What are you watching, late summer 2009 edition

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 21, 2009
      Hi all -

      For once I'm asking this question not because there's nothing to watch this season, but that there's too much! I actually have to keep a written list this season so I know what last episode of what anime I watched. :-)

      Here's my top three watches this season:

      Saki - Oh god this is a really dumb anime. Competitive mahjong, snoooze. The service is just this side of ewww without being really anything, and the animation makes mahjong look SO much more amazing than it is. Watching paint dry? Yes, about on par. Lots of female pairings if you don't have any pride. :-)

      Taisho Yakyuu Musume - So barely Yuri that if that's why you're watching you are totally missing the point. This is the sleeper hit of the season - it's a perfect mix of it's elements.

      Aoi Hana - This is so far superior to anything I had imagined that I can barely describe it. The animation is lovely, the story is an actual story, the characters are real and likeable. I still maintain that this is finally the Yuri gateway we've been waiting for.

      B-Team:

      Canaan - Crap. yes. Don't care. I like it

      C Team:

      Kanamemo
      Umi Monogatari
      Needless

      I'm also following a pile of non-Yuri.

      What are you watching this season?

      Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
      http://okazu.blogspot.com
    • Laquandus Marion
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 21, 2009
        Saki-Over-top mahjog antics and broken characters but lots of yuri pairings
        Kanamemo-Haruka's pedophilia it really getting on my nerves but Yume/Yuuki is worth the torture
        Canaan-Good action show
        Aoi Hana-A nice show dealing with realistic characters

        I have lots of shows on backlog I need to watch before year's end

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 21, 2009

          > What are you watching this season?

          I am watching Saki and I would say that everything that does not involve the main two characters is absolute gold. The manga was clearly written by someone who realized that in sports anime the rival/antagonists where always more interesting then the main characters.

          Aoi Hana: For some reason people are calling this genius which is silly because EVERYONE IN THE WORLD WHO COUNTS AS A PERSON has already read the manga knows it is pure fantastic and simply looks forward to the next episode of the anime so that we can smugly agree with how the director has chosen to present each scene.

          Canaan: I am a fan of both Type-Moon and 428: Fūsasareta Shibuya de. So no one should trust my opinion on Canaan because I am pre-programmed to love it. I personally do not think it counts as Yuri and episode seven was very well made.

          As far as Non Yuri goes:

          Valkyria Chronicles: Grr, they destroyed Welkin's character...

          Umineko no Naku Koro ni: It's like the novel with all the smart bits cut out. Still fun though.

          Taishou Yakyuu Musume: Good sports anime are fun. This is a good sports anime.

          GA: Suspiciously looks like a rip off but is not. Created when the artist who made the superb 'Shoulder a Coffin Kuro' decided to do something unoriginal for a change. Funnier than most of the other 4-panel stuff though.

          Air Master: Not new but out on crunchy roll and I don't need much nudging to re-watch this: http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Air_Master.

          Go, go watch it now.
        • sarcastic_weasel
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 21, 2009
            Yuri-wise:

            Saki-- Yeah, Erica, it's braindead, but we're all watching it anyway. :D I agree that the more interesting characters are the non-mains. Like Yumi and Momo. And of course Touka. "Hmph! Desu wa!" I enjoy rewatching her match with Nodoka just to hear her add "desu wa" to *everything*. Funny stuff. And of course lightning eyes... yeah...

            Kanamemo-- Ugh. I have real mixed feelings about this show. It has cute bits, but Haruka seriously needs to fall into a smooth-walled pit. A deep one.

            Non-yuri:

            Sora no Manimani-- I love this series. The art matches well with the manga, and the series is following the manga pretty closely. (In reality, Mihoshi would drive everyone around her into a murderous rage, but this is fantasy, so it's okay.)

            GA-- More interesting than Hidamari Sketch. Cute and funny.

            Umi Monogatari-- I love Kanon as a character. She's definitely not perfect, but she's a good person, even if she has a dark side. But this anime still makes me cringe at times. Marin is starting to get on my nerves.

            Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahou-- Hmm. Not really sure how I feel about this series. It has its moments, and I can see the potential, but the execution is kind of a mess. Storylines are just all over the place. But I'm still watching it.

            Tears to Tiara-- Still watching this. Yes, it's trashy. Yes, it's predictable. So what? It doesn't have to be a masterpiece to be entertaining. Arawn is just fun.

