Library and Book-themed Anime (Not Yuri)

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 24, 2009
      I'm sitting around thinking about promoting anime and manga and naturally, my library came to mind. I've mentioned them before on a number of my social media...The Morris County Library. A truly awesome group of people who are not only 100% supportive of Graphic Novels - including LGBTQ stories - but are totally into social media and promoting their library. I <3 them.

      So, I was thinking about maybe trying to set up some anime showings at the Library. The wife immediately mentioned Read or Die, and yeah, I think the OVA would be a cool choice. Library Wars is slated for release next year here from Viz, and I thought that might be fun to show, too.

      Book of Bantorra is library related, but it's so hilariously bad, I wouldn't do that to the public. :-)

      Can you think of any other book, reading or library related anime - her's the hard part - suitable for a PG13 audience or younger? They do not have to be Yuri.

      Let's hear suggestions!

    • Clarissa C. S. Ryan
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 24, 2009
        If you leave out a couple episodes of Kokoro Library, it could be a great choice.  :P

        --
        Clarissa C. S. Ryan
        wintersweet@...
          <413045.80815.qm@...>

          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: wintersweet@...
          > Date: Sat=2C 24 Oct 2009 09:54:33 -0700
          > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Library and Book-themed Anime (Not Yuri)
          >

          > If you leave out a couple episodes of Kokoro Library=2C it could be a gre=
          at choice. :P

          If we leave out every scene with a bath=2C we'd have like thirty seconds le=
          ft. (kidding=2C kidding.)
          Takagi has a new series "Onsen Planet" =A0- I'm sure he's one happy mangaka=
          ! :-)

          Cheers=2C

          =20
          http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx?ocid=3DPID24727::T:=
          WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen2:102009=
        • Adam Jones
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 24, 2009
            On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 16:07:54 -0000, "EricaF"
            <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

            > Can you think of any other book, reading or library related anime -
            > her's the hard part - suitable for a PG13 audience or younger? They
            > do not have to be Yuri.

            Agh. Well, Madlax and Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito are both
            sorta-kinda book-related, but neither is exactly PG-13 material.
            Gankutsuou is at least *based* on an awesome book, but again, fails the
            PG-13 test in parts (sexuality more than violence, so it's guaranteed to
            offend American parents ;).

            A couple of episodes of Mushishi involve books and writing (the first
            episode, and the Sea of Brushstrokes story). Neither one features
            any eyeball-related squickiness, so you might get away with them, and
            they're both utterly beautiful.

            It's a shame I can't work out a way to claim Dennou Coil is
            book-related, because as PG-13 shows go it's totally great.

            Was the book on which Grave of the Fireflies was based ever translated
            into English, do you know? That'd certainly be... educational for the
            older children.
            .oO("Oh my god! They killed Kanji!" )
          • Joseph Wagner
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 24, 2009
              I don't think there's much about Madlax that would offend parents beside gratuitous violence which kids that age see in abundance anyway.  Oh and there's that one guy who cleverly commits suicide.  hmm...

              ~Rei

              <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

              > Can you think of any other book, reading or library related anime -
              > her's the hard part - suitable for a PG13 audience or younger? They
              > do not have to be Yuri.

              Agh. Well, Madlax and Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito are both
              sorta-kinda book-related, but neither is exactly PG-13 material.
              Gankutsuou is at least *based* on an awesome book, but again, fails the
              PG-13 test in parts (sexuality more than violence, so it's guaranteed to
              offend American parents ;).

              A couple of episodes of Mushishi involve books and writing (the first
              episode, and the Sea of Brushstrokes story). Neither one features
              any eyeball-related squickiness, so you might get away with them, and
              they're both utterly beautiful.

              It's a shame I can't work out a way to claim Dennou Coil is
              book-related, because as PG-13 shows go it's totally great.

              Was the book on which Grave of the Fireflies was based ever translated
              into English, do you know? That'd certainly be... educational for the
              older children.
              .oO("Oh my god! They killed Kanji!" )

              "How much sand will the hand hold?" ~Jessica, mother of Muad'Dib
            • Anil Dey
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 24, 2009
                The fan made Touhou Project anime has a battle that takes place in a library. Don't know if qualifies as good especially as it's only one episode thought it's definitely PG-13 or under.
                http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8A0ECE1C1580A610
                http://87.230.22.24/torrents/%5BStrikeS-Ayako%5D_Touhou_Anime_Project_-_Musou_Kakyou_-_Trailer_%5B512x288%5D%5B2AED758B%5D.mkv.torrent

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 24, 2009
                  "Fushigi Yugi"

                  Maybe "Magic Users Club"

                  Raven

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 24, 2009
                    I would shoot down Mahou Tsukai Tai for having too much sexual content (at least three nosebleeds in every ep) and potty humor that will give children too much raw material to annoy parents with.

                    ~Rei

                    On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 2:55 PM, <raven31572@...> wrote:

                    "Fushigi Yugi"

                    Maybe "Magic Users Club"

                    Raven

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 25, 2009
                      There's a series coming out on tv at the moment, Blue Literature. Seems that it will adapt a few classical Japanese novels into anime. Although it is just out on tv this season though, and is a series of adaptations not really about library's or books as items...

                      Not an anime but fighting game Blazblue has a military police group that is called 'The Library' as kind of an insult by the rest of the population.

                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Anil Dey <cap_banana@...> wrote:

                      > The fan made Touhou Project anime has a battle that takes place in a library. Don't know if qualifies as good especially as it's only one episode thought it's definitely PG-13 or under.
                      > http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8A0ECE1C1580A610
                      > http://87.230.22.24/torrents/%5BStrikeS-Ayako%5D_Touhou_Anime_Project_-_Musou_Kakyou_-_Trailer_%5B512x288%5D%5B2AED758B%5D.mkv.torrent

                    • Johann Chua
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 25, 2009
                        On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 12:07 AM, EricaF <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                        > So, I was thinking about maybe trying to set up some anime showings at the Library. The wife
                        > immediately mentioned Read or Die, and yeah, I think the OVA would be a cool choice.

                        Too bad the TV series is OOP in R1. (Having a wee bit of trouble
                        completing my set since I started with vol. 7 LE and the two volumes
                        (2 & 5) in stock locally. Was also worried about customs if I ordered
                        a complete set.) Then again having the British Library as the bad guys
                        might not be the best choice for a library showing. Wonder if the
                        face-heel turn was riffing on the Federation in Gundam 0079 and Zeta
                        Gundam.
                      • mara_papimer
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 25, 2009
                          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <johannconradchua@...> wrote:

                          >Then again having the British Library as the bad guys
                          > might not be the best choice for a library showing.

                          They do not appear all that evil if you are a British imperialist. I have a friend who deliberately ignores the final episode because he likes the world view at that point.
                        • secondontheleft
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 25, 2009
                            You might show Miyazaki's Whisper of the Heart (Mimi wo Sumaseba).