Re: ANN's "Chicks on Anime" and me

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2009
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Albert Lunde <atlunde@...> wrote:

      > On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 08:49:14PM -0000, EricaF wrote:
      > > What would you like to hear me talk about if you had a chance (since
      > > you're all probably sick to death of Yuri 101?) Good suggestions may
      > > become future Okazu posts. Anything Sean says will be summarily ignored. ;-)
      >
      > Realistic vs fantasy yuri?
      >
      > (There are probably different dimensions to this: Utena and Maria-sama
      > ga Miteru are un-realistic in different ways.)

      All Yuri, in a sense, is fantasy, don't you think? Unless you're reading a Yuri biography, like "Real Bian."

      'Bian is a less unrealistic look at lesbians stories in manga form.

      Here's what I think - Yuri becomes whatever the tropes of the genre it inhabits dictates. Magical girl for girls, you get Utena or Sailor Moon, for guys you get Lyrical Nanoha or My Hime. The shape the "fantasy" genre takes is dictated more by the age and gender of the audience in Japan.