ANN's "Chicks on Anime" and me

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
      My mother told me "It's not what you know, it's who you know," when I was like 6 years old. It really peeved me, because, you know what you know and it's not fair to be famous or popular just because the people you know are famous or popular. Unfortunately, my mother was right. So was my father when he looked at me, shrugged and said, "Life's not fair."

      And you all wonder why I'm like this. :-)

      Anyway, I know one of the "Chicks on Anime," Casey Brienza, who is really smart and really funny and makes me seem all soft and fuzzy and warm as a reviewer. Her reviews come with a box of band-aids. :-)

      So, tonight I'm going to be talking to the women of Chicks on Anime. The first topic suggested was "Yaoi vs Yuri" which I begged to not have to talk about, since there is no "vs" to discuss. The second topic was "The Yuri subculture," which I explained doesn't exist as homogeneous thing like Yaoi culture, since Yaoi/BL is a reasonably homogeneous genre for a reasonably homogeneous audience, while Yuri is a lot of different things for a lot of different people.

      Bets on which of these nonsensical topics will be tonight's focus? I don't know yet and I fear a little what I'll get. I'm prepared to be grilled over hot rocks for an hour or so.

      /Note to self, get a bottle of wine on the way home/

      What would you like to hear me talk about if you had a chance (since you're all probably sick to death of Yuri 101?) Good suggestions may become future Okazu posts. Anything Sean says will be summarily ignored. ;-)

    • mara_papimer
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009

        > What would you like to hear me talk about if you had a chance >(since >you're all probably sick to death of Yuri 101?) Good >suggestions may >become future Okazu posts. Anything Sean says will >be summarily >ignored. ;-)

        Firstly I hope the discussion goes better than you may be anticipating.

        Two things leap to mind first.

        First Patlabor, all of Patlabor: move, anime, manga, small promotional phone straps and so on. I remember reading Okazu 'now this is only my opinion' posts to see if you were a person of taste and the fact that one of your favorite anime was patlabor sealed it. So I would very much like to hear your opinion on Patabor.

        The second much less likely idea is for both you and your wife (who after about thirty minutes of scouring your blog I can't find her actual name so I'm sorry but that is all that I can refer to her as) both pick a series that you have both read/watched and give your two separate opinions of it. Opinons that I assume will be very different. However this is probably too difficult to set up and too much of a hassle.

        Again hope the "Chicks on Anime" thing goes okay.
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: in_the_name_of_union7@...
          > Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 21:36:58 +0000
          > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: ANN's "Chicks on Anime" and me

          > First Patlabor, all of Patlabor: move, anime, manga, small promotional phone straps and so on. I remember reading Okazu 'now this is only my opinion' posts to see if you were a person of taste and the fact that one of your favorite anime was patlabor sealed it. So I would very much like to hear your opinion on Patabor.

          That's not really fit for Okazu, so I'll keep it simple - it's good because it's a mechan anime in which the mecha are merely vehicles while the anime itself is about rea(ish) people.

          > The second much less likely idea is for both you and your wife (who after about thirty minutes of scouring your blog I can't find her actual name so I'm sorry but that is all that I can refer to her as) both pick a series that you have both read/watched and give your two separate opinions of it. Opinons that I assume will be very different. However this is probably too difficult to set up and too much of a hassle.

          Not sure if she'd go for that, (there's a reason why most of you don't know her name) but I can certainly ask. :-)

          Thanks for the well-wishes!

          Windows 7: Unclutter your desktop. Learn more.
        • Nora Wainwright
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
            How about a discussion stereotypical differences (if there are any) that you've noticed between Yuri written by men and Yuri written by women, and series that break those stereotypes?

            A sort of off-topic discussion I'd like to see is strong straight female characters vs. strong not-so-straight female characters. I've heard the argument that a strong female perceived as a lesbian can be detrimental to feminism, because of the idea that a woman can only be independent if she has no male significant other.

            Good luck and have fun with Chicks on Anime :)

            - Nora

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009

              > That's not really fit for Okazu, so I'll keep it simple - it's good >because it's a mechan anime in which the mecha are merely vehicles >while the anime itself is about rea(ish) people.

              Ah so. Sorry that was my mistake. I assumed you where looking for something that usually would not be on Okazu.

              > Not sure if she'd go for that, (there's a reason why most of you >don't know her name) but I can certainly ask. :-)

              Ah. Then thank you very much in advance. Often the spouses of interesting pioneers are just as powerful and unique as the aforementioned pioneers. How would they be able to put up with each other otherwise?
            • Albert Lunde
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
                On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 08:49:14PM -0000, EricaF wrote:
                > What would you like to hear me talk about if you had a chance (since
                > you're all probably sick to death of Yuri 101?) Good suggestions may
                > become future Okazu posts. Anything Sean says will be summarily ignored. ;-)

                Realistic vs fantasy yuri?

                (There are probably different dimensions to this: Utena and Maria-sama
                ga Miteru are un-realistic in different ways.)

                --
                Albert Lunde albert-lunde@...
                atlunde@... (new address for personal mail)
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 7, 2009
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Nora Wainwright <newain@...> wrote:

                  > How about a discussion stereotypical differences (if there are any) that
                  > you've noticed between Yuri written by men and Yuri written by women, and
                  > series that break those stereotypes?

                  Interesting, but answerable, I think. I'd recommend the book "Switch Hitters" to explain why. :-)

                  The thing is - writers have little power in Japan. The editors dictate what they write and draw, just like Directors dictate how a movie is written.

                  So it's not whether a woman or a man writes a story - what dictates the qualities a story has is what audience it's intended for. (And since most - probably all - manga artists and writers use aliases it's not easy to know if they are really male or female unless you see them in person.)

                  > A sort of off-topic discussion I'd like to see is strong straight female
                  > characters vs. strong not-so-straight female characters. I've heard the
                  > argument that a strong female perceived as a lesbian can be detrimental to
                  > feminism, because of the idea that a woman can only be independent if she
                  > has no male significant other.

                  Why don't you write up something on that? I couldn't *begin* to address it. Much like the woman who asked me after NYU what I thought about the theory that all sex, regardless of consent is an act of violence against women, I think the above is academic hogwash. :-)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 7, 2009
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Albert Lunde <atlunde@...> wrote:

                    > On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 08:49:14PM -0000, EricaF wrote:
                    > > What would you like to hear me talk about if you had a chance (since
                    > > you're all probably sick to death of Yuri 101?) Good suggestions may
                    > > become future Okazu posts. Anything Sean says will be summarily ignored. ;-)
                    >
                    > Realistic vs fantasy yuri?
                    >
                    > (There are probably different dimensions to this: Utena and Maria-sama
                    > ga Miteru are un-realistic in different ways.)

                    All Yuri, in a sense, is fantasy, don't you think? Unless you're reading a Yuri biography, like "Real Bian."

                    'Bian is a less unrealistic look at lesbians stories in manga form.

                    Here's what I think - Yuri becomes whatever the tropes of the genre it inhabits dictates. Magical girl for girls, you get Utena or Sailor Moon, for guys you get Lyrical Nanoha or My Hime. The shape the "fantasy" genre takes is dictated more by the age and gender of the audience in Japan.