Re: What are you watching, late summer 2009 edition

  • pachy_boy
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 22, 2009

      > What are you watching this season?

      I'm watching Aoi Hana like everyone else for the same reasons. For everything else, I'm basically checking out what's on Funimation Online, primarily with two series. One is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood--having never read the manga, it's interesting seeing how the original story is playing out compared to the original highly-praised anime. The other is Requieum for the Phantom, a Bee Train gun-action show that's different from Noir/Madlax only in a way that the main protagonist is a guy this time around. Having just learned that Canaan is a Type-Moon title, I'd like to see that one but wouldn't know where since it doesn't seem to be on Crunchyroll or ANN (aside from Aoi Hana, I try not watching anything on Crunchyroll because I tire from seeing the logo pop up every few minutes/seconds)--Pachy
    • Neo Hrtgdv "Lioncito"
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 25, 2009
        It's my turn!

        As far as yuri goes I'm watching:

        Saki: I learned to play mahjong just to beter understand the series, do
        it, it'll make it much more enjoyable when you see saki with 4 pons and
        you just *know* she'll make a 4 kans hand :P if you wnat to play I found a
        pretty and simple online game which I've become addicted to:
        http(doubledot)//www(dot)gamedesign(dot)jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e(dot)html

        Aoi Hana: Beutiful, I joke saying it's like marimite with more sex, I
        (usually) get told back that it's more realistic, either way I think too
        this is the gateway anime we've been waiting for, and so, the prophecy
        came true: the odd years of yuri.

        canaan: downloaded it, haven't watched yet, but if it's like
        madlax/noir/el cazador I tihnk I'll enjoy it

        as far as non yuri goes I am watching:

        Bakemonogatari: Don't know what people think of it, I find it briliant,
        artistic and cool, I really like it (plus the ending is beautiful!)
      • sarcastic_weasel
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 28, 2009
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Neo Hrtgdv \"Lioncito\"" <neohrtgdv@...> wrote:

          > as far as non yuri goes I am watching:
          >
          > Bakemonogatari: Don't know what people think of it, I find it briliant,
          > artistic and cool, I really like it (plus the ending is beautiful!)

          I just took an afternoon to catch up on Bakemonogatari since I was sick with a cold, and I agree, it's an awesome little series. It's animated by SHAFT, so if you find their style annoying... well, don't bother. It's very SHAFT-y. But they do turn the production values up a notch, with great dialogue, whacked-out characters, and strange encounters with the paranormal.

          That said, I had to hit pause a lot to read walls of text that race by in the beginning. Thanks, SHAFT. -_-

          Yuri-related, they just finished a 3-ep arc with a yuri-theme, but I don't want to spoil it. All I'll say is that it's hard to figure out if the EPL is more psychotic than the non-EPL, though. XD
        • Grisznak
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 29, 2009
            Hi
            Currently I'm watching:
            Princess Lover - because it's funny. Yeah, it's pretty rare to find harem comedy that is simply funny, not stupid. This serie has really good humor.
            Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas - I'm Saint Seiya freak, it was one of my first anime serie (along with Sailor Moon), so I still have a big sentiment to this. New serie is not something impressive, but it's good.
            cheers
            Grisznak

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 29, 2009
              > It's animated by SHAFT, [...] they do turn the production valuesup a
              > notch, with great dialogue, whacked-out characters, andstrange
              > encounters with the paranormal.

              Totally agree, nice characters with an out of the normal dialogue

              > That said, I had to hit pause a lot to read walls of text thatrace by in
              > the beginning. Thanks, SHAFT. -_-

              I didn't, I just let it be :P

              > Yuri-related, they just finished a 3-ep arc with a yuri-theme,but I
              > don't want to spoil it. All I'll say is that it's hardto figure out if
              > the EPL is more psychotic than the non-EPL, though. XD

              I haven't seen all the suruga monkey arc (the yuri one) but I give it
              extra points for mentioning the word "Yuri" on the show.
              Also, people might be happy (or not) to find a character with actual
              lesbian identity, you *must* watch at least this arc and the first
              one to understand who the main chars are, you can skip the loli arc
            • sarcastic_weasel
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 30, 2009
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Neo Hrtgdv \"Lioncito\"" <neohrtgdv@...> wrote:

                > > It's animated by SHAFT, [...] they do turn the production valuesup a
                > > notch, with great dialogue, whacked-out characters, andstrange
                > > encounters with the paranormal.
                >
                > Totally agree, nice characters with an out of the normal dialogue
                >
                > > That said, I had to hit pause a lot to read walls of text thatrace by in
                > > the beginning. Thanks, SHAFT. -_-
                >
                > I didn't, I just let it be :P
                >
                > > Yuri-related, they just finished a 3-ep arc with a yuri-theme,but I
                > > don't want to spoil it. All I'll say is that it's hardto figure out if
                > > the EPL is more psychotic than the non-EPL, though. XD
                >
                > I haven't seen all the suruga monkey arc (the yuri one) but I give it
                > extra points for mentioning the word "Yuri" on the show.
                > Also, people might be happy (or not) to find a character with actual
                > lesbian identity, you *must* watch at least this arc and the first
                > one to understand who the main chars are, you can skip the loli arc

                I wouldn't call these spoilers, really, just a justification for not skipping the second arc (Mayoi Snail) and running straight for the yuri (Suruga Monkey).

                The second arc (Mayoi Snail) gives some good insights into the relationship between Araragi and Senjougahara, and some of the inner... well... for lack of a better term f'ed-up-ed-ness of Araragi (as well as Senjougahara).

                Also, you start to see how Araragi takes ohitoyoshi to an extreme. (Ohitoyoshi is a term for people who are too nice to others to the point where it hurts themselves.)

                The new opening for the third ep in Suruga Monkey really gets out the Yuri Bat, with lilies all over the place... almost.

                Whatever you're interested in, I think it's a great series full of totally messed up people, and I think that's more important than anything else. The character interaction and dialogue is what keeps me hooked, moreso than anything specific.
              • samantha luquin
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 30, 2009

                  I'm not watching much of anything really though I have plans to watch things. I am, or was, watching the Aoi Hana anime. Things I plan to watch include: Audition, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, the fourth season of Marimite and lots of Ghibli films.

                  I am reading Pieta and Hourou Musuko at the moment. I plan to start reading Honey&Honey and Plica soon...I have a long list of stuff to read and watch. Gah.

                  -Samantha

                • Neo Hrtgdv "Lioncito"
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 31, 2009
                    Also wathcing Canaan now. It has it's up and dows, has all the elements of
                    an "ok" anime, good action, pretty girls, funny man, serious man with dark
                    past, conspiracy, dark secret groups, people going apeshit insane/getting
                    superpowers, girls with guns, EPL, funny sidekick. etc..

                    Regardless of actual quality, I find myself enjoying it, so I'll keep on
                    watching for now.
                  • michiru29
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2009
                      The summer 2009 list

                      The Best

                      1. CANAAN - Alphard! <3
                      2. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - T.T
                      3. Bakemonogatari (Hitagi Crab, Sugura Monkey) - Shaft FTW! Saitou Chiwa too.

                      The Rest

                      4. Zan Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei - "Zetsubo Sensei drawing song. Shall we begin?"

                      The OLD

                      5. FMA Brotherhood
                      6. Haruhi 2009