            Valkyria Chronicles-- This one has been a bit of a hash. The art is really pretty, but if you've played the game at all, you're liable to fly into a NerdRage at the way the anime treats your favorite characters. If you haven't, you won't care. :D

            Need to catch up on:
            Spice and Wolf II, AoiHana, and Taisho Takyuu Musume... whenever I have the time. I don't really have an opinion on those.
          • Nick Perez
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 21, 2009
              The only 2009 anime I'm watching is

              Umineko
              K-on
              Haruhi Suzumiya 2

              but if there's others I'll let you know

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 21, 2009
                What a great question! The responses give me ideas on what to check out.
                It has been a very busy summer so not much time for anime or manga right now but I do manage to watch Aoi Hana - because I have to! So addictive...
                Though it's not yuri, I have been re-watching seasons 1 and 2 of Emma as my partner has not yet seen it and I've kinda got her hooked on it.

                And when I get to a bit more time, Noir, is back on my Netflix queue...

                Cheers,
                Grace

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 22, 2009
                  My turn.

                  I'm watching:

                  Aoi Hana: obvious choice of course. Love the manga love the anime.

                  Saki: It actually makes Majong look interesting. Plus the characters make me laugh.

                  Taisho Yakyuu Musume: The review on Okazu was spot on. The story and setting are great. I love period pieces but it is great to see one set in the crossover period. I like that some of the girls are dressed modern (for the time) and others are still in traditional garb.

                  And the story is great. The growth of the characters is great to watch.

                  Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahou: Silly magic in modern times but I'm enjoying it.

                  Kanamemo: Kana's voice grates on me sometimes. But I chuckle while watching the show, so it evens out in the end.

                  GA: Fun so far.

                  Canaan: Downloaded it but still haven't watched it. But it sounds really interesting.

                  That's it that's all.

                  Sandman7
                • pachy_boy
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 22, 2009

                    > What are you watching this season?

                    I'm watching Aoi Hana like everyone else for the same reasons. For everything else, I'm basically checking out what's on Funimation Online, primarily with two series. One is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood--having never read the manga, it's interesting seeing how the original story is playing out compared to the original highly-praised anime. The other is Requieum for the Phantom, a Bee Train gun-action show that's different from Noir/Madlax only in a way that the main protagonist is a guy this time around. Having just learned that Canaan is a Type-Moon title, I'd like to see that one but wouldn't know where since it doesn't seem to be on Crunchyroll or ANN (aside from Aoi Hana, I try not watching anything on Crunchyroll because I tire from seeing the logo pop up every few minutes/seconds)--Pachy
                  • Neo Hrtgdv "Lioncito"
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 25, 2009
                      It's my turn!

                      As far as yuri goes I'm watching:

                      Saki: I learned to play mahjong just to beter understand the series, do
                      it, it'll make it much more enjoyable when you see saki with 4 pons and
                      you just *know* she'll make a 4 kans hand :P if you wnat to play I found a
                      pretty and simple online game which I've become addicted to:
                      http(doubledot)//www(dot)gamedesign(dot)jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e(dot)html

                      Aoi Hana: Beutiful, I joke saying it's like marimite with more sex, I
                      (usually) get told back that it's more realistic, either way I think too
                      this is the gateway anime we've been waiting for, and so, the prophecy
                      came true: the odd years of yuri.

                      canaan: downloaded it, haven't watched yet, but if it's like
                      madlax/noir/el cazador I tihnk I'll enjoy it

                      as far as non yuri goes I am watching:

                      Bakemonogatari: Don't know what people think of it, I find it briliant,
                      artistic and cool, I really like it (plus the ending is beautiful!)
                    • sarcastic_weasel
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 28, 2009
                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Neo Hrtgdv \"Lioncito\"" <neohrtgdv@...> wrote:

                        > as far as non yuri goes I am watching:
                        >
                        > Bakemonogatari: Don't know what people think of it, I find it briliant,
                        > artistic and cool, I really like it (plus the ending is beautiful!)

                        I just took an afternoon to catch up on Bakemonogatari since I was sick with a cold, and I agree, it's an awesome little series. It's animated by SHAFT, so if you find their style annoying... well, don't bother. It's very SHAFT-y. But they do turn the production values up a notch, with great dialogue, whacked-out characters, and strange encounters with the paranormal.

                        That said, I had to hit pause a lot to read walls of text that race by in the beginning. Thanks, SHAFT. -_-

                        Yuri-related, they just finished a 3-ep arc with a yuri-theme, but I don't want to spoil it. All I'll say is that it's hard to figure out if the EPL is more psychotic than the non-EPL, though. XD
                      • Grisznak
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 29, 2009
                          Hi
                          Currently I'm watching:
                          Princess Lover - because it's funny. Yeah, it's pretty rare to find harem comedy that is simply funny, not stupid. This serie has really good humor.
                          Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas - I'm Saint Seiya freak, it was one of my first anime serie (along with Sailor Moon), so I still have a big sentiment to this. New serie is not something impressive, but it's good.
                          cheers
                          Grisznak

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 29, 2009
                            > It's animated by SHAFT, [...] they do turn the production valuesup a
                            > notch, with great dialogue, whacked-out characters, andstrange
                            > encounters with the paranormal.

