria-sama ga Miteru cosplayers from Otakon a few years ago.) They've launched themselves as "Promise" and have been performing as the opening act for Akihabara moe idol Reni, who is working NYC these days. Reni will also be performing, but I don't care. I'll be there for Promise. This show has a $10 cover charge.

      There's no RSVP necessary, just nab my attention at Kino at noon. If you don't know me, look for Sean - he's the tall guy in the hat. Trust me, you'll find us no problem. lol

      This is weather permitting, so if that day is a ice/snow/slush/hail storm, do NOT drag yourself out on my account, I won't be there.

      Lastly, if you do come, try and bring a sign that says "I heart Promise!!!!!!!" or something equally girly, so we're all on board with the uber-cute ness there. :-)

      So - anyone up for a trip?

    • Kat Gudkova
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2010
        Oh, Erika, if only I had the money, I would have taken that flight from Estonia right away. It sounds great, and I hope all of you will have fun and take pics of the group, so we others can join in somewhat as well. =)

        Winter wishes
        Kat

        The world is a comedy to her who thinks, and a tragedy to her who feels.

        To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 5, 2010
          Hi, this excursion sounds great, seeing that I'm only a short train ride away ^_^

          I do have a question though--you said a "dive" if we don't go to a Japanese restaurant (I suggest Misaka on the edge of Chinatown, but you people probably have better ideas)...when I think of "dive" I think of a bar or something.  Are there any age restrictions?  I'm 18, so I'd hope there isn't, but...I'd like to check.  Same thing for the show later.  If there's alcohol, they might not let people under a certain age in...
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 5, 2010
            From: zovistograt@...
            Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:37:34 -0500

            > Hi, this excursion sounds great, seeing that I'm only a short train ride away ^_^

            > I do have a question though--you said a "dive" if we don't go to a Japanese restaurant (I suggest Misaka on> the edge of Chinatown, but you people probably have better ideas)...when I think of "dive" I think of a bar> or something.  Are there any age restrictions?  I'm 18, so I'd hope there isn't, but...I'd like to check.  > Same thing for the show later.  If there's alcohol, they might not let people under a certain age in...

            Not a dumb question at all - in this case I meant, "dive" as in, "we eat Takoyaki standing on the street because you all embarrass the bejeebus out of me and I want to be able to come back to the restaurant I like." :-) No alcohol for lunch.
            As for the show, I don't think so - the singers aren't of drinking age, so if they can get in, the audience ought to be able to. Drom (the show location) is a restaurant and lounge, not a bar. However, if you'd like to be sensible and double check, the phone number is (212)777-1157. The show is the Reni Mimura show on 1/16.

            http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/
          • Zovistograt
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 15, 2010
              Hello, I just wanted to make sure it's still on for tomorrow!  Where exactly in Kinokuniya are we meeting (1st or 2nd floor)?

              Can't wait to see you all there ^_^

              ~Zovi
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 15, 2010
                We're on. :-)

                Let's say second floor, cafe or the manga stands right in front of the cafe if it's busy. If I'm not there at 12 precisely, have a drink and wait. I'll be in a long black coat, black hair going gray and ear muffs unless it suddenly gets to be 50. Sean is tall, with a big leather fedora.

                Looking forward to having you along!

                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Zovistograt <zovistograt@...> wrote:

                > Hello, I just wanted to make sure it's still on for tomorrow! Where exactly
                > in Kinokuniya are we meeting (1st or 2nd floor)?
                >
                > Can't wait to see you all there ^_^
                >
                > ~Zovi

              • Andi, Andi Spring, Spring
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 15, 2010
                  I wish I could go.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 17, 2010
                    Wow, did we have fun yesterday or what?!?

                    I managed to keep my purchases down to one manga, even though we hit two stores. Lunch with translator extraordinaire Mari Morimoto was great and...

                    OMG Promise rocked the house!

                    I was totally schooled in the true meaning of "moe" watching them. My chest hurt they were so freaking cute. You'll all be happy to hear that one of the songs they performed was "Rainbow" from Aria. They laughed when I told them that I sang along.

                    If you're on Facebook, consider fanning Promise: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Promise/204578159384?ref=nf and attending one of their shows. Seriously. They kick ass.

                    I'll say this - Reni's got some real chops and I wish I could have tolerated the fannishness in the middle to get to her singing more. But the fourth fan that shrieked unintelligibly into the microphone was 4 too many.

                    Thanks to Zovistograt from schlepping along with us, and Sean and Hyo and Rica for joining us for a day of true geekery in the big city! We'll definitely have to do that again. :-)

                  • Eureka Tumangday
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 17, 2010
                      I'm sure all of you had a great time! Hope I could join you in the future.

                      Hello, I just wanted to make sure it's still on for tomorrow!  Where exactly in Kinokuniya are we meeting (1st or 2nd floor)?

                      Can't wait to see you all there ^_^

                      ~Zovi

                      New Email addresses available on Yahoo!
                      Hurry before someone else does!