Re: ANN's "Chicks on Anime" and me

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2009
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Nora Wainwright <newain@...> wrote:

      > How about a discussion stereotypical differences (if there are any) that
      > you've noticed between Yuri written by men and Yuri written by women, and
      > series that break those stereotypes?

      Interesting, but answerable, I think. I'd recommend the book "Switch Hitters" to explain why. :-)

      The thing is - writers have little power in Japan. The editors dictate what they write and draw, just like Directors dictate how a movie is written.

      So it's not whether a woman or a man writes a story - what dictates the qualities a story has is what audience it's intended for. (And since most - probably all - manga artists and writers use aliases it's not easy to know if they are really male or female unless you see them in person.)

      > A sort of off-topic discussion I'd like to see is strong straight female
      > characters vs. strong not-so-straight female characters. I've heard the
      > argument that a strong female perceived as a lesbian can be detrimental to
      > feminism, because of the idea that a woman can only be independent if she
      > has no male significant other.

      Why don't you write up something on that? I couldn't *begin* to address it. Much like the woman who asked me after NYU what I thought about the theory that all sex, regardless of consent is an act of violence against women, I think the above is academic hogwash. :-)

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2009
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Albert Lunde <atlunde@...> wrote:

        > On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 08:49:14PM -0000, EricaF wrote:
        > > What would you like to hear me talk about if you had a chance (since
        > > you're all probably sick to death of Yuri 101?) Good suggestions may
        > > become future Okazu posts. Anything Sean says will be summarily ignored. ;-)
        >
        > Realistic vs fantasy yuri?
        >
        > (There are probably different dimensions to this: Utena and Maria-sama
        > ga Miteru are un-realistic in different ways.)

        All Yuri, in a sense, is fantasy, don't you think? Unless you're reading a Yuri biography, like "Real Bian."

        'Bian is a less unrealistic look at lesbians stories in manga form.

        Here's what I think - Yuri becomes whatever the tropes of the genre it inhabits dictates. Magical girl for girls, you get Utena or Sailor Moon, for guys you get Lyrical Nanoha or My Hime. The shape the "fantasy" genre takes is dictated more by the age and gender of the audience in Japan.