                            Totally agree, nice characters with an out of the normal dialogue

                            > That said, I had to hit pause a lot to read walls of text thatrace by in
                            > the beginning. Thanks, SHAFT. -_-

                            I didn't, I just let it be :P

                            > Yuri-related, they just finished a 3-ep arc with a yuri-theme,but I
                            > don't want to spoil it. All I'll say is that it's hardto figure out if
                            > the EPL is more psychotic than the non-EPL, though. XD

                            I haven't seen all the suruga monkey arc (the yuri one) but I give it
                            extra points for mentioning the word "Yuri" on the show.
                            Also, people might be happy (or not) to find a character with actual
                            lesbian identity, you *must* watch at least this arc and the first
                            one to understand who the main chars are, you can skip the loli arc
                          • sarcastic_weasel
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 30, 2009
                              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Neo Hrtgdv \"Lioncito\"" <neohrtgdv@...> wrote:

                              > > It's animated by SHAFT, [...] they do turn the production valuesup a
                              > > notch, with great dialogue, whacked-out characters, andstrange
                              > > encounters with the paranormal.
                              >
                              > Totally agree, nice characters with an out of the normal dialogue
                              >
                              > > That said, I had to hit pause a lot to read walls of text thatrace by in
                              > > the beginning. Thanks, SHAFT. -_-
                              >
                              > I didn't, I just let it be :P
                              >
                              > > Yuri-related, they just finished a 3-ep arc with a yuri-theme,but I
                              > > don't want to spoil it. All I'll say is that it's hardto figure out if
                              > > the EPL is more psychotic than the non-EPL, though. XD
                              >
                              > I haven't seen all the suruga monkey arc (the yuri one) but I give it
                              > extra points for mentioning the word "Yuri" on the show.
                              > Also, people might be happy (or not) to find a character with actual
                              > lesbian identity, you *must* watch at least this arc and the first
                              > one to understand who the main chars are, you can skip the loli arc

                              I wouldn't call these spoilers, really, just a justification for not skipping the second arc (Mayoi Snail) and running straight for the yuri (Suruga Monkey).

                              The second arc (Mayoi Snail) gives some good insights into the relationship between Araragi and Senjougahara, and some of the inner... well... for lack of a better term f'ed-up-ed-ness of Araragi (as well as Senjougahara).

                              Also, you start to see how Araragi takes ohitoyoshi to an extreme. (Ohitoyoshi is a term for people who are too nice to others to the point where it hurts themselves.)

                              The new opening for the third ep in Suruga Monkey really gets out the Yuri Bat, with lilies all over the place... almost.

                              Whatever you're interested in, I think it's a great series full of totally messed up people, and I think that's more important than anything else. The character interaction and dialogue is what keeps me hooked, moreso than anything specific.
                            • samantha luquin
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 30, 2009

                                I'm not watching much of anything really though I have plans to watch things. I am, or was, watching the Aoi Hana anime. Things I plan to watch include: Audition, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, the fourth season of Marimite and lots of Ghibli films.

                                I am reading Pieta and Hourou Musuko at the moment. I plan to start reading Honey&Honey and Plica soon...I have a long list of stuff to read and watch. Gah.

                                -Samantha

                              • Neo Hrtgdv "Lioncito"
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 31, 2009
                                  Also wathcing Canaan now. It has it's up and dows, has all the elements of
                                  an "ok" anime, good action, pretty girls, funny man, serious man with dark
                                  past, conspiracy, dark secret groups, people going apeshit insane/getting
                                  superpowers, girls with guns, EPL, funny sidekick. etc..

                                  Regardless of actual quality, I find myself enjoying it, so I'll keep on
                                  watching for now.
                                • michiru29
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 7, 2009
                                    The summer 2009 list

                                    The Best

                                    1. CANAAN - Alphard! <3
                                    2. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - T.T
                                    3. Bakemonogatari (Hitagi Crab, Sugura Monkey) - Shaft FTW! Saitou Chiwa too.

                                    The Rest

                                    4. Zan Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei - "Zetsubo Sensei drawing song. Shall we begin?"

                                    The OLD

                                    5. FMA Brotherhood
                                    6. Haruhi 2009