Lesbians raising a son?

  • ryogahibiki99
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 26, 2009
      This is probably just one of my mental fanfic ideas, so just bear with me...

      Recently I've been bandying about with this thread on the Anime Addventure which has a mass crossover with Urusei Yatsura, Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2 involved, and I wrote an episode where Shinobu and Ryuunosuke had sort of become a couple, in the context that by convoluted reasons set by the original writer, Shinobu had fallen pregnant and Ryuunosuke is trying her best to care for her.

      Knowing the writing habits of the guy who wrote the episode putting forth that Shinobu had gotten pregnant, I had no doubt that he would have her carry the baby to term. So now I have visions in my head of Shinobu and Ryuunosuke having a son and raising him, naming him "Kintaro", because he's super strong like his mom and close to invincible.

      And this has got me to thinking... Haruka and Michiru did a good job in raising Hotaru in Sailor Moon Super S, but is thre any other cases of a lesbian oouple in manga raising a son? Or in the media in general?
    • Nick Perez
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 26, 2009
        I don't know any per se... buth I'm sure there are lesbian couples, both real and anime, raising sons

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 29, 2009
          There's no way to confirm this, but I have always believed that Akira's mothers from Twenty Masks ("Man of Many Faces) are a couple. :-)

          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: sparkthatbled07@...
          > Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:29:48 +0000
          > Subject: [Yuricon] Lesbians raising a son?
          >
          > This is probably just one of my mental fanfic ideas, so just bear with me...
          >
          > Recently I've been bandying about with this thread on the Anime Addventure which has a mass crossover with Urusei Yatsura, Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2 involved, and I wrote an episode where Shinobu and Ryuunosuke had sort of become a couple, in the context that by convoluted reasons set by the original writer, Shinobu had fallen pregnant and Ryuunosuke is trying her best to care for her.
          >
          > Knowing the writing habits of the guy who wrote the episode putting forth that Shinobu had gotten pregnant, I had no doubt that he would have her carry the baby to term. So now I have visions in my head of Shinobu and Ryuunosuke having a son and raising him, naming him "Kintaro", because he's super strong like his mom and close to invincible.
          >
          > And this has got me to thinking... Haruka and Michiru did a good job in raising Hotaru in Sailor Moon Super S, but is thre any other cases of a lesbian oouple in manga raising a son? Or in the media in general?

          > <*> Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          > mailto:Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
          > mailto:Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Rinu CZ
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 29, 2009
            Hi,

            Recently I have seen Des parents pas comme les autres, a non-anime
            drama french movie focused on a daughter of lesbian who lives with her
            female partner. Otherwise I don't know any such movie/series, sadly.

            R.

            2009/8/26 ryogahibiki99 <sparkthatbled07@...>:
            > This is probably just one of my mental fanfic ideas, so just bear with me...
            >
            > Recently I've been bandying about with this thread on the Anime Addventure which has a mass crossover with Urusei Yatsura, Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2 involved, and I wrote an episode where Shinobu and Ryuunosuke had sort of become a couple, in the context that by convoluted reasons set by the original writer, Shinobu had fallen pregnant and Ryuunosuke is trying her best to care for her...
          • Sophia Moon
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 29, 2009
              reality isn't half as dramatic as in that movie, I can tell you that. ;-)
              (or rather: our sons can tell you that)

              and back to lurker mode, because this isn't really yuri related.

              To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              From: rinucz@...
              Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:32:23 +0200
              Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Lesbians raising a son?

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 29, 2009
                Hehe, yeah, it was really dramatic, almost in the end of the movie I
                couldn't hold myself back and not said, "No, not go there, too."
                Though, pupils were surprisingly willing to admit something to their
                teacher (in comparison to a reality).

                2009/8/29 Sophia Moon <sophia_moon@...>:

                > reality isn't half as dramatic as in that movie, I can tell you that. ;-)
                > (or rather: our sons can tell you that)
                >
                > and back to lurker mode, because this isn't really yuri related.
                > ________________________________
                > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                > From: rinucz@...
                > Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:32:23 +0200
                > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Lesbians raising a son?
                >

                > Hi,
                >
                > Recently I have seen Des parents pas comme les autres, a non-anime
                > drama french movie focused on a daughter of lesbian who lives with her
                > female partner. Otherwise I don't know any such movie/series, sadly.
                >
                > R.
                >
                > 2009/8/26 ryogahibiki99 <sparkthatbled07@...>:
                >> This is probably just one of my mental fanfic ideas, so just bear with
                >> me...
                >>
                >> Recently I've been bandying about with this thread on the Anime Addventure
                >> which has a mass crossover with Urusei Yatsura, Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2
                >> involved, and I wrote an episode where Shinobu and Ryuunosuke had sort of
                >> become a couple, in the context that by convoluted reasons set by the
                >> original writer, Shinobu had fallen pregnant and Ryuunosuke is trying her
                >> best to care for her...

