RE: [Yuricon] (slightly OT) Revolutionary wedding utena

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2009
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: isaacfrankfischer@...
      > Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 01:01:18 +0000
      > Subject: [Yuricon] (slightly OT) Revolutionary wedding utena
      >
      > http://offbeatbride.com/2009/10/lesbian-gamer-wedding#referrer
      > a lesbian couple had a wedding themed after portal and utena.

      Interestingly, that wedding is tangentially connected to this list through member Adam Jones. He was there. :-)

      Windows 7: Simplify your PC. Learn more.
    • Adam Jones
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2009
        On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:09:08 -0400, Erica Friedman
        <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

        > > http://offbeatbride.com/2009/10/lesbian-gamer-wedding#referrer
        > > a lesbian couple had a wedding themed after portal and utena.
        > Interestingly, that wedding is tangentially connected to this list
        > through member Adam Jones. He was there. :-)

        I was wondering how long it would take for it to make the list. :)

        (I think one of the lovely brides is lurking here somewhere as well...)
        .oO("a *market* for coprolitic embroidery" )
      • (no author)
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 28, 2009
          > To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: adam@...
          > Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 06:16:05 +0000
          > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] (slightly OT) Revolutionary wedding utena
          >
          > On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:09:08 -0400, Erica Friedman
          > <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
          >
          > > > http://offbeatbride.com/2009/10/lesbian-gamer-wedding#referrer
          > > > a lesbian couple had a wedding themed after portal and utena.

          > I was wondering how long it would take for it to make the list. :)
          >
          > (I think one of the lovely brides is lurking here somewhere as well...)

          It would be cool if you (and Juri-chan, if she's here) could tell us a little bit about it. I mean, Utena wedding...!

          Yuricon - "For real women who like their women...animated." http://www.yuricon.org Hungry for Yuri?

          Windows 7: It helps you do more. Explore Windows 7.
        • Juri Arisugawa
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 29, 2009

            We've both been really flattered by how much attention our wedding has suddenly gotten :)

            Despite what some blogs have reported we didn't actually cosplay at the wedding, although Anli did make her dress entirely from scratch. My hair is normally pink but I think that's maybe where the confusion came in.

            It was really important to us that the wedding reflected our personalities and interests, so for me yuri references were a must!
            (
            I'm pretty sure I was the first person ever to say 'ONEEEESAMAAAA' in wedding vows...)

            I am a really big fan of Shoujo Kakumei Utena (especially Juri *squee*)  and Utena has played a big role in our relationship over the years, the first gift I received from anli ever was a hand made rose seal ring ^^; (very cute) which she upgraded a few years later to a ring made of actual silver) and when I snuck her into the prom I was wearing a rose bride gown she had made for me ...

            That was why in planning our wedding, we decided to pay tribute to Utena. :)

            We wanted the references to be obvious but not overpowering ^_^

            The thought of incorporating references into the actual wedding started with our engagement.
             Anli proposed to me by wrapping a gold Juri locket in foil and hiding it in a box of chocolates that she bought me to celebrate our 4th anniversary.
             I love that locket so much that I was determined to wear it on the wedding day.

            As it turned out the gold clashed terribly with the coloring of my dream dress and that is when I got the idea to incorporate other items.

            In the end we had lots of little things, including:

            'Hikari Sasu Niwa' played on the violin as we walked down the aisle
            Lots of Utena instrumentals as background music.
            I  snuck in some SP tracks and the aoi hana theme.
            A rose seal bracelet that I made using a charm salvaged from a phone strap (the collector in me was guilty about that)
            Cake toppers made from gashapon ( I was also guilty about this, my collection took a real battering for this ceremony ^_^)
            The engraving on the inside of my ring reads: "Revolution", this was also the name of the bridal table.
            Our table cards had rose seals on them.
            I made a believing in miracles reference in my vows.

            I also brought the Juri locket along, for good luck :)
          • Adam Jones
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 29, 2009
              Clearly this thread should have been entitled "Revolutionary Pretty
              Girl Marriage". (Hands up all those who get the reference...)

              On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:43:21 +1100, Juri Arisugawa
              <Duelling.femme@...> wrote:

              > Despite what some blogs have reported we didn't actually cosplay at
              > the wedding, although Anli did make her dress entirely from scratch.
              > My hair is normally pink but I think that's maybe where the confusion
              > came in.

              For what it's worth, I can certainly attest to their having some truly
              impressive Utena cosplay outfits available (I've not seen anyone else
              get Anthy's skirt right), but they certainly weren't wearing them on
              the day.

              Sadly, my efforts to persuade the celebrant to turn up topless on the
              hood of a red convertible were in vain. (Frustratingly, customs
              wouldn't let me bring my floating castle in either. Stupid arms export
              regulations.)

              > ( I'm pretty sure I was the first person ever to say 'ONEEEESAMAAAA'
              > in wedding vows...)

              (And just to reassure the terrified, yes, it was done as a joke. :)

              For my part, I've known both Laura and Anli for a fair few years now,
              but since I live on the opposite side of the planet I was rather
              surprised when an invitation turned up in the post one morning. Still,
              some things are well worth spending 20 hours on a plane for, and this
              was very definitely one of those things.

              (In case anyone's wondering just how much work went into it all, I'm
              pretty sure that Anli's wedding dress ended up taking a large part of
              the last two years to make all by itself...)

              As an added bonus, I now have a very well-travelled (and only slightly
              squashed) Companion Cube in pride of place on my bookshelves. :)
              .oO("'Ulan Bator', not 'Microsoft Lan Manager'" )
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 30, 2009
                Thanks for letting us in on your wedding, Juri! It looks like it was loads of Yuri fun. :-)

                 Yuricon - "For real women who like their women...animated." http://www.yuricon.org

                To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com