RE: [Yuricon] Re: Girls Love Festival 2 has passed.....

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 21, 2009
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: lynmarenjensen@...
      > Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:34:55 +0000
      > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Girls Love Festival 2 has passed.....
      >
      > What does LFB mean?

      Loser FanBoy. It's my English analogy for the actual meaning of "otaku" in Japanese, since so many Americans use "otaku" as a word of pride. The other equivalent is LFG for Loser FanGirl, which is roughly the analogous term for "Fujyoshi."

      Yes, the "Loser" part is perjorative, but the original meanings in Japanese are, in fact, meant pejoratively. I frequently score things Loser FanErica when it's a series about which I unnaturally obsess. ;-) I like to not take myself or my obsession with comics and cartoons too seriously.

      I wrote up a Glossary of Terms for Okazu a while back and often refer to it when I post here on the list and there on the blog: http://okazu.blogspot.com/2008/03/okazu-glossary-of-terms.html Hope it helps decode my posts. :-)

      Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
      ttp://okazu.blogspot.com

      Microsoft brings you a new way to search the web. Try Bing™ now
    • Kian
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 21, 2009
        If I'm not wrong, it means Loser FanBoy.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 22, 2009
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Kian <sjentai22@...> wrote:

          > If I'm not wrong, it means Loser FanBoy.

          Ironically, my own messages are being caught by the Y!groups spam filter. You are correct. :-)

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 22, 2009
            More importantly, my Japanese penpal has returned home from GLF2 (the original topic of this thread) and says he got some good stuff.

            I'll ask him how it went and share what I can. :-)

          • mara_papimer
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 22, 2009

              > More importantly, my Japanese penpal has returned home from GLF2 (the original topic of this thread) and says he got some good stuff.
              >
              > I'll ask him how it went and share what I can. :-)

              Yay. Thanks in advance.
            • lynmarenjensen
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 22, 2009
                Thanks to both of you and the other poster for explaining. Yes, "loser (fan boy/girl)" is perjorative, but so were the words "geek" and "nerd" orginally. Now they've lost that derogatory connontation, at least to an extent.

                > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                > > From: lynmarenjensen@...
                > > Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:34:55 +0000
                > > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Girls Love Festival 2 has passed.....
                > >
                > > What does LFB mean?
                >
                > Loser FanBoy. It's my English analogy for the actual meaning of "otaku" in Japanese, since so many Americans use "otaku" as a word of pride. The other equivalent is LFG for Loser FanGirl, which is roughly the analogous term for "Fujyoshi."
                > Yes, the "Loser" part is perjorative, but the original meanings in Japanese are, in fact, meant pejoratively. I frequently score things Loser FanErica when it's a series about which I unnaturally obsess. ;-) I like to not take myself or my obsession with comics and cartoons too seriously.
                > I wrote up a Glossary of Terms for Okazu a while back and often refer to it when I post here on the list and there on the blog: http://okazu.blogspot.com/2008/03/okazu-glossary-of-terms.html Hope it helps decode my posts. :-)
                > Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!ttp://okazu.blogspot.com

                > Microsoft brings you a new way to search the web. Try Bing™ now
                > http://www.bing.com?form=MFEHPG&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MFEHPG_Core_tagline_try bing_1x1

              • mara_papimer
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 22, 2009
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "lynmarenjensen" <lynmarenjensen@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks to both of you and the other poster for explaining. Yes, >"loser (fan boy/girl)" is perjorative, but so were the words "geek" >and "nerd" orginally. Now they've lost that derogatory connontation, >at least to an extent.

                  I have always assumed it was a U.S. only thing. From an outsiders perspective Americans always call each other names, it makes sense that there would be new ones invented now and then.