              • Sophia Moon
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 29, 2009
                  It seems filmmakers can't even imagine families where there's 2 mums who have been together from way before the kids are born, instead of a divorced mum and her girlfriend.
                  And schoolmates being cool with it? (after having been curious for a bit, of course)  Impossible. ;-)

                  To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  From: rinucz@...
                  Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 22:45:56 +0200

                  2009/8/29 Sophia Moon <sophia_moon@ hotmail.com>:

                  > reality isn't half as dramatic as in that movie, I can tell you that. ;-)
                  > (or rather: our sons can tell you that)
                  >
                  > and back to lurker mode, because this isn't really yuri related.
                  > ____________ _________ _________ __
                  > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups .com
                  > From: rinucz@gmail. com
                  > Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:32:23 +0200
                  > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Lesbians raising a son?
                  >

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Recently I have seen Des parents pas comme les autres, a non-anime
                  > drama french movie focused on a daughter of lesbian who lives with her
                  > female partner. Otherwise I don't know any such movie/series, sadly.
                  >
                  > R.
                  >
                  > 2009/8/26 ryogahibiki99 <sparkthatbled07@ googlemail. com>:
                  >> This is probably just one of my mental fanfic ideas, so just bear with
                  >> me...
                  >>
                  >> Recently I've been bandying about with this thread on the Anime Addventure
                  >> which has a mass crossover with Urusei Yatsura, Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2
                  >> involved, and I wrote an episode where Shinobu and Ryuunosuke had sort of
                  >> become a couple, in the context that by convoluted reasons set by the
                  >> original writer, Shinobu had fallen pregnant and Ryuunosuke is trying her
                  >> best to care for her...

                • Johanna Schewior
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 29, 2009
                    Well, there are pretty random, positive examples, too. Like that sitcom, 'STILL STANDING' with Mark Addy.
                    A lesbian couple moves into the house next to the family the show is about. The two women have a teenage son who becomes friends with the daughter of the Miller family. It's all rather normal. Well, as normal as a comedy-show can get ;)

                    Jo

                    To: Yuricon@yahoogroups .com
                    From: rinucz@gmail. com
                    Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 22:45:56 +0200

                    Hehe, yeah, it was really dramatic, almost in the end of the movie I
                    couldn't hold myself back and not said, "No, not go there, too."
                    Though, pupils were surprisingly willing to admit something to their
                    teacher (in comparison to a reality).

                    2009/8/29 Sophia Moon <sophia_moon@ hotmail.com>:

                    > reality isn't half as dramatic as in that movie, I can tell you that. ;-)
                    > (or rather: our sons can tell you that)
                    >
                    > and back to lurker mode, because this isn't really yuri related.
                    > ____________ _________ _________ __
                    > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups .com
                    > From: rinucz@gmail. com
                    > Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:32:23 +0200
                    > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Lesbians raising a son?
                    >

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > Recently I have seen Des parents pas comme les autres, a non-anime
                    > drama french movie focused on a daughter of lesbian who lives with her
                    > female partner. Otherwise I don't know any such movie/series, sadly.
                    >
                    > R.
                    >
                    > 2009/8/26 ryogahibiki99 <sparkthatbled07@ googlemail. com>:
                    >> This is probably just one of my mental fanfic ideas, so just bear with
                    >> me...
                    >>
                    >> Recently I've been bandying about with this thread on the Anime Addventure
                    >> which has a mass crossover with Urusei Yatsura, Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2
                    >> involved, and I wrote an episode where Shinobu and Ryuunosuke had sort of
                    >> become a couple, in the context that by convoluted reasons set by the
                    >> original writer, Shinobu had fallen pregnant and Ryuunosuke is trying her
                    >> best to care for her...

                  • Rinu CZ
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 29, 2009
                      Indeed, Sophia. Well, but aside from cinematography, there actually
                      comes other media stuff, comics Dykes to Watch Out For. At first it
                      has a couple, later they have a son plus they have lifes (not in TLW
                      style where one wonders when they even have time to raise their kid,
                      lol - ah, that's another case). However the end of comics was kind of
                      hard to read sometimes, it was neat.

                      R.

                      2009/8/29 Sophia Moon <sophia_moon@...>:

                      > It seems filmmakers can't even imagine families where there's 2 mums who
                      > have been together from way before the kids are born, instead of a divorced
                      > mum and her girlfriend.
                      > And schoolmates being cool with it? (after having been curious for a bit, of
                      > course)  Impossible. ;-)
                      >

                      > ________________________________
                      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: rinucz@...
                      > Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 22:45:56 +0200
                      > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Lesbians raising a son?
                      >

                      > Hehe, yeah, it was really dramatic, almost in the end of the movie I
                      > couldn't hold myself back and not said, "No, not go there, too."
                      > Though, pupils were surprisingly willing to admit something to their
                      > teacher (in comparison to a reality).

                      > 2009/8/29 Sophia Moon <sophia_moon@...>:
                      >>

                      >> reality isn't half as dramatic as in that movie, I can tell you that. ;-)
                      >> (or rather: our sons can tell you that)
                      >>
                      >> and back to lurker mode, because this isn't really yuri related.
                      >> ________________________________
                      >> To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                      >> From: rinucz@...
                      >> Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:32:23 +0200
                      >> Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Lesbians raising a son?
                      >>

                      >> Hi,
                      >>
                      >> Recently I have seen Des parents pas comme les autres, a non-anime
                      >> drama french movie focused on a daughter of lesbian who lives with her
                      >> female partner. Otherwise I don't know any such movie/series, sadly.
                      >>
                      >> R.
                      >>
                      >> 2009/8/26 ryogahibiki99 <sparkthatbled07@...>:
                      >>> This is probably just one of my mental fanfic ideas, so just bear with
                      >>> me...
                      >>>
                      >>> Recently I've been bandying about with this thread on the Anime
                      >>> Addventure
                      >>> which has a mass crossover with Urusei Yatsura, Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2
                      >>> involved, and I wrote an episode where Shinobu and Ryuunosuke had sort of
                      >>> become a couple, in the context that by convoluted reasons set by the
                      >>> original writer, Shinobu had fallen pregnant and Ryuunosuke is trying her
                      >>> best to care for her...

                    • Sophia Moon
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 29, 2009
                        So after 30 years I still have the choice between "lesbians for straight folk"  and "do it ourselves on a shoestring budget"  Oh, and of course the ever popular "subtext" ;-)
                        (with a handfull of exceptions, and I guess we can just about take that handful quite literary)

                        Nah, I keep to writing instead of watching TV.

                        To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                        From: rinucz@...
                        Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 23:29:44 +0200

                        Indeed, Sophia. Well, but aside from cinematography, there actually
                        comes other media stuff, comics Dykes to Watch Out For. At first it
                        has a couple, later they have a son plus they have lifes (not in TLW
                        style where one wonders when they even have time to raise their kid,
                        lol - ah, that's another case). However the end of comics was kind of
                        hard to read sometimes, it was neat.

                        R.

                        2009/8/29 Sophia Moon <sophia_moon@ hotmail.com>:

                        > It seems filmmakers can't even imagine families where there's 2 mums who
                        > have been together from way before the kids are born, instead of a divorced
                        > mum and her girlfriend.
                        > And schoolmates being cool with it? (after having been curious for a bit, of
                        > course)  Impossible. ; -)
                        >

                        > ____________ _________ _________ __
                        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups .com
                        > From: rinucz@gmail. com
                        > Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 22:45:56 +0200
                        > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Lesbians raising a son?
                        >

                        > Hehe, yeah, it was really dramatic, almost in the end of the movie I
                        > couldn't hold myself back and not said, "No, not go there, too."
                        > Though, pupils were surprisingly willing to admit something to their
                        > teacher (in comparison to a reality).

                        > 2009/8/29 Sophia Moon <sophia_moon@ hotmail.com>:
                        >>

                        >> reality isn't half as dramatic as in that movie, I can tell you that. ;-)
                        >> (or rather: our sons can tell you that)
                        >>
                        >> and back to lurker mode, because this isn't really yuri related.
                        >> ____________ _________ _________ __
                        >> To: Yuricon@yahoogroups .com
                        >> From: rinucz@gmail. com
                        >> Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:32:23 +0200
                        >> Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Lesbians raising a son?
                        >>

                        >> Hi,
                        >>
                        >> Recently I have seen Des parents pas comme les autres, a non-anime
                        >> drama french movie focused on a daughter of lesbian who lives with her
                        >> female partner. Otherwise I don't know any such movie/series, sadly.
                        >>
                        >> R.
                        >>
                        >> 2009/8/26 ryogahibiki99 <sparkthatbled07@ googlemail. com>:
                        >>> This is probably just one of my mental fanfic ideas, so just bear with
                        >>> me...
                        >>>
                        >>> Recently I've been bandying about with this thread on the Anime
                        >>> Addventure
                        >>> which has a mass crossover with Urusei Yatsura, Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2
                        >>> involved, and I wrote an episode where Shinobu and Ryuunosuke had sort of
                        >>> become a couple, in the context that by convoluted reasons set by the
                        >>> original writer, Shinobu had fallen pregnant and Ryuunosuke is trying her
                        >>> best to care for her...

                      • Erin Subramanian
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 29, 2009
                          ryogahibiki99 wrote:

                          >And this has got me to thinking... Haruka and Michiru did a good job in raising Hotaru in Sailor Moon Super S, but is thre any other cases of a lesbian oouple in manga raising a son? Or in the media in general?

                          The one manga example I can think of is The Life of Ichabod by Shouji
                          Hiroyuki. Two women have a son together, though one leaves them before
                          the story begins. The scanlators' site seems to be gone now, but you can
                          download chapter 1 at http://yurizuki.net/irc_mirror.html#yuri

                          Erin
                        • Sophia Moon
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 29, 2009
                            yeah, there's some positive examples, I'm not too sombre about that.

                            To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                            From: bittersweet_me09@...
                            Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:21:46 +0000

                            Well, there are pretty random, positive examples, too. Like that sitcom, 'STILL STANDING' with Mark Addy.
                            A lesbian couple moves into the house next to the family the show is about. The two women have a teenage son who becomes friends with the daughter of the Miller family. It's all rather normal. Well, as normal as a comedy-show can get ;)

                            Jo

                            ---